-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Why are these thrillers not already on blu-ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 03:12 PM

I can't be the only one that brings a power drill when they go to the bar, grabs some random customer and just for fun jerks them back in their seat, pulls open their mouth and fires up the drill close to their ear a couple times, and then asks with a German accent "Is it safe?" I mean I know that can't just be me doing that... So, I think I should just make clear that "parallax" means the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions...I've always felt people were intimidated by this movie because of that word...there now you can enjoy it. No, it's not about the fact that after you eat Chinese food you feel hungry again an hour later. Bob Seger had nothing to do with this film. Starkist offered a lot of money to sponsor this film if they would change the title to Day of the Tuna and feature a trained tuna named Charlie. George C. Scott threatened to walk off the film as he said he had no intention of being a corporate spokesman selling tuna to the masses. On Mike Nichols first day on the set he found Scott had painted "Sorry, Charlie!" in big red letters on his trailer. Yes, Schwarzenegger takes off his clothes in this film and no, he was not asked to do so. In fact he was not even supposed to be in the film but nobody had the guts to ask him to leave. It was Schwarzenegger walking around nude on the set and bothering the other actors that caused Elliott Gould to coin the phrase "It's alright with me." which Altman then asked him to use in the film.
  • Richard--W likes this

#2 of 39 Rob Mac

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator

• 120 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 06:50 AM

That's the dilemma I could never understand. Shows like Friends, Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Simpsons etc. are on television 10 times every day to watch for free, and yet these are the discs people buy and demand, leaving classic films to languish in the vaults. Such is life.
Rob Mac

#3 of 39 Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 07:01 AM

Great list. I'd like to add one more

#4 of 39 Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 07:01 AM

Since those "free" versions of those shows are edited for syndication, I fully understand why fans buy the discs.

#5 of 39 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,128 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted March 02 2013 - 07:28 AM

Yes, great list.  '70s thrillers (give or take) are a very special breed.  I'd buy every one of those.

#6 of 39 Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 04:42 AM

While not a 70's thriller, it's one of my favorites nonetheless and deserves a blu-ray release:

#7 of 39 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted March 03 2013 - 04:46 AM

The Day of the Jackal is another one. I think the 70s was a great decade for thrillers and they are so poorly represented on blu-ray it is sort of ridiculous. Obviously films like these remain a huge influence today and the recent selection of Argo as best picture shows they certainly have an audience. Winter Kills is another one that really should be on blu-ray.

#8 of 39 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,864 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 03 2013 - 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Southpaw 

While not a 70's thriller, it's one of my favorites nonetheless and deserves a blu-ray release:

Great choice! This is a very underrated thriller.

#9 of 39 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 05:32 AM

I would think that somebody...be it Twilight Time or Olive or Criterion...somebody would grab these to release on blu-ray.

#10 of 39 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 627 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 05:35 AM

Plus on the Kurt Russell thriller list you'd have to include The Mean Season. 

#11 of 39 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,785 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 07:32 AM

Great list. I'd like to add one more 3ae6f229_day_of_the_jackal_ver1.jpeg

Fortunately, the DVD is really good. Otherwise the waiting would be unbearable.

#12 of 39 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,504 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 08:03 AM

Excellent list, esp on The Parallax View

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#13 of 39 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,132 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 04 2013 - 10:51 AM

Let's look at this. First, who has rights in the US for these titles:

Paramount (presumably now licensed to Warner)

Marathon Man

The Parallax View

Breakdown

Warner

Night Moves

StudioCanal (presumably licensed to Lionsgate)

The Day of the Dolphin

Sony (presumably eligible to be licensed to Criterion/Image/Mill Creek/Twilight Time)

The China Syndrome

MGM

The Long Goodbye

Universal

The Day of the Jackal

Now let's look at the situations...

Warner/Paramount - The "problem" with Warner is that their catalog is enormous, so for every 2-3 titles they release people can think of 20-30 that are not released. Who really knows how high on their priority lists these four titles are?

StudioCanal - SC has been spotty at best with bringing their titles to the US via their deal with Lionsgate. Considering the numerous more prestigious art house titles in their library yet to get released one would assume that The Day of the Dolphin probably isn't a priority.

Sony - They have been licensing out pretty much all their catalog titles. The China Syndrome seems like an obvious Twilight Time candidate to me.

MGM - They've been licensing more lately, namely to Shout Factory. The Long Goodbye has often been rumored to be licensed to Criterion, however. Only time will tell.

Universal - They've been releasing more, but they seem to be still getting through their "A-list" catalog titles. I don't see The Day of the Jackal as being part of that "A-List" group.

• Reggie W and Richard--W like this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 39 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted April 04 2013 - 07:53 PM

Who is that supposed to be in that PARALLAX VIEW ad? That can't be Warren Beatty. ???

#15 of 39 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yes, it's Beatty, all divvied up.

Brandon hit the nail on the head. Studio disinterest is a culprit. But an all-regions MARATHON MAN will be available from Amazon France on April 24.

#16 of 39 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted April 05 2013 - 04:28 AM

I should also mention that these thrillers need a BLU release also.

Klute - WB

Wait Until Dark - WB

I would also love a blu for The Long Goodbye and I have to mention it because it is a great film to watch as a double feature, The Late Show (Produced by by Robert Altman - Directed by Robert Benton)

Edited by Powell&Pressburger, April 05 2013 - 04:31 AM.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#17 of 39 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 05:48 AM

The thriller I would like most to see on blu-ray, the most timely, relevant and dicey, is Costa-Gavras' STATE OF SEIGE, released in the USA in 1973 to unanimous acclaim.

StateOfSiege.jpg

I would also add POINT BLANK (1967), KLUTE (1971) and THE YAKUZA (1975) to the list of excellent thrillers deserving a blu-ray release.

Conversation-1970-Paramount-one.jpg

HotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg

CharleyVarrick-1973-Universal-one.jpg

SevenUps-1974-Fox-half.jpg

WalkingTall-1973-Paramount-one.jpg

BlackWindmill-1974-CIC-BritishOne.jpg

BlackSunday-1977-half.jpg

#18 of 39 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 05:58 AM

YearOfTheDragon-1985-MGM-one.jpg

#19 of 39 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,463 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 06:02 AM

All impeccable additions, as I expect from Richard--W.

I'd buy just about everything mentioned in this thread so far.

And, add these, all part of what I like to call "sunshine noir":

cutter_and_bone_HP00117_L.jpgmikes_murder_DA00135_L.jpg

american_gigolo_NZ02841_L.jpg

The thriller I would like most to see on blu-ray, the most timely, relevant and dicey, is Costa-Gavras' STATE OF SEIGE, released in the USA in 1973 to unanimous acclaim.

attachicon.gifStateOfSiege.jpg

I would also add POINT BLANK (1967), KLUTE (1971) and THE YAKUZA (1975) to the list of excellent thrillers deserving a blu-ray release.

attachicon.gifConversation-1970-Paramount-one.jpg

attachicon.gifHotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg

attachicon.gifCharleyVarrick-1973-Universal-one.jpg

attachicon.gifSevenUps-1974-Fox-half.jpg

attachicon.gifWalkingTall-1973-Paramount-one.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackWindmill-1974-CIC-BritishOne.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackSunday-1977-half.jpg

#20 of 39 Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter

• 1,463 posts

Posted April 07 2013 - 06:04 AM

All of the WALKING TALL films are already available via Shout Factory!.

attachicon.gifStateOfSiege.jpg

attachicon.gifConversation-1970-Paramount-one.jpg

attachicon.gifHotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg

attachicon.gifCharleyVarrick-1973-Universal-one.jpg

attachicon.gifSevenUps-1974-Fox-half.jpg

attachicon.gifWalkingTall-1973-Paramount-one.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackWindmill-1974-CIC-BritishOne.jpg

attachicon.gifBlackSunday-1977-half.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users