Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: How The West Was Won: The Complete First Season

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,346 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:18 AM

The Classic TV Series About One Family’s Struggles On The American Frontier Comes To DVD For the Very First Time!

HOW THE WEST WAS WON:

THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON

Includes “The Macahans” as Bonus Content—

The Original TV Movie That Started it All!

BURBANK, CA (March 18, 2013) – Experience the triumphs and tribulations of the Old West when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group brings How The West Was Won: The Complete First Season to DVD July 9.  Originally broadcast in 1977 and based on the 1962 film of the same name, the first season of this beloved series features an all-star cast including James Arness (Gunsmoke), Eva Marie Saint (On the Waterfront, North by Northwest) and Bruce Boxleitner (Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Tron). This two-disc set contains the entire first season, told in three 90 minute segments.  As an added bonus, the release includes the "The Macahans," the 1976 TV movie about the Macahan family’s initial journey out West to escape the Civil War.  How The West Was Won: The Complete First Season is priced to own on DVD at a $19.98 SRP.

How the West Was Won: The Complete First Season is a family saga focusing on the lives of the Macahan family in the Old West. The leader of the family, Zeb Macahan (James Arness) is accustomed to the harsh realities of life on the frontier. His sister-in-law, Kate (Eva Marie Saint), alone since the death of her husband, is struggling to maintain a home for her daughters and sons. Luke (Bruce Boxleitner), Kate's eldest son, is pursued by the law for desertion from the Union Army. Their stories are played out against a realistic recreation of the American West in that lusty, hard-hitting period when laws were frequently broken and progress was charted by individual suffering and survival.

RUN TIMES
Part 1 (95 min.)

Part 2 (96 min.)

Part 3 (88 min.)

DVD SPECIAL FEATURES

TV Movie - The Macahans

BASICS

$19.98 SRP / No MAP

2 DVD - 9s

Street Date: July 9, 2013

Order Due Date: June 4, 2013

Language:  English

Aspect Ratio: 4 X 3

Run Time: Feature-Approximately 279 min/Enhanced Content-Approximately 118 min.

DVD Catalog # 1000382573

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 11:26 AM

I remember watching these with my dad on their original broadcasts and enjoying them. I'll be anxious to see reviews. The price seems right.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 921 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 12:04 PM

This is an excellent TV series. The complete series has long been available in Denmark on R2 DVD with English audio so it is nice to finally see it released in North America.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted March 23 2013 - 05:17 AM

I remember watching these with my dad on their original broadcasts and enjoying them. I'll be anxious to see reviews. The price seems right.

Same here.  I watched this with Dad and my cousin.  The location scenery is outstanding in this series.

This is an excellent TV series. The complete series has long been available in Denmark on R2 DVD with English audio so it is nice to finally see it released in North America.

Posted Image  I had considered getting that Scandanavian release but decided to wait for R1 news. 

My ranking for this one is at the top of my TV shows. 

James Arness was pefect as the "mountain man" in this miniseries. 

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 11:47 AM

I had considered getting that Scandanavian release but decided to wait for R1 news.

Probably a wise choice, the Soul Media R2 DVD release in Scandinavia wasn't that good looking, even the "remastered" sets that followed later on primarily just switched the old single layer discs to dual layer ones with little to no real improvement. Third times the charm...

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted July 11 2013 - 12:46 PM

Received my set today.  It's 4:3 OAR.  It was listed as 1.78:1 at some 'net sites.

Picture Q is good but hoped for a little better than what I see after doing a couple of quick checks on both discs.  It's good, probably the same as what Encore Westerns aired last year but not in the class of the CBS remastered releases like The Fugitive, Perry Mason, etc.

The pilot tv movie is on disc 2.  I'll start there to watch in original airing sequence.

It was a long wait for the R1 release.  Glad it's here.  Posted Image

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,626 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the first-hand info, Jeff.  I've hit my quota of "Likes This" for the day, but I do give you a :thumbsup:.

Gary "I wish the video quality had been top notch, but at least we have this series released now" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 01:31 PM

I'll be picking mine up at my local B&N this weekend.With respect to "The Complete First Season": how many additional seasons did the show have?

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted July 11 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'll be picking mine up at my local B&N this weekend.

With respect to "The Complete First Season": how many additional seasons did the show have?

It had 2 seasons, airing from 1978-79, 24 episodes.

Thanks for the first-hand info, Jeff.  I've hit my quota of "Likes This" for the day, but I do give you a :thumbsup:.

Gary "I wish the video quality had been top notch, but at least we have this series released now" O.

Posted Image

Edited by Jeff Willis, July 11 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 12:08 PM

O.K. so two seasons, total. Thanks for the answer.I have another question: how do the three 90-minute segments correlate to the actual first season episodes? For example, is each 90-minute segment comprised of three 30-minutes episodes? If so would that mean there were 9 episodes in the first season?

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 01:32 PM

I have another question: how do the three 90-minute segments correlate to the actual first season episodes? For example, is each 90-minute segment comprised of three 30-minutes episodes? If so would that mean there were 9 episodes in the first season?

I poked around a bit to try and figure out the broadcast history because there is 

conflicting information, and misleading descriptions on the web.

Here's what I found, it wasn't a regular tv show, but more of a continuing mini-series,

and in the final season, a mid-season series of TV movies.  

The series began as a 2.5 hour TV movie "The Macahans" that aired Jan 19 1976,

this is what is being called "the pilot".

A new miniseries "How the West was Won" ran for 2 hours each night over 3 nights

on ABC in Feb of 1977,  these are the shows being released as "Season 1" on the DVD.

In February of 1978, another 20 hours of mini-series started on Sunday nights,

The first two weeks were each 3 hour movies, then it aired from 8pm to 9pm

on Sundays through march, april, and into may. The final week ran a 3 hour movie

finished out the series, May 21 of 1978.

The final season, aired Monday night beginning January of 1979, in the

mid-season slot,  (After Monday Night football season ended).  It ran as

11 stand alone TV movies, (2 hours each) on Monday nights, and this series

concluded in April. 

Edited by derosa, July 12 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 876 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 01:41 PM

Wow, even with your helpful research, I'm still a little confused - probably my fault.*If* I understand correctly, there were three "seasons", so to speak:Season 1 - A pilot, followed by a three-part mini-series.Season 2 - Two three-hour movies; followed by three months ofone-hour episodes; followed by another three-hour movie.Season 3 - Eleven two-hour movies.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted July 12 2013 - 01:53 PM

^ Derosa, thanks, was about to post but you have the info laid out well.

Here's the S1 dvd release menu:

Disc 1:

Episode 1  Original airdate 02/06/1977 1:35

Episode 2  Original airdate 02/13/1977 1:35

Disc 2:

Episode 3  Original airdate 02/20/1977 1:28

Pilot TV-movie  Original airdate 01/19/1976   1:58

Wow, even with your helpful research, I'm still a little confused - probably my fault.*If* I understand correctly, there were three "seasons", so to speak:Season 1 - A pilot, followed by a three-part mini-series.Season 2 - Two three-hour movies; followed by three months ofone-hour episodes; followed by another three-hour movie.Season 3 - Eleven two-hour movies.

That's about right.  There's a fan site that has good info about the series here

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 01:56 PM

That's right.   Technically, the orignal 1976 TV movie, and the 1977 mini-series

ran a year apart, so it really aired in 4 different years.  But you got it.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 02:03 PM

That's about right.  There's a fan site that has good info about the series here

Good site, just missing the original air dates, which i found in an Amazon review.

There are a few ABC promos for the show on YouTube, I'm a bit of a collector for 70s

network promos, especially ones featuring Ernie Anderson, this one is from the finale

of the 1978 season, the May 21st 3 hour movie:

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,698 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 02:04 PM

So it looks like season 2 and 3 DVD releases will be much bigger with about 4-5 discs needed per season if my calculations are correct. Makes sense they would test the waters with this smaller 2 disc season 1 release 1st.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 816 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 02:11 PM

Yes, it looks like the Region 2 complete set is 14 discs.

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted July 24 2013 - 02:01 PM

It looks like Amazon pulled the set although it's available from a seller.

The usual Amazon message is posted at the product page:

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

After looking at a couple of recent Amazon reviews, I'm guessing they pulled the set because of its description.  It's listed as the "complete 1st season" but that's arguably not accurate, depending on how one defines this miniseries since it began with the Pilot, then a 3-part miniseries, then continued into the next tv season.

I've spot-checked my set and I don't see any other issues, picture Q, etc.

Amazon page is here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users