What's new

World War Z (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just saw the latest trailer for WWZ at IMDB and it looks tremendous, can't wait for this one.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Is this going to be PG-13?

The trailer looked great but then again so did the one for THE CALL. I know there's been all sorts of budget and production issues but I'm interested in seeing how people take it in.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
PG-13 it is. Since its more of an action film than horror, that makes sense

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, notes from the author today aren't super positive.

During a recent interview at Mansfield University, World War Z author Max Brooks was asked about his novel's adaptation to the big screen, and he said he expects the film will have the same title "and that's it." But Brooks doesn't sound too angry about all the changes the screenwriters may have heaped on his baby. As the son of legendary writer/director/comedian Mel Brooks and Oscar-winning actress Anne Bancroft, he knows how Hollywood works.
http://www.blastr.com/2013-5-13/world-war-z-novelist-says-movie-kept-his-title-and-thats-it

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I read and enjoyed the book "World War Z". I felt it was better served as a miniseries note a movie. But, I was willing to give it a shot as a movie. I still will. I am just going to see it as a zombie movie that happens to share the same name as the book. Still bums me out since the book was enjoyable as it was.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
At what point does a movie get so far away from the supposed source material that you have to ask "Why did you pay royalties for the source you didn't use?" I have wondered if they are going to totally rewrite the story then why not just call is something else and not pay for the name?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Chuck Anstey said:
At what point does a movie get so far away from the supposed source material that you have to ask "Why did you pay royalties for the source you didn't use?" I have wondered if they are going to totally rewrite the story then why not just call is something else and not pay for the name?
i'm guessing that they are banking on name recognition to draw people into the theater. If they just called it "Brand X Zombie Movie" they likely won't get the same attendence numbers.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Richard V said:
i'm guessing that they are banking on name recognition to draw people into the theater. If they just called it "Brand X Zombie Movie" they likely won't get the same attendence numbers.
But there is a risk of backlash and big negative reviews from "false advertising" when the movie is like the book in name only even though the movie might be just fine on its own.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I think it looks good. I have not read the books though so I can't compare the two.In fact I didn't even know it was a book. I do now and now I want to read it!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The film version of The Lost World bore very little resemblance to the novel.

mike caronia

Second Unit
Chuck Anstey said:
Agreed, ZOMBIES ATTACK BRAD PITT would haul a bigger box office methinks.. :)

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I am a huge fan of the book. It got me started on a trend where I read a LOT of zombie novels. Some great, many forgettable.

This movie, as others have said, looks nothing like the book. Perhaps the only similarity of will be Brad Pitt seraching the globe for patient zero. That was not part of the novel either, but it would help in giving the viewer the global scale of the disaster.

I think this looks like a very well made movie and I will certainly go see it. However, I still really recommend people to read the book.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
This looks like it could be a fun night out at the pictures (all you can expect from a summer blockbuster). Of course spending that much money, they're going to go light on the horror - no zombies pulling heads off & eating human guts, but there's plenty of films where you can get that.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Scott McGillivray said:
I think this looks like a very well made movie and I will certainly go see it. However, I still really recommend people to read the book.
Me too. Trying to stick to the narrative of the book would make it an extremely long, expensive (not that it isn't already), and potentially confusing plot line.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'm about to see an 8 pm showing. I'm going in with low expectations. Hopefully it will entertain.Sent from some type of mobile device using some sort of message forum app.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Todd H said:
I'm about to see an 8 pm showing. I'm going in with low expectations. Hopefully it will entertain. Sent from some type of mobile device using some sort of message forum app.
Same here. Starts in 15 minutes. Just hanging around now. Going to see it and Bling Ring tonight. Catching Monsters University with the kids in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks