Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

What subwoofer type to use?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 0pr8r

0pr8r

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 01:53 AM

Im currently putting together my audio system from used parts nothing spectacular but mid range stuff. Now do to wife requirements nothing can be visible so I've purchased 5 SpeakerCraft Aim8 threes that will be powered by a Denon AVR 2113CI . Problem Subwoofer Since nothing can be visible I plan on hiding the subwoofer in a cabinet that will be part of my new fireplace (photos below). Question is should I build my own sub enclosure into the fireplace and add a sub amp or should I create a shelf and place a powered subwoofer into the space (ex. SuperCube 2000). If creating an enclosure is the better option can somebody point me in the right direction to a forum post or a list of recommended components to purchase in order to build an enclosure. Below are the pictures of the fireplace I'm building and the space where I plan on building either a shelf or speaker enclosure. Its 11 1/2 inches wide. I appreciate any help you guys can provide thanks.

#2 of 5 hvjackson

hvjackson

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:04 AM

I hope you're not planning on still using that fireplace now that you've built a wood enclosure around it, for a couple reasons: - Most importantly, the clearance between the fireplace opening and the woodwork is way too small, creating a fire hazard. If you want to follow building code (which you should) you should look this up for your area, but this would typically be something like a minimum clearance of 12" above, and then a maximum protrusion of 1" for each additional 1" of clearance. - Also there will be a lot of heat on the electronics (I assume you're planning on mounting a TV, and maybe putting other components like the subwoofer). Heat is not good for electronics; you definitely don't want to bake your brand new setup.

#3 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,823 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 14 2013 - 05:39 AM

Yeah, if you ever plan on selling this house...or even having an insurance policy... Check building code. My primary installer, I sent him this picture. He is still laughing.

#4 of 5 Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.

• 6,316 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted March 14 2013 - 07:24 AM

wow...interesting idea, but a whole lot of head ache!! Can you get the sub on a floor ? It would sound much better than being suspended inside a cabinet.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#5 of 5 Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,051 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 14 2013 - 12:51 PM

If it meets fire code, I will help but I am agreeing with the others. Plus, picking spot for the sub BEFORE even buying or building one is just a guess. Sub frequencies interact heavily with the room. In one area, the bass can be overwhelming and in others, non-existent. It's always best to check for the proper location of a sub or use multiple subs to make sure the frequency response is as flat as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users