What's new

Need Help # 2 (1 Viewer)

natestarsfan

Agent
Real Name
Nathan
I have a Denon AVR-791 7.1 Receiver and a Velodyne VRP1200 Sub...I'm needing speakers...Ive narrowed it down to four choices..I leave it in the experts hands....what should I and why?

Polk TL 150's
Polk R85's
Energy Take Classic 5.0
Klipsch Quintet 5.0

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By default, out of that bunch...I'd pick the RM85, cause at least you get "close" to a proper subwoofer crossover. Those supposedly reach 95hz. None of the rest reach 120.

By Rock/Paper/Scissors I was intending to mean...

Write all 4 on a piece of paper, throw them in a hat and eithe buy the first you choose out of the hat...or shake the hat 3 times and the last one still in the hat. Cause...

1. None of them is stellar.
2. None of them is going to "rock the house"
3. However, they will all outperform what you had.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way..."rock/paper/scissors...or "lottery" method is how you buy speakers these days...whether you are spending $200-ish, $2000-ish or $20,000-ish.

Unless you are willing to buy all 4, and listen to them all...at your house...

That is what you will have to do.

natestarsfan

Agent
Real Name
Nathan
I bought the energy take 5.o speakers....now I'm looking for the other 2 to complete my 7.1......can I get 2 Polk R7's and mix them with the Take's...for the rear surrounds? or should I get 2 Polk R8's and use those for the front L & R and the Takes as all surrounds??

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, the the entire Take as center and surrounds.

The bonus to the CB-5 is you can set a proper main-channel crossover of 80hz.

The subwoofer can then be set at 80(so it can do its job), then your center/surrounds will be set at 120.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It isn't "unheard of" to buy a 5.0(or 5.1) set for center/surround duty while buying bigger main. The KEF KHT are prime examples of center/surround for use with iQ and Q main speakers.

natestarsfan

Agent
Real Name
Nathan
awesome....I might holler at you again when I start to set up my system.....might need help adjusting the crossover etc....just ordered my banana plugs..speaker wire and "Y" plug with RCA for my sub.....Man I love Monoprice! they are awesome..... Be on the lookout for "Help # 3"! LOL and thanks again!

natestarsfan

Agent
Real Name
Nathan
the sub has two rca channels a L and a R .....Velodyne even recommended to get the best sound to use the Y cable....they even include a cable like it when the unit was purchased.....are you sure?

natestarsfan

Agent
Real Name
Nathan
velodyne vrp1200.jpg

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
natestarsfan said:
the sub has two rca channels a L and a R .....Velodyne even recommended to get the best sound to use the Y cable....they even include a cable like it when the unit was purchased.....are you sure?
We are sure. If you remove the amp from the sub box and look at the back side of those 2 RCA inputs, there will be a summing circuit installed. It is a requirement since these subs were designed to work with both mono LFE outputs as well as stereo pre-amp level outputs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And if you notice, the White One even says...LFE(with a line leading to it)

Which if it really is LFE, if you connect, just that one, the crossover knob is rendered useless(as in it is being bypassed). Which you bought an AVR with bass management...which means you aren't using the one in the subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks