What's new

Side Surround Speaker Position for Two Rows of Seating (1 Viewer)

JayhawkLaw

Auditioning
Real Name
David Hall
I will be converting an attic space into a 7.2 (who knows, eventually maybe even 9.2 or 11.2) home theater. In order to fit enough family and friends, I need/want to have two rows of chairs. My question is what do I do about side surround speakers? Do I put one pair of multi-pole speakers even with the second row and let Audyssey sort out things out? Put said multi-pole speaker in between the seats (seems unlikely)? Is there a way to wire the side surrounds so two pair (one on the side of the first row and one on the side of the second row) play the same signal? Help! Thanks PS: I'm not an engineer, so please keep the explanations relatively physics-free.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Hi David,
Do not try to "double up" on the surround speakers. More speakers does not equal better, and if you connect things the wrong way, you'll risk damage to your receiver.
The way I would approach it is to decide for yourself which row will be the "ideal" seats. Then use the Dolby speaker placement guidelines (see here) and place the speakers so they are optimal for that row.
Let Audyssey work things out to make the best for the other row. Don't worry - it's not as if the "non-ideal" row is going to sound like crap - most folks probably won't notice that much of a difference. It'll work out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks