Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Shoah (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,076 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 07:54 AM

shoafront.jpg shoaback.jpg

SHOAH  – Blu-Ray & DVD Editions
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]Over a decade in the making, Claude Lanzmann’s nine-hour-plus opus is a monumental investigation of the unthinkable: the murder of more than six million Jews by the Nazis. Using no archival footage, Lanzmann instead focuses on first-person testimonies (of survivors and former Nazis, as well as other witnesses), employing a circular, free-associative method in assembling them. The intellectual yet emotionally overwhelming [/color]Shoah[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] is not a film about excavating the past but an intensive portrait of the ways in which the past is always present, and it is inarguably one of the most important cinematic works of all time.[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]1985 • 550 minutes • Color • Monaural • 1.33:1 aspect ratio[/color]

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• Three additional films by director Claude Lanzmann: [/color]A Visitor from the Living[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;](1999, 68 minutes), [/color]Sobibor, October 14, 1943, 4 p.m.[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] (2001, 102 minutes), and [/color]The Karski Report[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] (2010, 54 minutes)[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• New conversation between critic Serge Toubiana and Lanzmann[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• Interview with Lanzmann about [/color]A Visitor from the Living[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] and [/color]Sobibor
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• New conversation between associate director of photography Caroline Champetier and filmmaker Arnaud Desplechin[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• Trailer[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and writings by Lanzmann[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] [/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]TITLE: Shoah (4-DISC BLU-RAY EDITION)[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]CAT. NO: CC2256BD[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]UPC: 7-15515-0541-5[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]ISBN: 978-1-60465-720-3[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]SRP: $99.95[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]PREBOOK: 5/28/13[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;]STREET: 6/25/13[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma;font-size:16px;] [/color]

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Will*B

Will*B

Second Unit

• 472 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 22 2013 - 04:47 AM

I've never seen Shoah, but it certainly sounds like a fascinating and necessary film. A huge amount of content in this set, and I'm very much heading towards a blind-buy.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,122 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:21 AM

I've only seen bits of it, I think it was a multi-tape set in the VHS days and I never got the whole thing at once. So it's pretty much a blind buy for me to.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,547 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:22 AM

Definitely something to get during the B&N Criterion Sale.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad.

• 561 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Maryland

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:28 AM

Agreed. I've been holding off on getting a few things like BADLANDS in anticipation of the next sale. I'm doing a much better job than I usually do, as I typically can't help myself, ha.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,122 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 22 2013 - 09:38 AM

I've been thankful for the B&N and Criterion flash sales too ha ha. The March releases I lucked out on as they appeared for a couple days at decent pricing compared to the usual massively inflated nonsense that happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users