What's new

John Wayne: The War Wagon / Rooster Cogburn (Germany/in May) (1 Viewer)

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Universal will release on May 8th the John Wayne movies "The War Wagon"(1967) and "Rooster Cogburn"(1976) on Blu-ray in Germany. Maybe that´s a good sign that both movies are comming to the USA as well....

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Mr. Pacino said:
Universal will release on May 8th the John Wayne movies "The War Wagon"(1967) and "Rooster Cogburn"(1976) on Blu-ray in Germany. Maybe that´s a good sign that both movies are comming to the USA as well....
I sure as hell hope so. Though I would rather a double feature of THE WAR WAGON and THE HELLFIGHTERS.

Mr. Pacino said:
Do you have a link for this? The only thing I have found is a Netherlands release on that date for The War Wagon, no Rooster Cogburn. The also have Bend of The River and Winchester 73 listed.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
John Hermes said:
Do you have a link for this? The only thing I have found is a Netherlands release on that date for The War Wagon, no Rooster Cogburn. The also have Bend of The River and Winchester 73 listed.
www.amazon.de The German titles are "Die Gewaltigen" and "Mit Dynamit und frommen Sprüchen". You can also go to www.bluray-disc.de There´s the news that lots of Universal catalog titles will be released in May(the Eastwood westerns "Joe Kidd" and Two Mules For Sister Sarah" as well). But it´s in German. They have also posted the cover there. They´re even in English but I don´t know whether they´re the final cover artwork.

Mr. Pacino said:
www.amazon.de The German titles are "Die Gewaltigen" and "Mit Dynamit und frommen Sprüchen". You can also go to www.bluray-disc.de There´s the news that lots of Universal catalog titles will be released in May(the Eastwood westerns "Joe Kidd" and Two Mules For Sister Sarah" as well). But it´s in German. They have also posted the cover there. They´re even in English but I don´t know whether they´re the final cover artwork.
It now appears these will be released May 6 in the UK as well, along with Two Mules For Sister Sara and Joe Kidd. Universal titles are usually region free in UK. http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=10648

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Films that are directly released by Universal overseas are generally region free. Airport was released in UK and region free. The McHale's Navy movies were released in Australia and are region free. If these films are being released directly by Universal then they will likely be region free. If they are being released by a third party then it becomes more problematic.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I picked up the British releases of these, also getting Two Mules For Sister Sara. They are all region free and each looks excellent. The only thing I saw to criticize was a very small bit of gate weave on The War Wagon and Two Mules For Sister Sara, but it's quite minor. Other than that, color, sharpness, and contrast are excellent on each Blu-ray. I think any fan of Westerns or John Wayne (for two of the films) would be very happy with these releases.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I just watched these 2 blus last weekend, and have to say that they are absolutely stunning looking. I wish all studios took the time and care to release films onto high def with this type of quality. I can not recommend the purchase of these 2 BDs more...

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
jim_falconer said:
I just watched these 2 blus last weekend, and have to say that they are absolutely stunning looking. I wish all studios took the time and care to release films onto high def with this type of quality. I can not recommend the purchase of these 2 BDs more...
Hopefully, the September scheduled Paramount releases in France of Hatari! and El Dorado will be nice as well. It seems crazy, with a population of 300 million + in this country, these John Wayne films couldn't make money with domestic versions.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
John Hermes said:
Hopefully, the September scheduled Paramount releases in France of Hatari! and El Dorado will be nice as well. It seems crazy, with a population of 300 million + in this country, these John Wayne films couldn't make money with domestic versions.
Agreed. I think Amazon UK had the 2 titles listed for a little while, but pulled them shortly after that. After seeing the quality of El Droado on AMCHD recently, I think we will be in for a treat come September!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks