What's new

LED TV OR PROJECTOR (1 Viewer)

YO2468

Auditioning
Real Name
BRYAN CURREY
I have a dark home theater room (no windows) and was trying to find pros and cons of going with the Sharp 80" LED or putting in a screen and projector.

73shark

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc Taylor
Welcome to the forum. Size matters. I built a 110" screen for my PJ after realizing that the 90" just wasn't big enuf. Of course if you are really close to the screen, you can see the pixels but nobody sits that close to that big of a screen. Great for football, basketball, and movies.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi bryan your concerns for an LCD. It will be much brighter than a PJ. This will be good if you view in ambient light. It will give you a head ache if viewing in the dark (and have a 40-45 degree field of view. It will have poor off axis viewing. A PJ will get you much bigger but will not look very good with any ambient light in the room. Hope this helps fun stuff.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by YO2468
I have a dark home theater room (no windows) and was trying to find pros and cons of going with the Sharp 80" LED or putting in a screen and projector.
Bryan, the decision to go with a projector is not one that should be entered lightly. Properly choosing and installing a projector is a much more involved process than picking a TV.
Most importantly, what is your budget?
Also, keep in mind, that if you choose a projector over the TV, you will also need:
- projector mount (if you plan on ceiling mounting the projector) - typically runs about $75-125
- a separate A/V receiver and speakers (costs vary, but if you don't have anything and want at least 5.1 expect this to run at least $500-750 on up)
- a screen (you can project on a bare wall, but this is not recommended - DIY can be done for under $50, but purchasing a screen will likely cost at minimum several hundred dollars)
- a way to run HDMI from your AVR to the projector - the cable cost isn't a big deal - you can get a 25' HDMI cable from monoprice for ~$30, but getting it to the projector can be a challenge for some people.
If you've already considered all of the above, then great, but we still need a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks