Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Major Dundee BD Now Available for Pre-order

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,128 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted March 22 2013 - 03:33 PM

I'm thinking that we probably should start a new thread whenever a Twilight Time title becomes available for pre-order.

Major Dundee Blu-ray (Twilight Time)

Rich Gallagher

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted March 22 2013 - 03:34 PM

Placed my order 2 hours ago...can hardly wait for April 9th when it ships!!! :dancing-banana-04:

#3 of 15 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,170 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 03:52 PM

I am confused.    Do I not have the option to see the extended cut with the original Amfitheatrof score as I did on the DVD?    Because if I don't then this just became a big fat no sale with me.     The replacement score was not something I approved of, and IMO was part of an unfair attempt to blame someone for the film's shortcomings who didn't deserve it (if anyone deserves blame for why the film turned into a mess it wasn't Amfitheatrof's score or the producer, it was Sam Peckinpah and his inability to pay attention to developing a tightly constructed script)

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   moviepas

moviepas

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 04:12 PM

I ordered but have to wait until April 29 for shipping because I ordered a pre-order CD of How Green was My Valley. So I wait..... cheapest way to go for me. 

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 483 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted March 24 2013 - 07:20 AM

Great news!
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#6 of 15 ONLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,170 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 06:38 PM

Bad news for me all around.    The long cut with the original score is not included so I have no reason to waste my money on this.    I'm sticking with the old DVD which at least knew how to do things properly.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted March 30 2013 - 07:09 PM

Original theatrical cut on Blu-ray with Amfiftheatrof suits me fine.

Doug.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,074 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted March 30 2013 - 08:08 PM

Original theatrical cut on Blu-ray with Amfiftheatrof suits me fine.

Doug.

That's the version i saw when I was a lad. The new score just doesn't work for me.

While I'd like to have the new Blu-ray include the Amfiftheatrof score as an option for the extended version, I own the DVD that has it... And there are ways to have your cake and eat it too.

• Jack P likes this

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,246 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 30 2013 - 08:12 PM

This bluray is not the longer cut?
facebook.com/whotony

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,632 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 08:53 PM

This bluray is not the longer cut?

The blu-ray is a 2 disc set that contains both the original theatrical cut and the extended cut (which has a newly composed score that was created in 2004/5)

Edited by Peter Apruzzese, March 30 2013 - 08:54 PM.

"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Randal Gist

Randal Gist

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 06:14 AM

I am really looking forward to this, but things being tight, I guess I'll have to wait a while. Although Major Dundee is a big favorite of mine, I am guessing that it will not be an instant sellout. Peckinpah doesn't quite carry the cachet he once did.

I have to say that I am not a fan of the Amfiftheatrof score--it is not terrible (except for that damned twinkle fx and Peckinpah absolutely hated it.) but can be  pretty cheesy with the Mitch Miller singers. The Christopher Caliendo score is better than okay (it's not as good as one of the Jerry's --Fielding or Goldsmith--would have done though.) My main problem with the extended edition is the sound mix, especially in the climatic river crossing fight. Lifting out the original score and not having original sound elements reworked/mixed, it is entirely too quiet. The horse hooves,clanging metal, colliding bodies and the like seemed too subdued. Oh well, Major Dundee is a tattered partial masterpiece, so I am glad to have version with as much intact footage as possible.

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,128 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted April 03 2013 - 08:37 AM

The Screen Archives website is now saying that the release of Major Dundee has been pushed back a week to April 15.

Rich Gallagher

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 749 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 02:07 PM

March 22 - New from Twilight Time, MAJOR DUNDEE (1965) on Blu-Ray available for Pre-Order! Shipping April 9th.

Where does it say it has been pushed back?

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,246 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted April 03 2013 - 02:53 PM

Click the title name and go to the order page.
facebook.com/whotony

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,620 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 02:13 PM

"Until the Apache is taken or destroyed"

Just finished watching Major Dundee for the very first time ever this afternoon.

I chose to watch the theatrical version.

Really liked the film, particularly the final battle in which the cavalry takes on the

French army across the Rio Grande.

Was nice to see some character actors that I admire including Dub Taylor (Bonnie

and Clyde) and Slim Pickens (Blazing Saddles) in roles I wish were a bit bigger.

Transfer is absolutely fantastic.  I could also say the same for the film's original

trailer, which is quite unusual, as most studios don't even care to clean those up.

It's always a joy for me to discover these kind of films that I would probably have

never seen if Twilight Time has not made them available.   

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users