What's new

Olympus has Fallen Quick Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Far better than I expected; comes across a bit like a Patriot Games type film. The action is pretty good though at times not very plausible, and the storyline is typical popcorn.

Still, I found it far more effective than it could have been because there were no goofy side plots that drove it off the rails, just straight forward action.

It's definitely one I'll grab on BD, just for the special effects.

B

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That was pretty much my assessment of the movie as well Matt. I'm not a Gerard Butler fan, but he did well in this. It has a pretty strong cast.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's very silly but it was fun. Butler is OK but he's no Kiefer Sutherland (he might as well be playing Jack Bauer) but the supporting cast was made up of really good actors (Aaron Eckhart, Melissa Leo, Morgan Freeman, Angela Basset, Dylan McDermot).

And I'm a pretty jaded viewer but they must have mowed down like 100 people in this thing.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
TravisR said:
It's very silly but it was fun. Butler is OK but he's no Kiefer Sutherland (he might as well be playing Jack Bauer) but the supporting cast was made up of really good actors (Aaron Eckhart, Melissa Leo, Morgan Freeman, Angela Basset, Dylan McDermot).

And I'm a pretty jaded viewer but they must have mowed down like 100 people in this thing.
I thought Eckhart was good in it, so was Freeman and Basset. Didn't much care for McDermot... look, this isn't a film that's a classic. It's straightforward, and yes, it's a lot like "24". As to "100 people", hell, 100 were dead before they even got to the whitehouse with the random shooting of people in the streets.
The goofiest/strangest moment was the National Monument destructing and seemingly throwing brings and pieces a good distance away as people ran from it to get squashed

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yeah, the body count is quite high. It's a pretty violent film especially since our hero seemed to love knifing people in the brain.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:

More than a 100 people within the first half hour or so. I had a really good time watching this R rated film even with its implausible elements.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The only real nitpick our group could find was the Washington Monument shot. Otherwise, this is a hard R action movie with lots of blood, violence, death and cursing. It's not brilliant, but we were never ever bored by it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's basically Die Hard in the White House, if John McClane had been a highly-trained former Army Ranger with an intimate knowledge of the building. I definitely enjoyed it for what it was.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Adam Lenhardt said:
It's basically Die Hard in the White House, if John McClane had been a highly-trained former Army Ranger with an intimate knowledge of the building. I definitely enjoyed it for what it was.
Indeed. This is what A Good Day to Die Hard should have been.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The film really reminded me of those films that were made during WWII. You know, the ones that had the American flag raised high in the air and they weren't afraid to say America is better than you and we're going to kick your ass. I was really surprised at how brutal the film was. The violence was pretty much non-stop but it wasn't even afraid to beat the hell out of and kill women. Most of these films are just male on male fighting but this one here broke away from that. The plot was certainly stupid but for a popcorn movie it was a lot of fun. I thought the cast were a lot of fun even though there really weren't any "great" performances. Hey, great actors should have fun sometimes.

As others have said, perhaps Fox should have bought this screenplay and threw Willis into it for DIE HARD 5.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Terrible movie. Terrible, terrible, terrible movie. Quite possibly the dumbest movie I've seen in years - characters have to make such overtly idiotic decisions to move the plot that I couldn't help but laugh.

The actors look embarrassed to be there - and I was embarrassed for them.

Better than "Good Day to Die Hard", but not by much...

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Over at IMDB they have threads like "100 Things I Learned From This Movie." I'm sure we could create "1000 Logical Issues with Olympus Has Fallen" but I think I don't think anyone involved meant for anyone to take it too serious. I think ALL action pictures have zero bits of logic because if they did the good guy would get killed within minutes and there'd be no movie.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Over at IMDB they have threads like "100 Things I Learned From This Movie." I'm sure we could create "1000 Logical Issues with Olympus Has Fallen" but I think I don't think anyone involved meant for anyone to take it too serious. I think ALL action pictures have zero bits of logic because if they did the good guy would get killed within minutes and there'd be no movie.
I understand that, and I don't expect action flicks to be perfect bastions of logic. However, I just thought this one went above and beyond in its relentless pursuit of idiocy. The characters are such morons that I don't believe any of them could tie their shoes independently, much less achieve success in life.

I hate to be the guy that snickers smugly at a bad movie, but I couldn't help myself this time - "Olympus" was so completely moronic that I had to laugh at it. It was like a spoof of action movies, but I think they wanted us to take it seriously...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colin Jacobson said:
I actually enjoyed "Last Action Hero". I'm not an action movie snob - I just thought this one was a total dud...
To each his own as I almost couldn't watch that film from beginning to end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks