• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 04:04 AM

Just got a plasma for my bedroom and would like to add a soundbar to beef things up, any recommendations?
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,253 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 01 2013 - 04:40 AM

Soundbars come in all shapes, sizes, and prices.

It would help if we knew what your budget and viewing tastes were.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 05:28 AM

Well, that's good to know. I honestly don't know much about them, I've just noticed people seem to use them with flat screens in smaller rooms. Like I mentioned this will be for use in my bedroom, unfortunately I don't have the room size handy, but let's say it's 20 x 20. I will be watching movies, tv and playing the occasional video game. This won't be my primary screening room so I don't need very high end sound. I'd just like something of decent quality that will give me a stronger sound than what the tv itself will. As for budget, my max would be $1000. I'd really rather not go that high though, and definitely not higher than that. I apologize for not doing more research beforehand, but I guess I just wanted somewhere to start. Anyway, hope this info helps with any suggestions or recommendations. Thanks! :)
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,929 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 01 2013 - 06:04 AM

I use this... http://www.amazon.co...s=boston tvee25 In a bedroom, and it is more than adequate. Its only downside is the IR sensor has a crappy "side" range. But if you are directly in front of it, fine. Supposedly you can remove the grill and "fix the issue", but for me the only time it is an issue is if It is being listened to while walking about the room. If already standing you are probably close enough to push the volume button on it rather than finding the remote.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 06:14 AM

Cool, thanks for that Schan. The price is decent and the IR issue shouldn't be much of a problem. I'll have to take a closer look at this one. Anyone else have one to recommend?
My HT Setup:

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,253 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted March 01 2013 - 06:41 AM

Samsung HW-E450 - $299.99 (may be found for less at big box retailers) This is a very popular soundbar with most consumers, offering Bluetooth streaming from your smartphone, plus HDMI passthrough as well as optical and analog audio inputs.

There's also the Energy Elite for $599.99, but that may blow you out of the bedroom with its incredibly deep bass.

I've also heard demos of the new Sonos PlayBar ($699.99), which allows you to add their wireless subwoofer ($699.99) and two Play:3's ($299.99 each) for a true wireless 5.1 solution. The entire setup runs $2,000, but you can upgrade piece by piece.

The BA TVee 25 is a nice soundbar, but (to me, at least) it sounds a bit tinny compared to the Samsung. The Samsung also comes with a true remote.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,927 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted March 01 2013 - 07:08 AM

I'll also add one of the Sony models.  This one has multiple HDMI inputs and also includes standby passthrough of HDMI audio (so you can "not turn it on" and just use the TV speakers if you so desire).

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 07:28 AM

Samsung HW-E450http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1 - $299.99 (may be found for less at big box retailers) This is a very popular soundbar with most consumers, offering Bluetooth streaming from your smartphone, plus HDMI passthrough as well as optical and analog audio inputs.

I like this one out of the three, thanks!
My HT Setup:

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 07:28 AM

I'll also add one of the Sony models.  This onehttp://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=hometheaterforum-20&l=ur2&o=1 has multiple HDMI inputs and also includes standby passthrough of HDMI audio (so you can "not turn it on" and just use the TV speakers if you so desire).

This one seems pretty nice, thanks!
My HT Setup:

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,929 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 01 2013 - 08:06 AM

It all comes down to how much "soundbar" you need... The Bedroom the TVee25 resides in has a 42" plasma and a Directv HD box. It is our "guest bedroom". I wanted simple as the most it ever gets used is 2-3 hours 1 or 2 weekends a month. You'd pretty much have to use the TV as the hub for the TVee25. But it also includes an RCA analog and a 1/8th. For people "spending the weekend" it is just simpler to connect their phone with a 1/8th than it is to figure out the bluetooth. Obviously I bought that one for sake of simplicity. If you want a soundbar to "be the hub", buy one capable of that. There is no wrong choice here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users