-

Photo
- - - - -

Home Theater Forum is Moving. All Members Please Read!

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 of 68 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted March 02 2013 - 04:50 AM

Hopefully things will be smoother than this Huddler system. I've personally disliked it from day one, but that may just be me. I'm rather easy to adapt to these kinds of changes, but the move from vBulletin to Huddler was a tough pill to swallow for me, and I've never really made my peace with it.   In fact, just yesterday I attempted to post on this site with the new IE10 browser, and ran into many roadblocks.   Best of luck to the owners and moderators, and I'll look forward to the new digs. Suggestion for everyone: Use the time the HTF is down to actually WATCH some movies! :)   Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#22 of 68 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,741 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 02 2013 - 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Harry-N 

Hopefully things will be smoother than this Huddler system. I've personally disliked it from day one, but that may just be me. I'm rather easy to adapt to these kinds of changes, but the move from vBulletin to Huddler was a tough pill to swallow for me, and I've never really made my peace with it.   In fact, just yesterday I attempted to post on this site with the new IE10 browser, and ran into many roadblocks.   Best of luck to the owners and moderators, and I'll look forward to the new digs. Suggestion for everyone: Use the time the HTF is down to actually WATCH some movies! :)   Harry

Thanks for the great advice Harry.  In an effort to keep the migration on schedule Dave, Kevin, Ron and I will try to resist the urge and try to stay focused.

#23 of 68 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 08:14 AM

Well Adam, you guys have the hard work, and I was more advising those of us who aren't involved in the migration. But, if I know anything, I know that there is "downtime" during these migrations. Still, for you guys, maybe a few hours of sleep would do better than another spin of CITIZEN KANE...  :)

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#24 of 68 jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 04:18 PM

will the url change ?

#25 of 68 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,568 posts

Posted March 04 2013 - 10:36 PM

Jimmy,

We will still be located at hometheaterforum.com

If you have individual forum areas bookmarked, however, those URL addresses will change.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#26 of 68 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 04:21 AM

Thanks for the heads-up Ron, and best-of-luck with the conversion.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#27 of 68 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,571 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 05 2013 - 12:47 PM

I thought it was happening last weekend. That's because I can't read.

10 days to go!

#28 of 68 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 12:57 PM

I don't care if it takes two days or two weeks. The improvements will be well worth the wait :D

#29 of 68 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted March 05 2013 - 03:43 PM

I'll probably be playing a bit of the rebooted Tomb Raider game. Just got it today.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#30 of 68 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,167 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:30 AM

So you are not only moving but will be using new software?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#31 of 68 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,195 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 06 2013 - 02:31 AM

Yup.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#32 of 68 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,741 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell 

So you are not only moving but will be using new software?

Yes.  We will no longer be using Huddlers hosting or forum software.

#33 of 68 Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,127 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich 

Yes.  We will no longer be using Huddlers hosting or forum software.

I'm thinking that's a good thing. I was never fond of the way things were on this system, and will look forward to a more user-friendly environment.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#34 of 68 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,167 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 06:09 AM

I'm thinking that's a good thing. I was never fond of the way things were on this system, and will look forward to a more user-friendly environment. Harry

Yeah, what he said :)
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#35 of 68 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

• 5,167 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 06:10 AM

I hope it's iPad friendly.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#36 of 68 ChristopherG

ChristopherG

Screenwriter

• 1,483 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lromero1396 

I don't care if it takes two days or two weeks. The improvements will be well worth the wait
Posted Image

Hopefully that is true.  Having watched how smooth the Huddler thing went I will withhold judgement a bit.  So what is the new platform going to be? Oh, and good luck!

It takes 52 pounds of pressure to rupture an eyeball... :blink: 

#37 of 68 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,195 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 06 2013 - 06:46 AM

As one of those who braved the transition to Huddler several years ago--along with many of you posting in this thread--I'll just caution what many of us already realize...that any such change is going to require a transition for all of us:  from "how the forum will be organized" to 'how we navigate the forum."  Speaking personally, I sometimes find these types of transitions to be difficult in terms of upsetting my "workflow" in accomplishing things on the forum.

So I just raise that issue as an opportunity to remind myself and anyone else that we will need to exercise patience when the forum returns after the move.  Things WILL be different.

My expectations, though, are that once we get settled-in, most of us will be quite pleased with the new digs.  Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#38 of 68 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,741 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

As one of those who braved the transition to Huddler several years ago--along with many of you posting in this thread--I'll just caution what many of us already realize...that any such change is going to require a transition for all of us:  from "how the forum will be organized" to 'how we navigate the forum."  Speaking personally, I sometimes find these types of transitions to be difficult in terms of upsetting my "workflow" in accomplishing things on the forum.

So I just raise that issue as an opportunity to remind myself and anyone else that we will need to exercise patience when the forum returns after the move.  Things WILL be different.

My expectations, though, are that once we get settled-in, most of us will be quite pleased with the new digs.  Posted Image

Thanks Mike.

#39 of 68 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,741 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ChristopherG 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lromero1396 

I don't care if it takes two days or two weeks. The improvements will be well worth the wait
Posted Image

Hopefully that is true.  Having watched how smooth the Huddler thing went I will withhold judgement a bit.  So what is the new platform going to be? Oh, and good luck!

We researched a lot of different platforms and versions and have settled on migrating to IP.Board.  We are currently working on the skin and some customizations.  There is a chance not all of them will be ready on launch day, but they will be soon after.  Unlike the earlier transition, this time we get to make the call with what we do to the site.  Our first priority is to get all the posts and images ported over and then hang the curtains.

#40 of 68 DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,501 posts

Posted March 06 2013 - 08:23 AM

"This new forum is horrible. I don't know how to post. I can't find anything. Bring back the old one!" Figured I'd get it out in advance. ;) Looking forward to the move. Onward and upward (or something).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow