What's new

Need help picking a receiver. Not sure how much power I need, please help! (1 Viewer)

hacktc

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Hey guys, first time poster here. Anyways, I've been recently gifted with a new set of speakers, but I'm not sure on the type of receiver I need to get for them to sound good through. These are what I was given. Spectrum RS-232 I've never heard of them, and haven't been able to find any reviews or anything about them, so I'm not really sure if they are any count. Anyways, the way they wire up seems strange to me. They call it "duo-wave" or something. The directions show the L&R speaker outputs from receiver go into the back of the sub (in seperate inputs), and then 2 output wires go out of the sub to the L&R speakers. The center, and surround L&R speakers wire up normally. I find this strange, and wonder how I am supposed to be able to adjust my sub individually. All the speakers are rated at 200w apeice, and the sub at 500w. All I have right now is an old Kenwood 150w receiver, so I dont think it will work well this these... What kind of receiver should I get? (5.1, 7.1)? Also, what kind of wattage should I be looking for? Also, if you've heard of or know anything about these speakers (or the logic behind their wiring), let me know what ya think, even and especially if its bad news. Thanks guys!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That looks like a relatively in-expensive speaker package patterened to look like a Bose system. Only thing that really concerns me is the 4-8 ohm rating. But it most likely means they are compatible with receivers that can power a 4 or 8 ohm speaker so your Kenwood receiver should be able to power them adequately. But they are an un-known brand so proceed with caution. And don't even think about the power ratings of those speakers. I guarantee they aren't acurate. No way they handle anywhere near 200 watts per channel. But I doubt your Kenwood puts out a true 150 watts per channel either. They all lie to keep up with the Jones'. All you need is a 5.1 receiver that allows you to set the Front speakers to Large, the Center and Surround speakers to Small (and a crossover setting of 120 or 150) and the subwoofer to None or Off in the receivers Speaker Setup menu. Virtually any newer receiver would also work. That passive subwoofer must have an internal crossover which routes the bass to the sub and the higher notes to the speakers. It shows an 80 hz crossover which seems low for speakers that small but.... Many subwoofers in home theater in a boxes and stand-a-lone speaker packages are wired that way. A speaker package with a powered subwoofer with an rca input is much preferred but at least the price was right :) . But again, preceed with caution.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Another white van scam. Are these self powered or what? Speakers don't have "Total system power" unless they are self-powered.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Jim Mcc said:
No. He was "gifted" with the speakers. If something is free, is it still a scam? :D
They were still a scam. I mean, come on, a Bose knock-off? That's like selling a fake Yugo. I was just trying to be nice to a newcomer. He should keep his old Kenwood and dump the speakers. There are decent Infinity, Polk, etc. 5.1 speaker packages on craigslist for about $100 all the time. For example... http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/3637413714.html http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ele/3626703013.html

Real Name
Jason Higgins
You're mistaking "gifted" with "somebody giving you their junk because they're too lazy to throw it out themselves. Those speakers look like crap. The whole package weighs 36 lbs? My center channel alone almost weighs more then a complete 5.1 system with a subwoofer? I can just imagine the quality. I assume the "500" watt subwoofer is not self amplified, like it should be. A true 500 watt amplifier would explode that sub box to pieces. There's no breakdown of the specs for each individual speaker on how many drivers and what size they are... They called it "RS-232"? Which is a type of serial computer cable... How are speakers high definition? How is it 4-8 ohms? It's one or the other. Not just an option. Do they not know the resistance of their own speakers? Very bland and basic webpage. No phone number. No better pictures to really show what you're getting screwed on. I can't imagine these being sold anywhere but from a white van. The white van guys say, "they're real and worth almost two grand! Look up the website on your phone!" On another note, if you want a good, affordable receiver. Try looking at local classifieds for Yamaha RX-A or RX-V series receivers. Try to only get one with HDMI inputs that can support HDMI 1.4.

hacktc

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Hey guys, I appreciate the help. I had my doubts when I saw the list price on the box claiming $1799, lol. I was given these by my boss as an "attaboy" for good sales, lol. I'm really curious now as to the full story of how he came to have them, but I'm sure its probably a sore subject to bring up. I'll take yalls advice and just stick with my Kenwoods. It's not like I was really in the market for a new surround sound, but if those had been legit I would have been happy to upgrade my system. Thanks again for all the help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Those boxes make a great bonfire. Really loose cardboard, lets tons of air in. I check Ebay and CL for "white van scam" crap all the time. I once bought one for $50(Epiphany.... :rolleyes: ) just so I could throw logs on it and make the fire easy to set. I've been tempted to create a "White Van Scam" brand myself... Alumer BaneFyre

hacktc

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I have a feeling these will end up at a white elephant gift exchange, or maybe a door prize for the next party I throw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks