What's new

Need some help building component boxes for home audio (1 Viewer)

maxsound7

Grip
Real Name
mike
I would like to build simple but good boxes for the speakers below, have a shop and the tools just need some knowledge and advice. Please let me know what size and interior clear cu.ft would be ideal. Also, if any fibre fill/insulation, interior bracing, sizing and material (ie. 3/4" mdf) etc. should be used. If you have any reference pics or links to similar builds that would be very helpful as well. Image Dynamics 6.5" CXS 64 component set. I will be mounting the tweeters at the center of the mid as recommended by the manufacturer in the product document. How do I handle crossovers? these were car audio speakers so do I just install the same crossovers provided or can my NAD t775HD handle crossovers? I dont know much about crossovers or how to build new ones. Specifications as follows: Speaker Size 6-1/2" Design 2-way Component System Tweeter Design Dome Tweeter Composition Silk Woofer Composition Carbon Fiber Woofer Surround Nitrile Butadiene Rubber (NBR) Peak Power Handling 250 watts RMS Power Handling 125 watts Sensitivity 90 dB Frequency Response 55 - 25,000 Hz Impedance (Per Voice Coil) 4 ohms Shallow Mount Installation No Top-Mount Depth 3" Bottom-Mount Depth 3-1/8" Cutout Dimensions 5-5/8" x 5-5/8" The total system will be 2.1: My receiver/amplifier is a NAD t775HD. The subwoofer box I am building is here near the end of this thread:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/326415/help-with-final-speaker-selection#post_4029506 its 50% complete. [ATTACHMENT=474]CXS64V2 TS.pdf (17k. pdf file)[/ATTACHMENT] [ATTACHMENT=475]ID1.png (25k. png file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please let me know what size and interior clear cu.ft would be ideal.
Without the Theile/Small parameters of the woofer we can't give you any idea what size box to build.
Also, if any fibre fill/insulation, interior bracing, sizing and material (ie. 3/4" mdf) etc. should be used.
I always use some type of fill to keep rear reflections to a minimum. Bracing depends on material used and cabinet size. Material is usually 3/4" MDF. Use this one as an idea on width and depth. Height can be adjusted. I would go sealed instead of ported. http://stories.parts-express.com/stories/2444-en_us/category/Speaker/story/16516/redirect.htm
Image Dynamics 6.5" CXS 64 component set. I will be mounting the tweeters at the center of the mid as recommended by the manufacturer in the product document.
OK. You are making coaxials. That's actually better than most home speakers where there are different sources of sound.
How do I handle crossovers? these were car audio speakers so do I just install the same crossovers provided or can my NAD t775HD handle crossovers? I dont know much about crossovers or how to build new ones.
Since you can't build new ones and your receiver is no help in the crossover department, then you have to use the ones provided.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Even if your AVR has crossover, it is only for low bass(200hz and under)... No matter what, you need the crossover. I'm with Robert on making a sealed box. A good starting point would be to just make a perfectly square box. Design Acoustics PS series got away with that for 15 years. If you decide a square box allows to much volume and the woofer flounders...if you have a bandsaw, it would be no problem re-cutting the box more shallow. But, considering the speakers were for a car...they probably don't need much box pressure(as car speakers are technically infinite baffle).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks