Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Midway (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder

Universal

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,018 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:47 AM

image_jpg_beta.jpeg

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:36 AM

Fair to middlin' movie, but should benefit immensely by a quality Bluray transfer.  Fingers crossed.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#3 of 32 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,453 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:42 AM

DVD special features are transferred but unfortunately this does not include all of the footage shot for the TV version. The supplements give us only the footage related to the added romance subplot of Heston and Susan Sullivan, while the Battle Of Coral Sea sequence was not included.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,053 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 22 2013 - 10:31 AM

I much prefer In Harm's Way to Midway.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,042 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 02:28 PM

i guess this will be the theatrical edition. however i remember seeing the film on vhs with the coral sea battle footage.

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 03:17 PM

Maybe there's hope for a good Universal WWII pic, MacArthur. It's a whole lot better than Midway.

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   cb1

cb1

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationD/FW, TX

Posted March 23 2013 - 05:28 AM

I hope it has better sound than mono, I remember this having that sensaround sound when my dad took me to the theater to see it,

Thanks!
Chris

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   mikeyhitchfan

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor

• 513 posts
  • LocationCosta Mesa CA

Posted March 23 2013 - 08:08 AM

I hope it has better sound than mono, I remember this having that sensaround sound when my dad took me to the theater to see it,

Yes..SenseSurround! Earthquake, Midway and Rollecoaster all has this vibrating rumble in theaters.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,604 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 23 2013 - 09:25 AM

Yes..SenseSurround! Earthquake, Midway and Rollecoaster all has this vibrating rumble in theaters.

To complete the list:

Krakatoa East of Java (retitled Volcano) 1975 in Feelarama, a variation of Sensurround

Battlestar Galactica 1978 also had Sensurround

Zoot Suit (1981) in Sensurround Plus.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'm looking forward to "The Shadow" being released the same time as "Midway".

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter

• 1,596 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 06:05 AM

Where is the love for Midway?  Thanks for the heads up about The Shadow.  Been looking forward to that on disc in OAR for about 15 years.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,453 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 10:15 AM

I think "Midway" is a great film when it sticks to the real history.   I have always given this movie credit for inspiring me to read more about the battle, especially books like Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory".   It was really the last of the old-Hollywood style war movies that could serve as a launching point for the viewer to learn more about the real stories.

Unfortunately, the film gets bogged down by the bad fictional subplot involving Heston's son and his Japanese girlfriend which was little more than an attempt to appease 1970s PC sensitivites about not presenting America as pure and noble even in the just struggle of WW2.   And it was also unfortunate that we couldn't have the Japanese characters speaking their own language with subtitles as had been done in "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Those aside, I think it still holds up better than any other film about a WW2 battle since (don't get me started on "Pearl Harbor"!)

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,707 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 10:48 AM

I think "Midway" is a great film when it sticks to the real history.   I have always given this movie credit for inspiring me to read more about the battle, especially books like Walter Lord's "Incredible Victory".   It was really the last of the old-Hollywood style war movies that could serve as a launching point for the viewer to learn more about the real stories.

Unfortunately, the film gets bogged down by the bad fictional subplot involving Heston's son and his Japanese girlfriend which was little more than an attempt to appease 1970s PC sensitivites about not presenting America as pure and noble even in the just struggle of WW2.   And it was also unfortunate that we couldn't have the Japanese characters speaking their own language with subtitles as had been done in "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Those aside, I think it still holds up better than any other film about a WW2 battle since (don't get me started on "Pearl Harbor"!)

I would agree with the sentiments about the subplot of Heston's son and the girl.  It definitely detracts from the movie.  Not sure I will get this movie, primarily because of the boring and unnecessary subplot.  The action/battle scenes are great and will undoubtably look great on Bluray, but not sure if they can overcome the subplot, at least for me.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 25 2013 - 02:33 PM

I love Midway. My only issue with it are the times they sub a modern day angled deck carrier for a WW2 era single deck. But hey, it is what it is. At least the planes make real era moves!

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,247 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 05:02 PM

AFAIK the only Sensurround film (other than Zoot Suit which was Dolby) mixed in stereo is Earthquake.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   cb1

cb1

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationD/FW, TX

Posted May 27 2013 - 07:33 PM

I can't wait for June 4! I hope it looks and sounds great!

Thanks!
Chris

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,765 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 03 2013 - 04:52 PM

I viewed the BD of Midway in its entirety and thought it looked very good which was a surprise to me.  There are two different English audio tracks on it, but I viewed it with the DTS-HD Master Audio with DTS Digital Surround.  To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to the audio as I was concentrating on the video portion of the presentation while multi-tasking with some work-related tasks.  It will interesting to read comments from others about this BD. 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,545 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 03 2013 - 05:53 PM

Originally, Sensurround was just plain old mono with AWESOME bass!  :)

Edited by Mark-P, June 03 2013 - 05:54 PM.

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   cb1

cb1

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts
  • LocationD/FW, TX

Posted June 04 2013 - 04:45 AM

Originally, Sensurround was just plain old mono with AWESOME bass!  :)

great stuff! being so young at the time all I remember was "COOL"!  LOL

Thanks!
Chris

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,906 posts

Posted June 04 2013 - 09:30 AM

I viewed the BD of Midway in its entirety and thought it looked very good which was a surprise to me.

I am very happy to hear that you were pleased, Robert.  I took a chance on it and have it coming in later this week.  I saw this film theatrically and I've always enjoyed it.  I don't think it is a great film but there is something about it that has always worked for me.  Perhaps because it feels like a 'throwback' to old school Hollywood film making which was disappearing when this was made?   I'm way behind on my viewing but this is another feature that I might spin up this weekend.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users