What's new

Best amplifier for my system (1 Viewer)

DavidKS1

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I have an Onkyo TX NR1008 powering NHT 3.3 fronts and 1.5 rears. Will likely get an NHT AC2 for the center very soon. My AV room is about 20' long by 13' wide with system facing longwise. I have the 3.3's highs and mids separated from the woofers, but despite the 135WPC both are begging for more power. Any advice on an amp? I am wired for 7.1, but believe the C,LR,RR,Lmid, and Rmid will do well on the receiver alone. I might add a separate sub, but think the 3.3 would be ample if powered sufficiently. I would like to be around $300-$400 used on the amp, and based upon the above, really only need a high quality 5 channel amp. I am relative noob, but have high standards. Any audiophile advice would be appreciated. Thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I use that very same AVR on a complete set of BIC V830/820/62(V from the 90s, not the DV found on Amazon) in a 7.1 + height. My room reaches 109db at "main seated" position, with no external help. How much louder do you need? A $300 5 channel amp is going to provide no increase in volume. It is going to take a Sunfire Cinema Grand ii-ish(400 watts a channel) amplifier to make a difference.

DavidKS1

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Sounds great when volume is turned up, but the 3.3's are no better sounding than maybe some $200 polks at lower volumes. Looking at an ati502 on EBay (two channel) right now-thoughts?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yeah, that amp is not going to stay in your price range. If it doesn't hit $500 I'll be shocked. And if it stays under $400 I'll throw bids on it. That thing is a war horse. (I'll buy any amp that is under 50% what it cost new) Those were $800 new. An amp "should never" sell for less than 60% what it cost new. Heck, I buy these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-Basic-M2A-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-Work-TESTED-/261177543842?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item3ccf650ca2 Anytime I find then under $275. I have 5 of them. Tempted to pick up this one. I'm irritated I missed this one...(I was watching it...and forgot to bid on it) http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kenwood-M2A-Stereo-Power-Amplifier-/390541319594?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item5aee139daa

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did find an ATI 1502 that sold for $300 + $40 in shipping... The guy selling had more than one...and can't spell. People who can't spell scare bidders away. So, maybe that 1502 will stay in your range. But $340 for one of those...really?

DavidKS1

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Thought it might stay in my range, but doesnt appear I should bid with U alone in the mix. I've seen others who collect amps. Got to ask...why? Sure there is a good reason-I'm just curious-is it a resale income stream?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Amplifiers(good ones) will be the mainstay of your stereo system for eons. I have a Heathkit amplifier my grandfather made. It still works. If it ever breaks down...it is simple enough I could fix it. Amplifiers will never be replaced until the day they figure out how to amplify a digital signal(read...never). There is an adage in home audio... Speakers come and go, technology changes..but a good amp is forever.

DavidKS1

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Good stuff. Give me a clean shot at the ATI 1502 and you will get cosmic kharma bonus points-eh...brother?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I was just asking a friend of mine about the ATI 1502 compared to the M2A, which I'm partial to... He said... "Don't bother with the 1502"... The M2A, each channel, has better specs than the 1502 bridged mono.

DavidKS1

Auditioning
Real Name
David
I'll assume the sound quality is as good or better. Have any advice for some in-wall speakers for my Mid's? Is there a better option than just defaulting to the AC2 to match my NHT 3.3's and 1.5's. THX for your input and candor.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I will always recommend sticking to the same brand when it comes to speakers....so no, there is nothing else you could choose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks