What's new

Subwoofer - Upgrade - General Q (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hello,
I am curious about Subwoofers. What I mean is how do you pick out a good sub?

My room is small - 19x10. Ceilings are very high in this room, They arc to about 14'.

I'm currently using a Polk PSW10. I was watching The Fellowship of the Ring yesterday and the sub just couldn't keep up. It was rattling, but not the good kind.

I think I want to upgrade to something that can produce a rich sound w/o the rattle. I'm don't need something to shake the entire house either.

Any recommendations for upgrades would be great. My budget is around $300.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
David,
I was avoiding this brand because of the warranty. The last time I looked they shipped you parts... I work in the computer field, but don't know anything about changing parts for a sub!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm subwoofer god? Ha...

It would help to know where the OP is. For $300, I'd peruse my local Craigslist and Ebay first. A new $300 sub today...is going to be a new $300 subwoofer next week.

But...the usual suspects...

BIC F12*/VK12/H100(BIC has three subwoofers that "are the same" in the H100/PL200/RTR Eviction. But the model number depends on what speaker package it went with...and goes with now...and if they have "extra" laying around)
Lava LSP12(or the 10)

The problem with

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I see. I actually spoke to Polk today and they're sending me a new woofer for testing... so if Polk is going to do the same as BIC... then I might as well get the BIC.

I guess I was mistaken about the warranty difference.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Read the fine print on subwoofer(really any speaker for that matter) before you purchase...

Some manufacturers will send you a replacement part with a pre-paid return. Other manufacturers require you to mail them the bad part(on your dime) and then they'll swap once they have the dead one. Still others will require you to drive(or ship it) it to a repair facility whole.

Pick and choose your subwoofer/speakers according to those guidelines as well.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I had no idea! I'm going to try the new Polk woofer they're sending. I made sure it is a NEW part.

Once I receive it I'll do some testing. Is there a guide you'd recommend for sub setup?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
For us to offer you guidance in setting up your sub...

What is your configuration?
What AVR/receiver?
What crossover point(s)?
What are your sources?

And Dave was being "in general" as Audyssey is only used by Onkyo/Integra, Denon/Marantz and NAD. "Everybody" has some form of room correction(which is what Dave was really asking).

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Setup:Sony STRDH520.5.1Crossover = I have it to 80 I believe. Source = Bdp-s590, PS3, STB

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I assume Sony's room correction(on that model at least) only allows one crossover.

80 is the "general norm" on AVR with only one crossover to choose(being your other 5 are only given a choice of large/small).

Since the 520 more than likely offers little to none in EQ for the subwoofer(which there are no

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
I see. The receiver allows a crossover for each set.
Front = 70
Center = 70
Surrounds = 100

Fronts = Monitor 30
Center = CS1
Surrounds = OWM3

I'll try to find a better place in the room and see if this works.

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hi again,

I've tried moving the sub around the room and listening to where I think it sounds best. After that I adjusted the sub's volume and +/- level in the receiver. I used the analog Radio Shack SPL meter.
I set the receiver volume to the level in which we watch moves (vol 30).
I set the SPL to 60hz, slow response and C weighted for the sub and measured to around 0 level.

The other 5 speakers I set the SPL to 70 slow response and C weighted.

I have a lot of them ending up a +4 or +5, but not sure if this is normal or not.

Anyway, the sub is still rattling even in other places.

Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cool. Glad you got it sorted. The subwoofer(hence why 2 is de rigueur) placement is the hardest of your 5(or 7, or 9) to pinpoint. Typically I spend twice as much time on the subwoofer as the other 5/7/9 combined.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I would not be too worried about replacing parts on the sub woofer. You really only have a few pieces, all very easy to replace with probably nothing more then a screwdriver.The amp plate, or the driver(s) typically just get screwed in place. If it's the housing or port that is rattling, then you can just move the driver(s) and amp to the new housing, or locate where the noise is coming from and secure it, glue it down

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Yeah, I will give it a shot if the replacement woofer is still doing that. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks