What's new

Weird issue playing BD-R discs on Sony BDP-S590 and Panasonic DMP-BD30 players with Sony Bravia TV (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
If I put the BD-R discs in the Sony BDP-S590 blu-ray player, the Home menu for the player pops up, states that it's a "BD-R BDMV", but when I select the option to play the disc, it just goes back to the blu-ray player's menu. It won't actually play the disc. It gives no error message. I contacted Sony via chat on their website, and they didn't seem to know much. If I put the same disc into the Panasonic DMP-BD30 player, it plays the disc, but I only hear the audio. The screen is black. However, if I try to fast forward, I get a half second glimpse of the video that I'm supposed to be seeing. 3 discs--same thing. However, I have a handful of other BD-R discs that play fine. The firmware is up to date on both players. I don't have a PC to put the discs in to test. Does anyone know what would be causing this? I would think that if the discs were bad, then I wouldn't see the video when I fast forward????

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
There are many different video encoding methods which can be used to record video on a Blu-ray disc. Stand-alone Blu-ray disc players support very few of them. You'll need to get a computer with a Blu-ray drive if you want to view more of the different formats. Apparently, you have some discs recorded using encoders which are compatible with your stand-alone players and some which are not compatible. When using your S590 to watch the video on a disc that works, press the "Display" button on the player's remote. It should show the video format in the bottom left corner of the screen. Tell your supplier that you need to have discs written using that encoding method. The player's manuals include more details about what other on-disc video formats are compatible. p.s. Just in case it's actually an HDMI signal compatibility problem, configure the disc players to output a fixed 1080i video signal, and disable "deep color", too. I know that S590 has those options. I'm sure the Panasonic player does, too.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I bet the encoding is the issue. Thanks The HDMI signal compatibility test didn't solve it.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
So, it turns out that not all Region Free blu-rays are compatible with all U.S. players. The issue is that my players aren't 50Hz compatible, which is standard for European countries: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=95245

Users who are viewing this thread