What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Badlands -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Terrence Malick’s Badlands, coming our way from Criterion, is a top quality Blu-ray.

With an image harvested from the original camera negative, this is a release that is never less than perfect.  Color, densities, shadow detail, and grain structure perfectly mimic film.

As his first directorial effort, the 1973 production is a cause for Blu-ray celebration.  The fact is that there aren’t enough Malick films to go around.  With only (by my count) five features, his work is as exceptional as it is rare.  To the Wonder is scheduled for release in April.

That will be six films in almost forty years!

More, please.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
My copy arrived last night but I've not had a chance to spin it. Great to hear it's another winner!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Simply put, a perfect transfer in every way. I have never seen any transfer of a 70s film look better than this in terms of its accuracy. Want to see what fine grain looks like (not "thick" like the Beaver seems to think is normal), here's your poster child. Want to see what accurate color looks like for a film of this era? Here's your poster child.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Let's not forget one of the most important features of this release that Criterion has licensed from Warner Bros. that it managed to get issued to BLU with the original WB Saul bass logo intact!

It was nice having interviews with Sheen, Spacek, and Fisk on the disc. Oh and that Trailer lol If you've never seen the film best to wait and watch it after the film.

oh and yeah the BLU ray image looks good also. :D

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Agree, not enough Malick films.

Ironically, I'm kind of lucky here...I came to Malick late and haven't yet seen Badlands. Been looking forward to savoring this one for a long time -- for all the reasons.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
While the film looks great ,The extras aren't as great ,There's little about Malick and none of his interviews included in a still file ,no commentary
('Days" had one) They should have licensed the only Malick documentary ,which had stuff on Badlands missing Here like
the other composer ,and one of the cameramen
While I understand the Director will always be missing,these extras while good ,are hardly great or what a film like this deserves

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Glad to finally have this film on Bluray. Sorry to say, but I go against the grain here, and say that Badlands, is the only Malick film I have fully enjoyed. All his films are beautifully composed and photographed, but I have found his other films lacking in holding my interest. I know I'll likely get flamed for this opinion, but just can't help it. Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line were beautifully shot, but they just kinda meandered around in the plot, IMO. Haven't seen his others.

Duane Alford

Second Unit
Powell&Pressburger said:
It was nice having interviews with Sheen, Spacek, and Fisk on the disc.

Would that be the extra titled "Absense of Mailck"? I bought one of the DVD re-releases and it was suppposed to be on it and wasn't. I finally got to see the interviews finding it on You Tube. Interesting that Martin Sheen tells who the inspiration behind the movie was (of course I read that Warner Bros. threatened movie theaters with lawsuits when the movie was released if they tied the movie with the real life murder spree). Of course, Sheen makes no mention that he paid for the guy's grave marker!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Richard V said:
All his films are beautifully composed and photographed, but I have found his other films lacking in holding my interest. I know I'll likely get flamed for this opinion, but just can't help it. Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line were beautifully shot, but they just kinda meandered around in the plot, IMO.
You'll get no criticism or hostility from me. I saw Days Of Heaven when it first came out and I was bored most of the time. Yes, it looked good but it wasn't interesting. Because of that, I've never watched any of his other films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks