What's new

Blu Universal Monsters (1 Viewer)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just had my MUMMY LEGACY from Universal have a glitch in the play thru of one of its titles (MUMMY TOMBS). It freezes on three different machines....Just wondering if Universal released the titles as they are on Blu ray, would anyone purchase them. Because of the double sided disc, they seemed to have offered a lot of trouble when they were first released, and now i find the titles deteroriate. Some of my favoriate "stuff" is on those collections....the thought of them disolving before i do, upsets me.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
bob kaplan said:
Just had my MUMMY LEGACY from Universal have a glitch in the play thru of one of its titles (MUMMY TOMBS). It freezes on three different machines....Just wondering if Universal released the titles as they are on Blu ray, would anyone purchase them. Because of the double sided disc, they seemed to have offered a lot of trouble when they were first released, and now i find the titles deteroriate. Some of my favoriate "stuff" is on those collections....the thought of them disolving before i do, upsets me.
Some people have gotten the double feature dvds to avoid that double sided disk problem. I think all of the Universal monster movies in the legacy sets that did not make the blu collection were released on single sided double feature disks except House of Dracula and the Invisible Man sequals. Nevertheless, I hope they all make blu.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I will buy the blurays of anything universal monsters the second they are available. I'm not holding my breath though.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm hoping for a sequels box for this halloween. It seems a reasonable bet, they must have sold a lot of the first box, it's all good business for Universal.

What do you guys do with the paper backing on the package? Mine isn't looking too hot (torn badly at the bottom) and I'm thinking about tossing it.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
eric scott richard said:
What do you guys do with the paper backing on the package? Mine isn't looking too hot (torn badly at the bottom) and I'm thinking about tossing it.
I took it off, folded it in half, and slipped it inside the accompanying booklet. The box looks infinitely better without it, but I can't quite bring myself to toss it. :D I have all the Legacy sets, but I held onto the earlier double feature discs just in case the dual-sided Legacy discs fail (which means I'm outta luck if House of Dracula or the Invisible Man sequels go south). I'd prefer HD transfers, but I'd probably buy the existing SD transfers on blu-ray just for something more robust.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Billy Batson said:
I'm hoping for a sequels box for this halloween. It seems a reasonable bet, they must have sold a lot of the first box, it's all good business for Universal.
Last word I heard from the CHFB was that Universal was going classic sci fi blu this fall. Perhaps that would encompass the Creature sequals.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JoeDoakes said:
Last word I heard from the CHFB was that Universal was going classic sci fi blu this fall. Perhaps that would encompass the Creature sequals.
No, last time the Creature sequels reappeared, they were on solo-Monster collections (back when Universal thought they'd actually get a "Van Helsing" sequel with the Creature and the Invisible Man, just for brand completism). Ever since, their strategy has to be the group-monster boxes first, and the solo boxes later for the folks who didn't buy the group box since they apparently only wanted one monster. That's rather literally the case with Creature-3D fans. ;), so it's likely they'll split up the next dip, but whether we'll get a Creature box with the 3D and a new converted Return, that's more iffy. Good to hear about the classic sci-fi, though--Last time Universal got those out on disk, they were three-disk/double-feature cleanup-boxsets of Incredible Shrinking Man, Dr. Cyclops, Tarantula, Monster on the Campus, etc., but exiled off to Best Buy exclusives, until ISM came back as the only recognizable solo title. The others are still too obscure to come out on their own, but wouldn't mind a box.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
JoeDoakes said:
That'll do for me, it would be a great box (the horror sequels will be released on Blu sooner or later).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Billy Batson said:
I want those sequels on Blu, too, but unlike you am hoping they concentrate on their first sci-fi classic box this year: DR. CYCLOPS (Technicolor) IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D) TARANTULA (1.85:1) THIS ISLAND EARTH (Technicolor) (2:00:1) THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1.85:1) REVENG E OF THE CREATURE (3-D) ...and two more titles from this pool: MOLE PEOPLE; LAND UNKNOWN; MONOLITH MONSTERS; DEADLY MANTIS; and, perhaps, a couple of more recent titles that were ruined on DVD due to despicable pan-and-scan treatment: ICEMAN and COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by eric scott richard
I discard them entirely. Always have.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Dick said:
I want those sequels on Blu, too, but unlike you am hoping they concentrate on their first sci-fi classic box this year: DR. CYCLOPS (Technicolor) IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D) TARANTULA (1.85:1) THIS ISLAND EARTH (Technicolor) (2:00:1) THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1.85:1) ...and three more titles from this pool: MOLE PEOPLE; LAND UNKNOWN; MONOLITH MONSTERS; DEADLY MANTIS; and, perhaps, a couple of more recent titles that were ruined on DVD due to despicable pan-and-scan treatment: ICEMAN and COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT.
Like I said, I'd be very happy with a classic sci-fi box, as long as it contained, This Island Earth, It Came From Outer Space & The Incredible Shrinking Man. I'd also like Revenge Of The Creature & Land Unknown. I think a sci-fi box would be a very good idea for this year, then people would be more than ready for a monsters sequels box next year...or better still, both of them this year!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Deadly Mantis.. It's one of those 50's sci-fi flicks with mostly cheesy Sfx, story, production values, and acting. And still, I love it. Would love to have it on blu with a good commentary.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I read that Universal was prepping a special feature on Jack Arnold who directed It Came From Outer Space, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Revenge of the Creature, Tarantula, and The Incredible Shrinking Man.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
I read that Universal was prepping a special feature on Jack Arnold who directed It Came From Outer Space, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Revenge of the Creature, Tarantula, and The Incredible Shrinking Man.
I'm good with all these titles, I just ask that all the Creature sequels are in one box. Let's not piss around and spread out the sequels of a single series to multiple sets, go all in!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Dick said:
I want those sequels on Blu, too, but unlike you am hoping they concentrate on their first sci-fi classic box this year: DR. CYCLOPS (Technicolor) IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (3-D) TARANTULA (1.85:1) THIS ISLAND EARTH (Technicolor) (2:00:1) THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1.85:1) ...and three more titles from this pool: MOLE PEOPLE; LAND UNKNOWN; MONOLITH MONSTERS; DEADLY MANTIS; and, perhaps, a couple of more recent titles that were ruined on DVD due to despicable pan-and-scan treatment: ICEMAN and COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT.
IIRC, the 2 previous Best Buy boxsets consisted of most of those titles: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sci-Fi-Ultimate-Collection-Vols/dp/B0013XZ6SY/
Prepare to be blown away with 10 out-of-this-world adventures from the golden age of Hollywood in The Classic Sci-Fi Ultimate Collection: Volumes 1& 2! Loaded with innovative special effects and captivating storylines, these timeless tales will take you into the strange and shocking worlds of Tarantula, The Mole People, The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters, Monster on the Campus, Dr. Cyclops, Cult of the Cobra, The Land Unknown, The Deadly Mantis and The Leech Woman. You can run and you can hide, but you won't want to miss a minute of the fun in this amazing sci-fi showcase!
I gather the same set of titles will be on Universal's bulk-box radar. No 3D It or Creature, sorry, and Forbin and Island still have enough reputation to cut it as solo titles, as ISM eventually reappeared. (Although "Mystery Science Theater 3000: the Movie" is no longer in Universal hands, so no chance of expecting THAT version of This Island Earth as a bonus feature. ;) ) Now, as to whether we get a 3-D Revenge to go with the inevitable solo Creature box...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ejanss said:
IIRC, the 2 previous Best Buy boxsets consisted of most of those titles: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sci-Fi-Ultimate-Collection-Vols/dp/B0013XZ6SY/ I gather the same set of titles will be on Universal's bulk-box radar. No 3D It or Creature, sorry, and Forbin and Island still have enough reputation to cut it as solo titles, as ISM eventually reappeared. (Although "Mystery Science Theater 3000: the Movie" is no longer in Universal hands, so no chance of expecting THAT version of This Island Earth as a bonus feature. ;) ) Now, as to whether we get a 3-D Revenge to go with the inevitable solo Creature box...
You gather that there will be no 3D ICFOS or 3D ROTC? Are you guessing or have some facts? Not being argumentative, but want to know what you know.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Johnny Angell said:
You gather that there will be no 3D ICFOS or 3D ROTC? Are you guessing or have some facts? Not being argumentative, but want to know what you know.
Just instinct, friend... :cool: If they HAD been working an a 3D It, Bob F. would have let us know by now (he's the expert you'd want to check with), and any Monsters sequels are going to be kept safely under their own marketable brandname. Wouldn't want to throw those away on anyone else's boxsets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks