What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Frankenstein Theory -- DVD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Andrew Weiner's The Frankenstein Theory from Image appears to be making its debut concurrently on DVD along with some theatrical exposure, and even after viewing it, I'm not quite certain how to classify it. Shot on HD video, and with no Blu-ray release from Image, the film concerns a young professor (John Venkenheim), who believe himself to be the great-great whatever of the actual scientist who created the "monster" as described in a certain 1818 opus entitled Frankenstein: or, The Modern Prometheus. As I watched this film about a documentary video crew hired by the professor to follow him on his voyage toward re-discovering his ancestor's creation in the arctic (shot in Alaska, which looks quite cold and desolate enough, thank you), my mind kept returning to a young girl tossing flower petals into a pond, and wondering where things were going to interconnect. Although one can get a decent grasp on where things will be going, even at a third of the way into this 87 minute production, I kept wondering where it was taking me. Genre-bending is probably the best description that I can give this. A bit of back woods Maryland shaky-cam, combined with continuous interaction and filming of the "crew," one waits for the appearance of our old friend. Those firmly entrenched in the Frankenstein mythology will probably find this little oddity an interesting addition to the canon, especially at its brief running time. A good looking DVD, revealing a bleak and dark environment. Worth a rental. For those lovers of books, first editions of Ms Shelley's creation continue to rise in value. A nice clean three volume first will currently set you back in excess of 100k. RAH

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is another once of those found footage jobs isn't it? That's getting real old now and has been done to death. I presume the main reason for doing it now is to save money? 100K? Guess I'd better start rooting through all those paperbacks I've got in the attic. :D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
This is another once of those found footage jobs isn't it? That's getting real old now and has been done to death. I presume the main reason for doing it now is to save money?
100K? Guess I'd better start rooting through all those paperbacks I've got in the attic.
Not "found footage." A crew making a documentary. Just did a bit of research.
The "monster" is played by 7'4" Roger W. Morrissey. In comparison, Mr. Karloff was a "short" 5' 11".
RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Another mini-fact, the young girl at the lake in Frankenstein, was played by seven year-old Marilyn Harris (no relation, of which I'm aware). She appeared in The Big Trail, Bride of Frankenstein, and over a dozen other films up until 1944.

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken Volok
I'm interested in seeing this film as I've hijacked Dracula for my new film. I'm glad to hear this one avoids herky-jerky camerawork. Beyond the fact I generally hate it (hated Blair Witch because of it) , using budget as an excuse for that kind of camera"work" is complete bs. It costs nothing to frame a shot, hold a camera steady or even set it on a table, know your staging etc. Now it's popped up in mainstream films and it just looks like the Hollywood establishment is desperate to look cool when all they've done is further cheapen films that were most often garbage at the script stage.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Robert Harris said:
Not "found footage."  A crew making a documentary.  Just did a bit of research. The "monster" is played by 7'4" Roger W. Morrissey.  In comparison, Mr. Karloff was a "short" 5' 11". RAH
Ok, a documentary crew is making a professional movie. That means less shaky-cam? What Boris lacked in stature, he more than made up in "being" the monster. But then, you weren't criticizing Boris, but pointing out that Morrissey was abominably tall. ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
Ok, a documentary crew is making a professional movie. That means less shaky-cam?
What Boris lacked in stature, he more than made up in "being" the monster. But then, you weren't criticizing Boris, but pointing out that Morrissey was abominably tall.
Except if they're running. But, yes, generally far less shaky-cam.
RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
(So, if I take a pass on this release and put the savings toward the first edition.......)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
(So, if I take a pass on this release and put the savings toward the first edition.......)
You'll have an appreciating asset.
RAH

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Chas in CT said:
(So, if I take a pass on this release and put the savings toward the first edition.......)
Depends. Does it have pictures...? I mean... some don't... and movies have moving pictures! So...there you go right there! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks