Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Badlands -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,321 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 07:46 AM

Terrence Malick’s Badlands, coming our way from Criterion, is a top quality Blu-ray.

With an image harvested from the original camera negative, this is a release that is never less than perfect.  Color, densities, shadow detail, and grain structure perfectly mimic film.

As his first directorial effort, the 1973 production is a cause for Blu-ray celebration.  The fact is that there aren’t enough Malick films to go around.  With only (by my count) five features, his work is as exceptional as it is rare.  To the Wonder is scheduled for release in April.

That will be six films in almost forty years!

More, please.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 7 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:01 AM

My copy arrived last night but I've not had a chance to spin it. Great to hear it's another winner!

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#3 of 7 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,043 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:04 AM

Simply put, a perfect transfer in every way.  I have never seen any transfer of a 70s film look better than this in terms of its accuracy.  Want to see what fine grain looks like (not "thick" like the Beaver seems to think is normal), here's your poster child.  Want to see what accurate color looks like for a film of this era?  Here's your poster child.  

#4 of 7 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,093 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:23 AM

Let's not forget one of the most important features of this release that Criterion has licensed from Warner Bros. that it managed to get issued to BLU with the original WB Saul bass logo intact!

It was nice having interviews with Sheen, Spacek, and Fisk on the disc. Oh and that Trailer lol If you've never seen the film best to wait and watch it after the film.

oh and yeah the BLU ray image looks good also. :D

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 7 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 23 2013 - 05:22 AM

Agree, not enough Malick films.

Ironically, I'm kind of lucky here...I came to Malick late and haven't yet seen Badlands.  Been looking forward to savoring this one for a long time -- for all the reasons.

#6 of 7 Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 05:45 AM

While the film looks great ,The extras aren't as great ,There's little about Malick and none of his interviews included in a  still file ,no commentary

('Days" had one)  They should have licensed the only Malick  documentary ,which had stuff on Badlands missing Here  like

the other composer ,and one of the cameramen

While I understand the Director will always be missing,these extras while good ,are hardly great or what a film like this deserves

#7 of 7 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,478 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 07:07 AM

Glad to finally have this film on Bluray.  Sorry to say, but I go against the grain here, and say that Badlands, is the only Malick film I have fully enjoyed.  All his films are beautifully composed and photographed, but I have found his other films lacking in holding my interest.  I know I'll likely get flamed for this opinion, but just can't help it.  Days of Heaven and Thin Red Line were beautifully shot, but they just kinda meandered around in the plot, IMO.  Haven't seen his others. 

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users