What's new

Starting Scratch...New Build Home Theater Hardware. (1 Viewer)

Layton

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hey Friends, I haven't owned any kind of HT equipment since the early 90's. I'm a middle aged guy with a fair amount of DIY skills. I now have a chance to build my Man Cave, Game Room/Home Bar area in my basement. I've been researching for a couple days different HT Equipment. Looking for something that will give a good A/V experience at a modest price.The room is mostly finished. So it's time to get the HT hardware. I'll be watching mostly Directv, and BluRay Movies,some Dvd's and there will also be an X-Box 360. This is the equipment I have chosen. Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions on better choices for the around the same money. As this is pretty much all I want to spend. HDTV: Sharp 70" LC70LE640U $2299.88 A/V Rec : Denon AVR 1713 $448.95 Speakers: Pioneer SP-PK525 $549.99 BluRay Player : Panasonic DMP-BDT 220 $88.00 This looks pretty decent on paper. But I would like to get some opinions from people who know there A/V equipment. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and any opinions offered. Mike

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Not bad, but I'm not crazy about the speakers. You didn't say how big a room you're filling, but the sub is weak with an 8" driver, and 87-88 efficiency is only okay. I have to include that I'm never heard these, so if you have and you like them that makes all the difference. But if I were buying "blind", I'd go something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Take-Classic-Pack-Theater/dp/B0021L9BME/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362338657&sr=1-2&keywords=home+theater+speakers http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362338691&sr=1-1&keywords=subwoofer+speakers

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'd pay less money and try to snag one of the last 73" DLP. http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-WD73642-73-Inch-Home-Cinema/dp/B007TGKLGQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1362339152&sr=1-5&keywords=73%22+dlp

Layton

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Al, The room is approx. 23x17. Although I intend to have a Bar and Dart Board area in the back half of this space. It will all be in the same open area. I chose the Pioneers mostly because of C-Net's review off them. They also Reviewed the Energy speakers as well. I have not listened to either one of the sets. I will certainly check out the Energy's again especially with that Sub upgrade. That may well be the way to go. Will either one of these work with the size room I have. Buying floor standing fronts looks like it doubles the price on a speaker set. Mike

Layton

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Sam, I never even looked at DLP. I just watched the youtube video on it though. Sounds Great! How does DLP compare with LED. I know I can research this myself but that's what I came here for. Real opinions from people I can talk with personally. Mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
LED is just the backlight for an LCD. LCD is the lowest performance/cost ratio. DLP is the highest performance/cost ratio. Plasma sits in the middle. Projectors are all over the map performance/cost.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The DLP TV's have a couple negatives. 1) The bulb has to be changed periodically. 2) The color wheels tend to go bad, just like projectors. If I bought one of the DLP TV's, I would buy an ext. warranty also.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The bulbs are $100 and need changed every 3 years(on average). The color wheels "should be" changed by the 3rd buld(6th year of the TV). That is "if" the colorwheel ever has a problem. The number one problem is a bearing crashes. The bulbs take about 10 minutes to change. The colorwheel can be DIY in 90 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks