Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A quick look at THIS ISLAND EARTH (16x9) from the U.K.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,988 posts

Posted March 28 2013 - 07:18 PM

The moment I found out this was available in something a bit closer to the intended AR than the full-screen version we've been used to, I sent for it (very cheap, too!).

THIS ISLAND EARTH was apparently meant to be seen with an aspect ratio of 2.00:1, and this disc is framed at 1.85:1. All that wasted space over everyone's heads is reduced to much more pleasing levels. The color saturation is roughly what it was on the U.S. release (okay, but not resembling Technicolor), and this may have been derived from the same source. The image is sharp as a tack -- the grain structure and details are just right to my eye. Nice to see it in this format. Sound is what you'd expect. Running time with PAL is about 82 minutes. There are no bonus features.

Edited by Dick, March 28 2013 - 07:18 PM.

#2 of 6 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,015 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 29 2013 - 05:55 AM

Where did you find it? I can't find it on Amazon UK. Is it region encoded?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#3 of 6 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,988 posts

Posted March 29 2013 - 09:08 AM

Where did you find it? I can't find it on Amazon UK. Is it region encoded?

Like all DVD's from Europe, it is region-encoded [2] and requires PAL/NTSC conversion.

Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.co...64576805&sr=1-1

#4 of 6 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,015 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 29 2013 - 02:37 PM

Ah, it's a DVD. I had assumed it was a blu ray. My mistake.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#5 of 6 Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted April 08 2013 - 12:01 AM

Like all DVD's from Europe, it is region-encoded [2]

That's simply not true. Lots of European DVDs are region free.

They will be in PAL, though, so that may be an obstacle for many US users.

#6 of 6 Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted April 14 2013 - 04:57 AM

I've had this DVD for a while, the film is a big favorite of mine, I prefer it to Forbidden Planet. The 16:9 aspect ratio looks right & it has nice rich colours. The only problem I can see is white negative sparkle, mostly very small, but a lot of it. Do it right & it would look great on Blu-ray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users