Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Criterion Press Release: Safety Last! (Blu-ray)

Criterion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 07:51 AM

safetylastfront.jpg safetylastback.jpg

SAFETY LAST! – Blu-Ray & DVD Editions
The comic genius of silent star Harold Lloyd is eternal. Chaplin was the sweet innocent, Keaton the stoic outsider, but Lloyd—the modern guy striving for success—is us. And with its torrent of perfectly executed gags and astonishing stunts, Safety Last! is the perfect introduction to him. Lloyd plays a small-town bumpkin trying to make it in the big city, who finds employment as a lowly department-store clerk. He comes up with a wild publicity stunt to draw attention to the store, resulting in an incredible feat of derring-do on his part that gets him started on the climb to success. Laugh-out-loud funny and jaw-dropping in equal measure, Safety Last! is a movie experience par excellence, anchored by a genuine legend.

Safety Last! is the first Harold Lloyd film to be released by the Criterion Collection since the Lloyd catalog was acquired by Janus Films in 2012. Janus Films will tour Safety Last! theatrically starting in April to celebrate the ninetieth anniversary of its Release, and to kick off an ongoing celebration of this most contemporary of classic silent comedians.

1923 • 84 minutes • Black & White • Silent • 1.37:1 aspect ratio

SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES 
• New 2K digital film restoration
• Musical score by composer Carl Davis from 1989, synchronized and restored under his supervision and presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray edition
• Alternate score by organist Gaylord Carter from the late 1960s, presented in uncompressed monaural on the Blu-ray edition
• Audio commentary featuring film critic Leonard Maltin and director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll
• Introduction by Suzanne Lloyd, Lloyd’s granddaughter and president of Harold Lloyd Entertainment
• Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius, a 104-minute documentary from 1989
• Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: Take a Chance (1918), Young Mr. Jazz(1919), and His Royal Slyness (1920), with commentary by Correll and film writer John Bengtson
• Locations and Effects, a new documentary featuring Bengtson and special effects expert Craig Barron
• New interview with Davis
• PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Ed Park

TITLE: Safety Last! (BLU-RAY EDITION)
CAT. NO: CC2267BD
UPC: 7-15515-10651-1
ISBN: 978-1-60465-730-2
SRP: $39.95
PREBOOK: 5/21/13
STREET: 6/18/13

• lukejosephchung likes this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted March 22 2013 - 12:53 AM

That is exciting. Looking forward to picking it up.

Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,988 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:28 AM

I was going to skip this one since I think the Warner sets I got are "good enough", but this seems pretty irresistible. that documentary is new right? I don't recall it on the other sets. Mine are packed up so I can't check.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 22 2013 - 08:36 AM

I am not really a fan of silent films and I don't care for Chaplin. But this is my favourite silent film and it's a great package. I assume it is Region A so I will either have to wait for a UK release or buy a multi-region player. This and some of the other great Criterion Blu-ray releases are pushing me closer to the tipping point.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users