What's new

Philips blu ray to Sony receiver Sound Woes (1 Viewer)

menkes

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott m
I have a Philips BDP5506 blu ray player, with firmware current, connected to a Sony STR-DH720 receiver. The receiver itself connects via HDMI to a projector. The blu ray is connected to the receiver via HDMI. The picture is fine, but there is no sound. When I go into the blu ray menu the HDMI audio output is greyed out. As a workaround, I connected a coax line from the blu ray to the receiver and modified the receiver input for the blu ray sound. If the HDMI cable is connected, I get picture but no sound. If I unplug the HDMI I get sound ( no picture, of course). I am at my wits end. Suggestions? Thanks.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Welcome to HTF! As a start, go into the menus and make sure EasyLink is turned off. This is usually one of the biggest headaches with HDMI, and manufacturers think they are doing you a favor by turning this feature ON by default. Then, disconnect the coax audio cable. I would then try a different HDMI input on the receiver. If that is still an issue, check to make sure the receiver is set to receive audio from HDMI on that input. Try these options again, but use this power-on sequence, as it may also be a simple handshake issue: 1. Projector 2. Receiver 3. Blu-ray player Let us know if that helps.

menkes

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott m
Easylink turned off. Coax removed. I tried the power on order suggested. I swapped to another HDMI cable that produces sound and audio from my XBox. I swapped to another HDMI port on the receiver that I know produces sound and audio via HDMI. Still nothing. The HDMI Audio option on the BD player is greyed out no matter what I try. As stated, I did a firmware update. Well...then I decide to connect directly to a TV. Now it has HDMI audio. So it must be the negotiating between the BD player and the receiver. No other device I have has had an issue with the receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks