What's new

My New/Used DIY Subwoofer Project.. (1 Viewer)

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hey Everybody,

Been a while since I have been posting in here good to be back..

Well I decided to do a DIY Subwoofer build last October.. I am nearly complete and would like to share..

Here is the parts list of the components:

1. Mach 5 IXL 18.4--18" Driver
2. Behringer iNuke nu 3000DSP Amplifier..
3. BIG BOX!!! ;)

Well here are some pics of everything. I still need to finish the cabinet, I am going to cover it in upholstery and should look rather well and it helped me not be so picky on my cuts and such..

I had been playing since I calibrated the system again and been making fine tunups since.. I think I near got it and it Sounds Fantastic.. here is a list of what I have thrown at it thus far.. some have been killer low stuff..this driver is not even breaking a sweat..

1. "1812 Overture" SACD New one..
2. Saint Saens "Organ Symphony #3"
3. Felix Hells Organ sensations..
4. Beani Man :Who Am I"
5. Tag Teams "Whoom there it is"
6. Beastie Boys "Brass Monkey" haha that was a fun one..
7. Basstronics "Bass I love you"
8. Van Halen "1984"
9. Van Halen "Sunday Afternoon in the Park"

Various other stuff this thing is a monster I tell you..So here are some pics of it.. I still need to get more pics of it in my room and when it is upholstered..

photo1kj.jpg

photo2fjc.jpg

imgp3622b.jpg

imgp3621.jpg

imgp3620.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One of the funnest subwoofers I've ever seen...of course it helps to have a blowtorch...

A guy took a non-working "wine fridge", sealed the door shut and cut the back of it off.

That is about the same size.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
I have to get an external USB soundcard as my laptop does not have a line in.. I will make some measurments with REW and then set my EQ and all up..

It doesn't sound half bad now..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mine didn't sound half bad either but after proper calibration, it is incredible. It's delecate enough to properly reporoduce the sounds of an upright acoustic bass and brutal enough to handle the alien mothership comeing up out of the ground.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Robert_J said:
Mine didn't sound half bad either but after proper calibration, it is incredible. It's delecate enough to properly reporoduce the sounds of an upright acoustic bass and brutal enough to handle the alien mothership comeing up out of the ground.
HeHe Yes I ran that as a pre test to make sure it would not kill my driver.. Sounded incredible.. I can't wait till I hear the Lightening strikes.. ;)

I do plan on running some test tones and with my SPL MEter and a Spreadsheet I have should prove usefull.. at least I will be able to get a flat responce but with REW I would imagine it should fine tune it better then the SPL meter..

But I am going to check with the spreadsheet before I watch the movie so hopefully later this afternoon I can get to do that.. Looking forward to movie night..

I had already watched Tron that was amazing..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gerald LaFrance said:
HeHe Yes I ran that as a pre test to make sure it would not kill my driver.. Sounded incredible.. I can't wait till I hear the Lightening strikes.. ;)

I do plan on running some test tones and with my SPL MEter and a Spreadsheet I have should prove usefull.. at least I will be able to get a flat responce but with REW I would imagine it should fine tune it better then the SPL meter..

But I am going to check with the spreadsheet before I watch the movie so hopefully later this afternoon I can get to do that.. Looking forward to movie night..

I had already watched Tron that was amazing..
It all depends on your mic. If you use the Rat Shack SPL meter, your REW results will be the same as the analog meter and the PEQ spreadsheet.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Well the Spreadsheet and the test tones turned out to have a Flat responce. all was within 6db of the targeted 80db..

Good to know that has a flat response from 20-120hz..
I was going to have movie night tonight but my Nephew wanted to play xBox with his friends so we canceled..

Will try Sat. night to watch War of the Worlds..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's awesome. My TC-3000 subs had an 14db inductance peak in the response at 54hz. I tamed that and flattened the rest to + or - 3db from 100hz to 17hz.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Good Job. I am curious how do you tame the responce.. say I wanted to tame I imagine with some EQ on the iNuke??

But I remember that you can not tame Peaks or valleys, Forget which one was not to be too concerned with.. Bit I did have some peaks that probllay could use some taming if they are in fact tamable..

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since you have the iNuke with Digital Signal Processing, you can easily pull down any peaks and you can attempt to boost valleys. The nice thing about the PEQ spreadsheet, it allows you to simulate the response curve. The settings are identical to a Feedback Destroyer but should work with any parametric EQ (center frequency, Q and boost/cut). Once you get the response you want, put the same settings into the DSP.

You can tame peaks but you can't boost room induced valleys.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Room induced valley=bass nullBass null is easier to research. Room treatments are the normal course of action. Fabric on the wall, rugs etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks