• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 moke

moke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 27 2013 - 02:33 PM

I have a Samsung LED TV (UN55EH6000F). It is being fed by a Dish receiver, which runs into HDMI 1 of my Yamaha tuner (RX-V373BL). This works well. However, sometimes my wife wants to just turn on the TV and watch using the sound of the TV speakers without messing with the tuner. Unfortunately, there is no sound in this configuration (at least, I’m not getting any). I would appreciate any help you can give me in working through the problem.

#2 of 6 gartronics

gartronics

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 07:38 PM

I would try changing the way it is hooked up so that the dish hdmi runs to the tv directly. Then use an optical out from the tv to the receiver's optical in. The current way it is hooked up I think the receiver is intercepting the audio and decoding it and not passing it to the tv. If you hook it up the new way the tv should decode it through its speakers for your wife, and still send the digital signal to the receiver. You just have to make sure when you use the receiver that the tv volume is all the way down or you may get an echo due to decode lag time.

#3 of 6 moke

moke

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 02:29 AM

Thanks. That makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

#4 of 6 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 12,021 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 01 2013 - 04:05 AM

If you had bought the V473, you'd have HDMI standby pass-through. Have you had the 373 more than 14 days(if bought B&M) or 30 days? If bought at "somewhere other than Best Buy/Fry" they might let you exchange it for up to 6 months.

#5 of 6 Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 10:30 AM

I have to point out that connecting the Dish to the TV and then bringing optical to the receiver will lose your surround sound. The best you'll get is all channel stereo or ProLogic surround. Your best bet is an HDMI standby pass-through like Sam mentioned. Barring that, if the Dish also has a component and optical connection you could try running that to the TV. Some boxs won't output both, some will, and some will only out analog is the digital doesn't have a live connection on the other end. In any case, it's worth a shot.

#6 of 6 gartronics

gartronics

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted March 02 2013 - 06:51 PM

you could also use this:http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2 Then you could run the dish HDMI output to the splitter and one hdmi to the receiver and the other to the tv.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users