Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can someone explain this to me...why not release Popeye Volume 4 with the Famous Studio cartoons and continue the sets?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,015 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 11:37 AM

Just saw this pop up on TVshowsondvd.com and this has me baffled...http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Popeye-1960s-Classics-Vol-1/18139 Are they going to skip through the cartoons from the 1940s and 1950s to start producing these cartoons? It would have been nice to see a proper Volume 4 being released in the summertime after a long wait but this? Hoping more details can surface regarding this title.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 11:54 AM

WHV retail is holding onto the remaining Theatrical cartoon, is restoring them as we speak, in anticipation of putting them out closer to the release of the new animated film. The made-for-TV cartoons are in Warner Archive's domain, probably because WHV retail wants no part of them.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 09:43 AM

I would guess two problems are still holding up the color theatrical Popeyes: (1) restoration issues -- I seem to recall reading that apparently, the original main and end titles are missing from the majority of the films, having been replaced in the 1950s with the a.a.p. titles, and unlike the B&W shorts, in some cases they don't even have the original audio to work with. For me personally, I would say if that's the big holdup and the material is really lost, just put them out the way they are. But I'm not 100% certain what they have/don't have. But I bet another problem is (2) if they won't release a certain two Tom & Jerry cartoons, where does that leave certain Popeye shorts like "Popeye's Pappy," "The Island Fling," etc. When King Features and WB made their agreement, one stipulation was that WB would release the made-for-TV cartoons (which were never part of the Turner library) as well as the theatrical ones. My hunch is the 1960 shorts are ready to go and need little if any work, so they're going ahead with those next.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 11:21 AM

(2) if they won't release a certain two Tom & Jerry cartoons, where does that leave certain Popeye shorts like "Popeye's Pappy," "The Island Fling," etc.

I'm certain THOSE should be fine. Even when WHV was omitting those same to Tom and Jerrys from Spotlight Collection volume 3, they put out all the WWII Popeyes with Japanese stereotypes.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 11:27 AM

WHV retail is holding onto the remaining Theatrical cartoon, is restoring them as we speak, in anticipation of putting them out closer to the release of the new animated film. The made-for-TV cartoons are in Warner Archive's domain, probably because WHV retail wants no part of them.

This.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 399 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 11:37 AM

I'm certain THOSE should be fine. Even when WHV was omitting those same to Tom and Jerrys from Spotlight Collection volume 3, they put out all the WWII Popeyes with Japanese stereotypes.

Not necessarily, as there have been all sorts of changes to home video, and WHV in particular, since then. Yesterday's WHV wouldn't have omitted two T&Js out of fear on a new series specifically aimed at collectors. They would, however, release fully-restored Popeyes to collectors and unrestored Spotlights (with two omitted cartoons) to families, which is what happened. Since the line between collectors and families has been blurred, who knows what to expect from WHV now?

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 04:37 AM

Not necessarily, as there have been all sorts of changes to home video, and WHV in particular, since then. Yesterday's WHV wouldn't have omitted two T&Js out of fear on a new series specifically aimed at collectors. They would, however, release fully-restored Popeyes to collectors and unrestored Spotlights (with two omitted cartoons) to families, which is what happened. Since the line between collectors and families has been blurred, who knows what to expect from WHV now?

Also...the Popeye DVDs even have the years on them (1933-1938, 1938-1940, 1941-1943), which normally is unheard of for a Warner cartoon release. Two distinctions: (1) T&J apparently are unfortunately handled by the "family entertainment" division and are viewed as children's fare, which is not the case with Popeye, and (2) the Popeye cartoons are subject to a trademark licensing agreement with King Features. Who knows what kind of terms were worked out? Maybe WB agreed to release ALL the Popeyes under contract? I don't know, but clearly Popeye and T&J are apples and oranges.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,015 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 09:47 AM

Also...the Popeye DVDs even have the years on them (1933-1938, 1938-1940, 1941-1943), which normally is unheard of for a Warner cartoon release. Two distinctions: (1) T&J apparently are unfortunately handled by the "family entertainment" division and are viewed as children's fare, which is not the case with Popeye, and (2) the Popeye cartoons are subject to a trademark licensing agreement with King Features. Who knows what kind of terms were worked out? Maybe WB agreed to release ALL the Popeyes under contract? I don't know, but clearly Popeye and T&J are apples and oranges.

So I take it that a Volume 4 Famous Studio Years/1944-? isn't going to be in the works but they will jump right into the 1960s cartoons, by which there are about 220 of them in scope and release it via volumes as well through their MOD?

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Y

Mark Y

Supporting Actor

• 578 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 03:00 PM

So I take it that a Volume 4 Famous Studio Years/1944-? isn't going to be in the works but they will jump right into the 1960s cartoons, by which there are about 220 of them in scope and release it via volumes as well through their MOD?

http://cartoonresear...sked-questions/ Scroll down...

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,707 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 04:31 PM

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/frequently-asked-questions/ Scroll down...

Never caught that. Most of that page's content was added a long time ago, but that is clearly a new addition. Great news.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,450 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 02:34 AM

Remaining Theatrical Popeyes from the 40's and 50's = Warner Home Video -Retail Release (unless Warners later changes their mind and sends them to the archive) 60's TV Popeyes = Warner Archive Mod Release WHV and WA are 2 seperate entities of Warner and each have their own release schedules.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,015 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 11:26 AM

Remaining Theatrical Popeyes from the 40's and 50's = Warner Home Video -Retail Release (unless Warners later changes their mind and sends them to the archive) 60's TV Popeyes = Warner Archive Mod Release WHV and WA are 2 seperate entities of Warner and each have their own release schedules.

Thanks Randy for the extra info on this...just hoping WHV does release a Volume 4 of these Popeye Famous Studio cartoons and then the Archives can release the remaining ones from 1960 and thereafter.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,015 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 11:30 AM

Thanks Randy for the extra info on this...just hoping WHV does release a Volume 4 of these Popeye Famous Studio cartoons and then the Archives can release the remaining ones from 1960 and thereafter.

And this is very interesting news as well...http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/frequently-asked-questions/ WHY AREN’T THE CLASSIC COLOR POPEYE CARTOONS RELEASED ON VIDEO? Good News! Warner Bros. will release these to DVD and Blu-Ray next year. Restoration is taking place now. The first boxed set should be released in July 2014! So this could be the Volume 4 I was referring to then. If so, AWESOME!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users