Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

You voted and the results are in!

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#21 of 180 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Noach Kowalski  Two For the Road is not even second. What a joke.
Hard to believe  "Call of the Wild" "Black Swan" and "Jesse James" received more votes than "Two for the Road" I never voted for the 30's and 40's titles because I didn't want them and figured it would skew the voting. and yes, the John Wayne were a given and shouldn't have been included in the voting

#22 of 180 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,695 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lromero1396  My only other complaint is that I wasn't expecting to have to wait until December to get these titles, but I'll wait if it means they will be properly restored for BD release.
Really? I'm personally surprised they are coming that early. It takes a good while to prepare films for Blu-ray. 9 months from deciding the exact titles to release is pretty good.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#23 of 180 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,108 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by GMpasqua 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noach Kowalski 

Two For the Road is not even second. What a joke.
Hard to believe  "Call of the Wild" "Black Swan" and "Jesse James" received more votes than "Two for the Road"

[font=" Calibri, "sans-serif";"]I never voted for the 30's and4 0s titles because I didn't want them and figured it would skew the voting.[/font]

[font=" Calibri, "sans-serif";"]and yes, the John Wayne were a given and shouldn't have been included in the voting[/font]

It wasn't about overall number of votes, but the winning (or now first and second place) title per decade.  So the films in the 30s were only competing against other films from the 30s, not from any other decade, etc.

#24 of 180 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:17 AM

I realize that they are only completeing with each decade's titles, but do you really think there is a bigger market for some of those titles  - maybe there is

#25 of 180 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:31 AM

I realize that they are only completeing with each decade's titles, but do you really think there is a bigger market for some of those titles  - maybe there is
I know some people who lose all interest in anything made after 1934! But seriously, I think with the passage of time and the way history shrinks the years, it's getting to the point where 1954 seems nearly as ancient as 1934, so, yes, the markets are fairly comparable.

#26 of 180 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:40 AM

Really? I'm personally surprised they are coming that early. It takes a good while to prepare films for Blu-ray. 9 months from deciding the exact titles to release is pretty good.
I assumed that these titles had already had image harvests done and masters created and were just sitting on the shelf waiting, like so many Fox catalog titles. Does it really take 9 months to produce the discs if the image harvests and restoration have already been done? The reason for my assumption was Fox's failure to include many titles worthy of release and their decision to include many titles which obviously wouldn't sell in the voting.

#27 of 180 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:44 AM

CAVALCADE! YES!!! I can't wait to enter my pre-orders, and am delighted with the coupons. Did I get everything I wanted? Of course not. But this is a great start.

#28 of 180 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,695 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 05 2013 - 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lromero1396  I assumed that these titles had already had image harvests done and masters created and were just sitting on the shelf waiting, like so many Fox catalog titles. Does it really take 9 months to produce the discs if the image harvests and restoration have already been done? The reason for my assumption was Fox's failure to include many titles worthy of release and their decision to include many titles which obviously wouldn't sell in the voting.
I imagine preliminary prep work has been done with all the titles in the poll, but I doubt all the work necessary to release any of the titles is already finalized. The poll was likely to actually determine which titles to prioritize for moving to the next phase of actual release, including any further image & audio cleanup.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#29 of 180 OFFLINE   GMpasqua

GMpasqua

Screenwriter

• 1,430 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 11:29 AM

I would also believe a handful of these titles will be released through through Twilight Time - They did the isolated track on "Can-Can" and that would not be a big seller for Fox, I would guess "How to Steal a Million" (unless WB snaps this and "Two For the Road" up for an Audrey Hepburn Box set) and "Prime of Miss Jean Brodie" may also find their way to Twilight Time.

#30 of 180 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 644 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 11:38 AM

Except for Desk Set, which I seem to have purchased too many times on dvd, all of the titles will be immediate purchases! I am especially excited about Black Swan and Jesse James!

#31 of 180 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 12:20 PM

I imagine preliminary prep work has been done with all the titles in the poll, but I doubt all the work necessary to release any of the titles is already finalized. The poll was likely to actually determine which titles to prioritize for moving to the next phase of actual release, including any further image & audio cleanup.
Look at The Egyptian, which went to Twilight Time. The master was finished; completely restored and awaiting release before it was sent to Twilight Time. But maybe that was just the movie and Fox has to take some time to create extras, master discs, run tests, etc. But hey, if the long wait means a product of top-notch quality, then I'll wait.

#32 of 180 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,878 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 05 2013 - 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Old Fogey  I am disappointed that the three big westerns from the fifties (The Bravados, Broken Lance, and especially The Tall Men) didn't make it but I hope Fox doesn't give up on them. They are made for blu and I think they would sell.
THE TALL MEN is available in a gorgeous, REGION FREE Blu Ray from Koch Media in Germany. I hope Koch will release the other two mentioned as well as a Blu of FROM HELL TO TEXAS (though their standard release is beautiful) and THE GUNFIGHTER.  The DVDs and Blus I have seen from them have been stunning.

#33 of 180 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 01:50 PM

Seeing that Desk Set and North to Alaska have already been released elsewhere I doubt that much work is necessary to bring these to Blu-Ray!

#34 of 180 OFFLINE   kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 01:52 PM

THE TALL MEN is available in a gorgeous, REGION FREE Blu Ray from Koch Media in Germany. I hope Koch will release the other two mentioned as well as a Blu of FROM HELL TO TEXAS (though their standard release is beautiful) and THE GUNFIGHTER.  The DVDs and Blus I have seen from them have been stunning.
The Koch Blu of The Last Sunset looks worse than my DVD of the film, so I guess it all depends on what the studio gives them.

#35 of 180 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 02:00 PM

Though I will add that the placement of two John Wayne titles in the 60s bracket was very unnecessary. Those were guaranteed breadwinners that crowded out other titles that the poll would have been better suited for.
Very true, The Undefeated is no classic at all, it is not even one of the twenty best John Wayne movies. I really dislike the fact that the inclusion of the two John Wayne titles basically rendered the 60ies polls useless for all of us who are not John Wayne fans or should I better say not fans of EVERYTHING John Wayne? For comparison sake and I know the site is not the definite one with regard to taste in movies: http://www.imdb.com/...00078/filmorate The Undefeated is the 60th (!!!) ranked John Wayne movie by ratings and North to Alaska is 35th - really glad that we now will get the 60th best movie of Johne Wayne on Blu-Ray instead of lame stuff like The Agony and the Ecstasy and Two for the Road :rolleyes: I guess it could be worse - we would probably have gotten 8 Johne Wayne movies, no matter how mediocre, if the poll had included 2 of them for each decade!

#36 of 180 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 02:05 PM

The Koch Blu of The Last Sunset looks worse than my DVD of the film, so I guess it all depends on what the studio gives them.
Koch seems to release whatever they can get and this includes stinkers like The last Sunset and El Cid as well as very nice releases like The Tall Men and Time Bandits. I have no idea about their contractual arrangements with studios but imo they should strive to release only titles above a certain quality - it would show rights holders that not every crap will get released just because it might be a tiny bit better than DVD quality, if at all.

#37 of 180 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 02:08 PM

I must be a dinosaur riding, Latin speaking Neanderthal to not particularly care for CAVALCADE.
Welcome to the club, I must have missed the memo and what makes this movie so great and worthy of release. I would sincerely like for somebody to explain this to me.

#38 of 180 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,992 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 02:25 PM

Welcome to the club, I must have missed the memo and what makes this movie so great and worthy of release. I would sincerely like for somebody to explain this to me.
Well, it is the lone Best Picture to not be released on its own (only available in a box-set with several other previously released titles). If it had had a stand-alone release, it might not have gotten so many votes. As for its quality, well thats up to everyones personal tastes. But being a Best Picture does set it apart from many other films. David

#39 of 180 OFFLINE   cityscope

cityscope

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 02:28 PM

Haven't read all the other responses, but... This is a REALLY classy way to handle a month-long poll like this. I regret my earlier angrier post from before the results were announced. And I know I'll be picking up at least half of the titles (including BOTH winners from the '50s - 2 great movies I've wanted on BD for a long long time). Cheers to FOX, to all who voted who got any of their personal picks released so far, and to the Forum for hosting and promoting this entire effort. Well done all around.

#40 of 180 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,917 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 02:43 PM

Well, it is the lone Best Picture to not be released on its own (only available in a box-set with several other previously released titles). If it had had a stand-alone release, it might not have gotten so many votes. As for its quality, well thats up to everyones personal tastes. But being a Best Picture does set it apart from many other films. David
Ah, I understand, it is a completionist thing then! From what I read it was not really considered that good by many even back then but an award is an award I guess...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow