What's new

Major Dundee BD Now Available for Pre-order (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I am confused. Do I not have the option to see the extended cut with the original Amfitheatrof score as I did on the DVD? Because if I don't then this just became a big fat no sale with me. The replacement score was not something I approved of, and IMO was part of an unfair attempt to blame someone for the film's shortcomings who didn't deserve it (if anyone deserves blame for why the film turned into a mess it wasn't Amfitheatrof's score or the producer, it was Sam Peckinpah and his inability to pay attention to developing a tightly constructed script)

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I ordered but have to wait until April 29 for shipping because I ordered a pre-order CD of How Green was My Valley. So I wait..... cheapest way to go for me.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Bad news for me all around. The long cut with the original score is not included so I have no reason to waste my money on this. I'm sticking with the old DVD which at least knew how to do things properly.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Doug Bull said:
Original theatrical cut on Blu-ray with Amfiftheatrof suits me fine.

Doug.
That's the version i saw when I was a lad. The new score just doesn't work for me.

While I'd like to have the new Blu-ray include the Amfiftheatrof score as an option for the extended version, I own the DVD that has it... And there are ways to have your cake and eat it too.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
TonyD said:
This bluray is not the longer cut?
The blu-ray is a 2 disc set that contains both the original theatrical cut and the extended cut (which has a newly composed score that was created in 2004/5)

Randal Gist

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Randal Gist
I am really looking forward to this, but things being tight, I guess I'll have to wait a while. Although Major Dundee is a big favorite of mine, I am guessing that it will not be an instant sellout. Peckinpah doesn't quite carry the cachet he once did.

I have to say that I am not a fan of the Amfiftheatrof score--it is not terrible (except for that damned twinkle fx and Peckinpah absolutely hated it.) but can be pretty cheesy with the Mitch Miller singers. The Christopher Caliendo score is better than okay (it's not as good as one of the Jerry's --Fielding or Goldsmith--would have done though.) My main problem with the extended edition is the sound mix, especially in the climatic river crossing fight. Lifting out the original score and not having original sound elements reworked/mixed, it is entirely too quiet. The horse hooves,clanging metal, colliding bodies and the like seemed too subdued. Oh well, Major Dundee is a tattered partial masterpiece, so I am glad to have version with as much intact footage as possible.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"Until the Apache is taken or destroyed"

Just finished watching Major Dundee for the very first time ever this afternoon.
I chose to watch the theatrical version.

Really liked the film, particularly the final battle in which the cavalry takes on the
French army across the Rio Grande.

Was nice to see some character actors that I admire including Dub Taylor (Bonnie
and Clyde) and Slim Pickens (Blazing Saddles) in roles I wish were a bit bigger.

Transfer is absolutely fantastic. I could also say the same for the film's original
trailer, which is quite unusual, as most studios don't even care to clean those up.

It's always a joy for me to discover these kind of films that I would probably have
never seen if Twilight Time has not made them available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks