What's new

Suggestions for Home theatre setup (1 Viewer)

marksj

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Johnson
I will start off with what we have first.A 60 in Vizio TV.The TV is mounted on a wall.The room demensions are 30 ft by 30 ft with an 8 ft ceiling.This room is a gathering area/classroom.We are on a tight budget and would like to buy componets as needed or when money allows.Reciever that could handle the following.The system will be used 30% of the time for movies 40% of the time for educational clips and 30% of the time just as a PA.I was thinking bookshelf speakers on the front add subwoofer and centering speaker later and something for the rear.Any suggestions or help would greatly be apprciated.I will answer any questions as I am sure I am leaving something out.Thanks in advance

marksj

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Johnson
Blatz LOL $500 to $1000 can we get a reciever pa and a few speakers for under $500.Like I said we can always add extra speakers later.Thanks for the reply

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, before I mention anything, what do you mean by PA?

Karaoke? Or what?

Cause if Karoake...you could always add something like this....to anything...
http://www.amazon.com/iLive-Karaoke-Machine-iPod-Black/dp/B001BJAA86/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364397409&sr=1-2&keywords=ilive+karaoke+machine (I haven't looked at this one fully. As long as the thing you buy has a headphone jack, you can connect it to any stereo you could buy. I use an older iLive Karaoke box...well, I don't...kids do)

marksj

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Johnson
We would like to have something for a person that is speaking to a group in this room.Something like this
Pyle PFA300 90 Watt Class T Hi-Fi Stereo Amplifier with Adapter
About $30 at amazon

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok, with that, you just buy a pair of speakers and you are done.

What "else" are you connecting?

CD?
Ipod?

Just hook them up to it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just realize you don't "need" PA speakers. A PA speaker is intended to only produce "spoken word".

Since they only produce spoken word, they'll handle a "bunch of power"(cause the midrange is a "power sucking scourge").

With "normal" full range speakers, you'll have a bit of trial and error finding a good balance on the gain. Essentially, start "low" and turn it up as needed.

marksj

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Johnson
In order to get decent sound for movies and cds would'nt a reciever be needed?I was thinkig at some point in time we could have up to 6 speakers installed.And then I could run hdmi cords from the TV to the reciever.Any suggestions on a reciever or speakers to get us started?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...

Which way do you "want" to do this?

If you separated the two...that $30 amp and a pair of these...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gemini-gt-1004-10-pa-speaker?src=3WWRAMZ&mr:trackingCode=7023A2E4-EC2C-E211-8D02-001517384908&mr:referralID=NA (No I didn't read reviews...they just have a nice price).

$150 and you are done...with the PA part.

Then you have $350 to spend elsewhere...(since you want HDMI)...
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V88ZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364405616&sr=1-1&keywords=HTS5500

Or, you buy one of those "iLive Karoke boxes" and connect it to the Onkyo(type) system.

Either is the correct answer...and in budget.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Pros of separating...

In case something "breaks"...you still have the other half.
In case you want to take the PA outside...great.
If you want to talk "over" the movie/music...you don't have to worry about destroying anything.

Cons...

More stuff.

Pros of buying "one for all"

One thing to turn off and on

Cons

One thing breaks...oops.

marksj

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Johnson
Ok great.Now remember I am totally stupid when it comes to this(I am sure you can tell that by now!)Would there be any reason to have to seperate the 2?Also I am eating lunch so I will check out the options more tonight.Will the Onkyo system work in that large of a room?Thanks for all your help so far and sorry for being such a noob.

marksj

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Johnson
schan1269 said:
Pros of separating...

In case something "breaks"...you still have the other half.
In case you want to take the PA outside...great.
If you want to talk "over" the movie/music...you don't have to worry about destroying anything.

Cons...

More stuff.

Pros of buying "one for all"

One thing to turn off and on

Cons

One thing breaks...oops.
Ok great you posted before I responed thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks