What's new

Adding speakers to an existing receiver (1 Viewer)

dantana2000

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
I have an RCA HTIB. It's definitely not the best but I was looking to get something cheap. My question is this, if I replace my existing speakers with better speakers but keep the same RCA receiver will that make a noticeable difference in the quality of sound?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HTiB and receiver are NOT the same thing. If your HTiB uses proprietary connectors...no, you can't using anything but the speakers it came with.

dantana2000

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
I know HTIB and receiver are not the same thing. That's not what I'm asking. The HTIB that I bought came with a receiver and I might be wrong but I really do not think it would be a problem using different speakers. What my question is, if I do this and lets assume for the sake of argument that it can be done with the receiver that I have. If I was to keep that receiver and get better speakers would there be a noticeable difference in sound quality?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is the model number? RCA has been making audio since 1930. And my bad, 1919. Funai(which the corporate parent of which owns RCA and Directv amongst 50 some different brands) has made all the RCA branded since 1986.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
You would be much better off looking for a budget AVR (receiver) and a decent pair of speakers. Your unit may have some weird built in filtering designed specifically for the (marginal) speakers it was packaged with. You probably don't have bass management choices either. Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony all make entry level 5.1 receivers in the $150-200 range depending who is having the biggest sale. Add a pair of the pioneer bookshelf speakers for $50 or so and you can add other stuff down the road when budget allows. Tom V.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks