What's new

Looking for a good Indoor HD Digital Antenna (2 Viewers)

markw10

Auditioning
Real Name
MarkW
I have two TV's, one Standard Def and one Hi-Def and since I just got rid of satellite will be using OTA programming. Does anyone have any good suggestions for antennas? I've looked at Terk and their HDTVA and HDTVI look nice. I want something that I can hang on a wall or lay somewhere that won't take up a lot of space and for that reason I like the Terk FDTV2, FDTV2A, and FDTV1A. I also like the size of the Solid Signal HD-Blade. I should add that I'm looking for an internal antenna. Any opinions of the above or any suggestions? Thank you for your help.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't have specific indoor recommendations (other than to ignore the occaisional shill you may find on HTF), I just have an oldschool RadioShack antenna sitting on top of my roof. But your first step is to visit http://www.antennaweb.org/ and make sure you know the type of antenna you'll need.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I know this is not the style you had in mind, but they are fabulous... Winegard SS-3000 $50 on Amazon(last I checked). Your local hardware store(big box) might even have one.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An antenna's function is directly related to it looking like an antenna. Most of the Terk models I looked at when I went OTA back in 2002 were stealth models. They are the Bose of the antenna world. All hype and looks without the function. Follow Al's advice and find the antenna size/type the you need from Antennaweb. From there, we can help you pick the right one. Who knows, you may be in the same situation as I am - I'm in one of a handful of markets where a station broadcasts their digital signal in the VHF range. Finally, there is no such thing as an HD antenna nor a digital antenna. There's an antenna that picks up RF signals in a specific frequency range used by television stations. Those signals happen to carry digital information that can be converted to a high definition video stream.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Or, if you want to have fun with flags...er antenna... http://makeprojects.com/Project/Homemade+Yagi+Antenna/623/1#.US6UAlftbqs (one of dozens of sites)

markw10

Auditioning
Real Name
MarkW
Thank you for all the above advice. I took a suggestion and headed over to Antennaweb.org and did a search on my local address. I am getting the following results: Yellow Band: RF Channels 13, 29, 21, 38, and 43 Green Band: RF Channels 45 and 11 Light Green Band: RF Channel 6 Red Band: RF Channels 35, 32, 7, 18, 15, 19, 9, and 34 Blue Band: RF Channels 44, 48, 51, 36, 45, and 16 Violet Band: RF Channels 28, 25, 40, 26 I realize TV has changed a lot since I last watched OTA. I was used to the standard VHF Channels and some UHF Channels and it seems many have gone to UHF now. Also for example our local CBS station is Channel 4 and now with the subchannels it's channel 4.1 but yet it's RF Channel 35. Am I correct that it's actually broadcasting on the frequency that would be channel 35 but yet the TV finds it's on 4.1. As I said a lot has changed but does the above information help? It appears that most of the channels are UHF but yet quite a few are still VHF and some are channels that I'd watch a lot so I would need both VHF and UHF. I know some of the bands such as violet are far away stations that although they would be nice to receive I can do without them. Most of the stations where i live in Denver seem to be on the west and I believe they are on some of the nearby mountains. I will look at the Winegard antenna that was mentioned. I hope to avoid a rooftop antenna since it's just a lot more trouble to install. I'd like to also avoid one in the attic. Small and good looks would be nice but I can do without that. I just want something that can be near my TV and give me a good signal. Thanks.

markw10

Auditioning
Real Name
MarkW
I guess I should have listed the stations that are most important are: KDVR 32 KCNC 35 KMGH 7 KUSA 9 KBDI 13 KPXC 43 KTVD 19 KRMA 18 KWGN 34 KFCT 22.1 KDEN 29

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks