Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Things To Come (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,178 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 08:43 AM

thingstocomefront.jpg thingstocomeback.jpg

THINGS TO COME – Blu-Ray & DVD Editions
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]A landmark collaboration between writer H. G. Wells ([/color]Island of Lost Souls[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]), producer Alexander Korda ([/color]The Thief of Bagdad[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]), and designer and director William Cameron Menzies ([/color]Gone with the Wind[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]), [/color]Things to Come[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] is a science fiction film like no other, a prescient political work that predicts a century of turmoil and progress. Skipping through time, [/color]Things to Come[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] bears witness to world war, dictatorship, disease, the rise of television, and finally, utopia. Conceived, written, and overseen by Wells himself as an adaptation of his own work, this mega-budgeted production, the most ambitious ever from Korda’s London Films, is a triumph of imagination and technical audacity.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]1936 • 97 minutes • Black & White • Monaural • 1.37:1 aspect ratio[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition[/color]
page 2 of 6
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• Audio commentary featuring film historian and writer David Kalat [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• Interview with writer and cultural historian Christopher Frayling on the film’s design[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• Film historian Bruce Eder on Arthur Bliss’s musical score[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• Audio recording from 1936 of a reading from H. G. Wells’s writing about the “wandering sickness,” the plague in [/color]Things to Come
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• More![/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]TITLE: Things to Come (BLU-RAY EDITION)[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]CAT. NO: CC2271BD[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]UPC: 7-15515-10691-7[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]ISBN: 978-1-60465-734-0[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]SRP: $39.95[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]PREBOOK: 5/21/13[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]STREET: 6/18/13[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] [/color]

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,726 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 07:30 AM

Wow, this is excellent news!  Have been forced to watch multiple crummy prints of this movie, can't wait to see a quality (hopefully) Bluray transfer. 

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 22 2013 - 07:37 AM

Wow, this is excellent news!  Have been forced to watch multiple crummy prints of this movie, can't wait to see a quality (hopefully) Bluray transfer. 

I'm sure it's the same transfer as the UK Blu-ray, which is pretty amazing.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,311 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:20 AM

Looking forward to this one as well. Criterion is really hitting it out of the park once again in June.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,256 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:29 AM

Its got an ITV credit so it should be the British master (with some Criterion tweaking of course).

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,361 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 22 2013 - 01:02 PM

I only have it on an old VHS copy that is barely watchable. I'm really looking forward to seeing the REAL THING.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,516 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 23 2013 - 05:05 AM

Beautiful.  Can't wait.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,488 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 05:33 AM

Like the British Network Blu-ray (which I own), the upcoming Criterion lists a running time of 97 minutes, short of the 108-minute premiere cut, but 4-5 minutes longer than the prints we have been accustomed to (my Super 8mm print ran 92m). There is a lengthy article in the 32-page Network booklet that explains the various cuts and what was deleted. What we have now is likely the most complete version we will see. It's a weirdly-paced film, its second half oddly less engaging than its first, but the restoration is quite beautiful compared to any previously available video edition. And, oh, that astonishing score by Arthur Bliss!

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,256 posts

Posted March 24 2013 - 08:15 PM

The 108 minute version is long gone correct?

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 24 2013 - 10:44 PM

Long gone.  I doubt Criterion will need to "tweak" what is essentially a beautiful master from ITV.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,483 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 25 2013 - 03:08 AM

Nick Cooper worked on the UK release for Network; his Things To Come site is worth a look.

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 03:39 PM

I really need to watch my Legend Films edition to see if I want this. I bought the Legend version with She and still havent watched either one (severe catching up to do)

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,520 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 25 2013 - 04:13 PM

I really need to watch my Legend Films edition to see if I want this. I bought the Legend version with She and still havent watched either one (severe catching up to do)

The Legend edition is a joke - you won't be able to tell anything from it other than you'll want to flush that transfer down the toilet.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,516 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 25 2013 - 08:42 PM

I forgot when I first saw this announced above that I have the UK disc on its way to me.  Maybe I'll end up with both, as there are a number of different additional features on each one.  At any rate, I really can't wait to see this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users