-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Starting Scratch...New Build Home Theater Hardware.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Layton

Layton

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 05:32 AM

Hey Friends, I haven't owned any kind of HT equipment since the early 90's. I'm a middle aged guy with a fair amount of DIY skills. I now have a chance to build my Man Cave, Game Room/Home Bar area in my basement. I've been researching for a couple days different HT Equipment. Looking for something that will give a good A/V experience at a modest price.The room is mostly finished. So it's time to get the HT hardware. I'll be watching mostly Directv, and BluRay Movies,some Dvd's and there will also be an X-Box 360. This is the equipment I have chosen. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions on better choices for the around the same money. As this is pretty much all I want to spend. HDTV: Sharp 70" LC70LE640U $2299.88 A/V Rec : Denon AVR 1713 $448.95 Speakers: Pioneer SP-PK525 $549.99 BluRay Player : Panasonic DMP-BDT 220 $88.00 This looks pretty decent on paper. But I would like to get some opinions from people who know there A/V equipment. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and any opinions offered. Mike

#2 of 8 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,151 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 06:29 AM

Not bad, but I'm not crazy about the speakers. You didn't say how big a room you're filling, but the sub is weak with an 8" driver, and 87-88 efficiency is only okay. I have to include that I'm never heard these, so if you have and you like them that makes all the difference. But if I were buying "blind", I'd go something like this: http://www.amazon.co...heater speakers http://www.amazon.co...woofer speakers

#3 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,252 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 03 2013 - 06:32 AM

I'd pay less money and try to snag one of the last 73" DLP. http://www.amazon.co...eywords=73" dlp

#4 of 8 Layton

Layton

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 06:58 AM

Thanks Al, The room is approx. 23x17. Although I intend to have a Bar and Dart Board area in the back half of this space. It will all be in the same open area. I chose the Pioneers mostly because of C-Net's review off them. They also Reviewed the Energy speakers as well. I have not listened to either one of the sets. I will certainly check out the Energy's again especially with that Sub upgrade. That may well be the way to go. Will either one of these work with the size room I have. Buying floor standing fronts looks like it doubles the price on a speaker set. Mike

#5 of 8 Layton

Layton

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 07:10 AM

Thanks Sam, I never even looked at DLP. I just watched the youtube video on it though. Sounds Great! How does DLP compare with LED. I know I can research this myself but that's what I came here for. Real opinions from people I can talk with personally. Mike

#6 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,252 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 08:07 AM

LED is just the backlight for an LCD. LCD is the lowest performance/cost ratio. DLP is the highest performance/cost ratio. Plasma sits in the middle. Projectors are all over the map performance/cost.

#7 of 8 Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 03 2013 - 09:54 AM

The DLP TV's have a couple negatives. 1) The bulb has to be changed periodically. 2) The color wheels tend to go bad, just like projectors. If I bought one of the DLP TV's, I would buy an ext. warranty also.

#8 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,252 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 09:59 AM

The bulbs are $100 and need changed every 3 years(on average). The color wheels "should be" changed by the 3rd buld(6th year of the TV). That is "if" the colorwheel ever has a problem. The number one problem is a bearing crashes. The bulbs take about 10 minutes to change. The colorwheel can be DIY in 90 minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users