Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Lost in Space *Official* Blu-ray Release Thread -- See Post #273 for Complete Details

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

#1 of 302 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 10:12 AM

i would love to see this especially after the botched masters they used with the dvd set a few years back. Hell the columbia house video cassettes looked better than those dvds.

"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

#2 of 302 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted March 23 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'd love Blu-ray. But even if they just re-did the whole series on DVD with updated masters I'd be happy. This series really needs it, the old DVDs were sub-par.

#3 of 302 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,457 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 10:03 PM

I've said it before--that show is dying for a blu-ray upgrade, and a complete restoration.

#4 of 302 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,507 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 10:07 PM

This is Fox we're dealing with though. The idea of them doing anything right at this point when they're even releasing DVDs of movies in pan and scan format that they're airing in widescreen on Fox Movie Channel is beyond my total comprehension at this point.

#5 of 302 ONLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 6,321 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted April 22 2013 - 03:51 AM

I said I wouldn't buy the show again, but now I'm like, bring it on in Bluray!  Include the movie as a bonus and I'd probably preorder! 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#6 of 302 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,137 posts

Posted April 22 2013 - 06:56 AM

i would love to see this especially after the botched masters they used with the dvd set a few years back. Hell the columbia house video cassettes looked better than those dvds.

The Japanese Laser-Discs looked better than the DVDs. (EVen if Season three was all subtiitled - guess Japanese tracks were lost or never done.)

#7 of 302 OFFLINE   Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 02:18 PM

I would like to see and Land of the Giants on bluray. I would have expected at least one Irwin series to be tested on bluray by now.

#8 of 302 ONLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,327 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted July 26 2013 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image

THE TIME TUNNEL is coming to Blu-Ray next month in the UK, but the word is that they're just up-rezzed from the DVDs.

http://www.hometheat...august-13th-uk/

Now I see a report in THAT thread that the set is delayed.

Harry

Edited by Harry-N, July 26 2013 - 02:44 PM.

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#9 of 302 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 6,048 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 28 2013 - 12:11 PM

I would not hold my breath for a Blu release. Fox had expressed they were not happy with the sale numbers for the DVDs. Even though the real problem was poor transfers, they won't admit it.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 302 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,710 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 06:55 AM

I don't think anyone working in the Fox DVD/Blu Department will even acknowledgede that TV shows before the 1990's even exist. So I'd say chances are little to none that this will come out on Blu.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#11 of 302 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,720 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 20 2015 - 09:36 PM

POPULAR

Lost in Space is coming to Blu-Ray this fall. It's a credible source. September is what they are shooting for but it could be bumped to November or December. That's all the info I have at the moment.

books   

#12 of 302 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 21 2015 - 05:48 AM

The remaining cast minus Mark Goddard were on a morning show yesterday and I read that Bill Mumy mentioned the show coming out on Blu in September.  This was from a Lost in Space group I follow on Facebook.  Another person also claimed that the first season would be in its original black and white though didn't mention whether the series would be in its original aspect ratio or not, which I really hope it is.  Looking forward to hearing more news!  The show should look amazing on Blu-Ray!

#13 of 302 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,706 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted January 21 2015 - 05:59 AM

POPULAR

I passed on Batman, as I think once you've seen 4 or 5 of them, you've seen them all (true for a lot of these types of programmes I suppose), but would definitely buy Lost In Space. I had the DVD's, but they did look bad. I've seen the Lost In Space HD tests online & they do look good, & even the 16:9 framing worked for me. So fingers crossed for the end of the year!

https://www.youtube....h?v=0b61MAqktMc

#14 of 302 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 21 2015 - 11:58 AM

This just might be what it takes to make me upgrade to a blu-ray player! I loved this show as a kid and the few times I've watched as an adult, it has still held up well.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#15 of 302 OFFLINE   youworkmen

youworkmen

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted January 21 2015 - 02:19 PM

I thought season one of LIS looked great on dvd . 

A Bluray would be nice though if only to restore the cuts to Return from Outer Space and to put the season 3 episode trailers back in their rightful place at the end of each episode. For season 3 they were often the best thing about any of them.

#16 of 302 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,720 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted January 21 2015 - 03:31 PM

Yes, I hope it's individual seasons because the truth is I rarely watch any season 2 or 3 episodes. Usually I watch from the start up to WELCOME STRANGER, and then hand pick episodes from season one. With a few exceptions, the color episodes are as re-watchable for me. But the early B&W episodes, I'll watch till the day I die.

books   

#17 of 302 OFFLINE   Mark Collins

Mark Collins

Screenwriter

• 2,370 posts

Posted January 21 2015 - 04:19 PM

Great News!!  Here is some of that interview and also something from the Bits.

http://www.myfoxla.c...r-for-a-reunion

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/

I hope the sales are good and they release all the Irwin Allen shows. 

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

The Time Tunnel

Land of the Giants

City Beneath the Sea a blu-ray from Warner Archive

#18 of 302 ONLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,327 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 21 2015 - 05:30 PM

I thought season one of LIS looked great on dvd . 

Really?

OK, something's bugging me. I bought LOST IN SPACE - all three seasons - on DVD and am of the opinion that for the most part, they look like garbage. All right, that's a bit of hyperbole, but really, seasons 2 and 3 in particular, looked far worse than any other major studio release on DVD. The color were bleeding all over the place, the image is fuzzy, with horizontal lines jiggling through the picture all the time. And it seemed that season 3 is even worse than season 2.

I'm sure that elsewhere on the HTF, the discussion on these horrible transfers has been played out many times. I know I've participated in them. In those discussions, it's generally agreed that season 1 DVDs looked better. And I've often thought that - until digging out the occasion S1 episode and being appalled that it too has those horizontal lines and the image is not all that sharp. I really think they're all just as bad - but the color makes them look worse.

OK, so I see the statement above, and maybe it's worth disagreeing with - maybe not. The Blu-rays are coming - that's what this thread is about - and all will be fixed - we hope. But I keep coming back to this idea that really ANYTHING about the video for LOST IN SPACE on DVD is quite substandard, and nothing like the crisp episodes of LAND OF THE GIANTS, TIME TUNNEL, and VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA. So I have to wonder about statements that say that season 1 looked great or that the rest of the series looks great.

Yes, there are reviews all over Amazon.com ( http://www.amazon.co...complete series). Go on, take a look. There are 50 Five Star reviews and very few reviews giving fewer than five stars. So are all of the reviewers on Amazon blind? Crazy? Shills for FOX? 

Or is there some sort of stealth remaster that happened while we weren't looking? My LOST IN SPACE DVDs sit on the shelf and are never voluntarily watched. I'll pull one out if a subject arises that needs my participation, but I do not watch them for entertainment. They look horrible on my 60" television. Even the Blu-ray player up-scaling doesn't help.

Just trying to figure out what's going on.

As for the Blu-rays - they'll have to be nicely priced before I bite. LOST IN SPACE once had my teenaged self thrilled with its adventures. As an adult - not so much. I find the show to be silly these days. But that's just me. I certainly hope that all of you who really love the show get a great remaster and that it's everything it should be. I know how I feel about TIME TUNNEL - and how a lot of folks dismiss THAT show as silly.

Harry

...LOST IN THOUGHT, online...

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#19 of 302 OFFLINE   MBrousseau

MBrousseau

Stunt Coordinator

• 229 posts
  • LocationQuebec City, Canada

Posted January 21 2015 - 07:09 PM

I came across to some intriguing picture of the Lost in Space season 2 opening title, marked with the Space Production copyright and I couldn't  stop myself to try something, with the help of Photoshop.  I simply covered a regular 4:3 ratio presentation of the Lost in Space logo from the opening of the DVD over the widescreen print of the opening of the show. That exercice revealed so much more information on both side of the screen but also a little on top and bottom. The final word is that the widescreen presentation shows more on every side!  So how can serious Lost in Space fan refuse a widescreen presentation of their beloved TV show?  Here are the pictures.

LostInSpaceS02WideScreen.jpg

LostInSpaceS02DVDsquare.jpg

LostInSpaceS02WideScreen_VS_4-3.jpg

Girl power rules: Samantha, Jeannie, Jaime 
Come visit my You Tube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/ez2me2009

#20 of 302 OFFLINE   Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted January 21 2015 - 11:55 PM

Good news! I'm glad I didn't buy the DVD sets. This and Village are the Allen shows I don't have, tried watching Village on Hulu but didn't get past the Pilot. Hopefully all 4 shows hit blu but I'm happy with the DVDs for Voyage and Tunnel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users