Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What subwoofer type to use?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   0pr8r

0pr8r

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 01:53 AM

Im currently putting together my audio system from used parts nothing spectacular but mid range stuff. Now do to wife requirements nothing can be visible so I've purchased 5 SpeakerCraft Aim8 threes that will be powered by a Denon AVR 2113CI . Problem Subwoofer Since nothing can be visible I plan on hiding the subwoofer in a cabinet that will be part of my new fireplace (photos below). Question is should I build my own sub enclosure into the fireplace and add a sub amp or should I create a shelf and place a powered subwoofer into the space (ex. SuperCube 2000). If creating an enclosure is the better option can somebody point me in the right direction to a forum post or a list of recommended components to purchase in order to build an enclosure. Below are the pictures of the fireplace I'm building and the space where I plan on building either a shelf or speaker enclosure. Its 11 1/2 inches wide. I appreciate any help you guys can provide thanks.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   hvjackson

hvjackson

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:04 AM

I hope you're not planning on still using that fireplace now that you've built a wood enclosure around it, for a couple reasons: - Most importantly, the clearance between the fireplace opening and the woodwork is way too small, creating a fire hazard. If you want to follow building code (which you should) you should look this up for your area, but this would typically be something like a minimum clearance of 12" above, and then a maximum protrusion of 1" for each additional 1" of clearance. - Also there will be a lot of heat on the electronics (I assume you're planning on mounting a TV, and maybe putting other components like the subwoofer). Heat is not good for electronics; you definitely don't want to bake your brand new setup.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,188 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, if you ever plan on selling this house...or even having an insurance policy... Check building code. My primary installer, I sent him this picture. He is still laughing.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,326 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted March 14 2013 - 07:24 AM

wow...interesting idea, but a whole lot of head ache!! Can you get the sub on a floor ? It would sound much better than being suspended inside a cabinet.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 14 2013 - 12:51 PM

If it meets fire code, I will help but I am agreeing with the others. Plus, picking spot for the sub BEFORE even buying or building one is just a guess. Sub frequencies interact heavily with the room. In one area, the bass can be overwhelming and in others, non-existent. It's always best to check for the proper location of a sub or use multiple subs to make sure the frequency response is as flat as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users