Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Hello from Sydney, Australia!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 AlanJ

AlanJ

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 09:27 PM

I discovered this forum just today, browsing the net, trying to solve an obscure cinema mystery from the 1950s. I can't imagine that I'll have a lot of knowledge to share with all the experts here.... but I'll enjoy the learning experience. I've been a movie lover since around 1948; by 1950, when Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson were fighting it out for an oscar that, finally, neither of them won, I guess I was hooked for life. I can't say I'm a fan of much that has been made in the last couple of decades, but I do have to say that ACTING, if nothing else, is now better than it ever was; when I look at, say, Sean Penn, or Russell Crowe, or Philip Seymour-Hoffman, I know that the movie business is still in safe hands!

#2 of 5 Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,769 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 07 2013 - 01:25 AM

Welcome, Alan.  Nice to have you here!

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#3 of 5 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,520 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 11 2013 - 05:57 AM

Welcome Alan! I agree with you on the acting, a lot of the stuff from the 40s and 50s seems very stiff to me, even in really classic films. We still have our share of wood-heads tho!

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#4 of 5 AlanJ

AlanJ

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 11 2013 - 07:23 AM

Acting styles change, I guess.... I recall that when "Gone With the Wind" came out, everyone in it received raves for their performances except Clark Gable, who was thought, back then, to be out of his depth; now, when I see that movie, everyone seems to be overacting outrageously, and Gable's performance stands as the most believable one in the movie!

#5 of 5 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,068 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 03 2013 - 11:04 PM

You have come to the right place to discuss your love of movies and all that it entails.

Cheers

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users