Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Song of Bernadette -- in Blu-ray

Twilight Time A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,610 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 03:43 PM

Once again, The Song of Bernadette is a beautiful nitrate production from Fox in a slightly "challenged" format, based upon secondary elements.

Photographed by Arthur C. Miller, I'd have loved to have seen what this might have looked like from the original negative, or a high end fine grain master.

Mr. Miller began his career in 1909, working for Bison, and quickly moved on to Pathe, Keystone and Astra, before joining Famous Players / Paramount in 1919.

Along the way, he photographed the original Perils of Pauline (1912), The Cheat (1923).  Those interested can research him further, but he ended up at Fox in 1932, and stayed there.  A short list of him accomplishments:

The Little Colonel

Pigskin Parade

Wee Willie Winkie

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Little Miss Broadway

The Little Princess (3-strip)

Submarine Patrol

Young Mr. Lincoln

The Rains Came

The Blue Bird (3-strip)

Johnny Apollo

Brigham Young

The Mark of Zorro

Tobacco Road

How Green Was My Valley

The Ox-Boy Incident

The Song of Bernadette

Lifeboat

Dragonwyck

Anna and the King of Siam

The Razor's Edge

Gentlemen's Agreement

A Letter to Three Wives

Whirlpool

The Gunfighter

You see where this is going.

All of them.

Destroyed in the mid-1970s.

With apologies, I see these things, and I get angry.

The Song of Bernadette is not some Bible-thumping melodrama.  This is a quality film that will have it's way with the viewer.

Great film, in it's roadshow form.  Great performances and direction.

And it look very decent.

Image - 3.5

Audio -4

Recommended.

RAH

• Rob_Ray likes this

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,130 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 22 2013 - 03:54 PM

When I was attending parochial elementary school in Katonah many years ago I saw The Song of Bernadette in the old school auditorium once a year for several years. I'll have to take another look at it.

Rich Gallagher

#3 of 6 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 22 2013 - 04:13 PM

The Song of Bernadette has been a favorite in our family for years.  I first fell under its spell when watching it on the old ABC Sunday Night Movie.  Jennifer Jones never gave a better performance, although it's a testament to her range that audiences accepted her in roles such as Madame Bovary and Duel in the Sun's Pearl Chavez after being introduced here as Bernadette.  I'm glad to hear that the roadshow overture has been included, as it's one of Alfred Newman's finest works.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,859 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 22 2013 - 10:06 PM

I too first saw this film on that ABC Sunday Night Movie slot. I was completely placed under the spell of this fine film that holds the distinct honor of being one of a handful of pre-50's films that first saw broadcast on a national network rather than sold to local stations in a package.

Wonderful to have the isolated score and the long forgotten overture that adds a special feeling to this presentation. I too feel disappointment in that a stellar image will never be seen due to the loss of the original negative, but I found this transfer to be a couple notchs above the DVD.

A very enjoyable film with excellent acting, wonderful cinematography, and that luscious Alfred Newman score.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 22 2013 - 10:45 PM

Have this in my possession now and will be viewing it during Holy Week...fell in love with this movie while attending parochial school as a kid and am grateful to have this to experience in my later years...thank you for your favorable assessment regarding its picture and sound quality presentation, Robert!!! :wub:

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,872 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted March 23 2013 - 05:31 AM

It's a nice touch to include the Overture track as a way of duplicating the roadshow version. I must say though, that as much as I'm glad to have the Blu-ray, the picture quality isn't much of a step-up from the DVD - at least not on my 47" screen.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time, A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users