"The Comic" on bluray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 381 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 04:45 PM

Last December at the New Beverly Cinema in LA , there was a screening of Carl Reiner's "The Comic", released by Columbia in 1969, starring Dick Van Dyke, Michelle Lee and Mickey Rooney. Special guests on the night were Dick and Carl themselves and there are reports on the night on various sites (notably The Movable Feast' website), but the fact that the movie has only had a vhs and laserdisc release in 1986 makes it a prime candidate for reissue on dvd through Sony Pictures Choice Collection or better still, on bluray via the Twilight Time group. One of the revelations on the night was that Dick mentioned there was a collection of footage shot for the silent movie recreations that survive to this day and would mahe great special features for the movie's re-release on disc -- Carl Reiner himself summed it up best when he congratulated the organizers on the night and said “It's one of the little gems that fell under the rug and nobody found it -- you found it and I hope it gets out there to another theater some day.” I hope one day it will find it's place on dvd/bluray and am certain there would certainly be a great audio commentarythisthis movie if it is released....,. http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/177318/ http://www.hometheat...e/61/id/177319/

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,739 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 05 2013 - 05:20 PM

I would love to see this.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,222 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 05 2013 - 06:44 PM

I always felt Carl Reiner was underrated as a film director (his collaborations with Steve Martin remain among my favorite comedies), and I'd definitely be interested in seeing this.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#4 of 7 ONLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 05 2013 - 11:57 PM

I agree with Carl. It's an underrated little gem that should be discovered and appreciated by a wider audience. I thought both Dick and Mickey deserved Oscar nominations.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,498 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:12 AM

I agree that this is a shamefully under-rated/neglected/forgotten film that deserves a release. I don't think it even made it to DVD.

#6 of 7 ONLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,422 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:29 AM

Always wondered why Van Dyke thought (and Reiner told him) that the comic was "based" on Van Dyke's favorite Stan Laurel, since the entire story is a name-changed Buster Keaton biography (the drinking, the marriage problems, the obscurity and rediscovery in the 60's), albeit more accurate than Donald O'Connor's version. Laurel's life wasn't particularly that contentious, as we found out from a later This Is Your Life.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   paul_austin

paul_austin

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:36 AM

Love this movie, haven't seen it in ages. Probably on laserdisc the last time I watched it.
"My Hovercraft is Full of Eels"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users