What's new

Home theater into a computer monitor? (1 Viewer)

Cheetashock

Auditioning
Real Name
Duncan
I have two computer monitors:
[*] 19 inch Main Monitor with DVI and VGA inputs
[*] 16 inch Secondary Monitor with VGA, RF, and Composite inputs
[/list] What I might want to hook up to the main monitor:
[*] PC (With 1 DVI and 1 VGA output)
[*] PS2
[*] XBox (Original)
[*] iPod Touch (I have a composite cable)
[*] Gamecube
[*] Maybe some HDMI devices in the future but I currently have none.
[*] Maybe cable TV (only if easy/cheap)
[/list] I only want to hook up my PC to my secondary monitor. I also have a component/composite switch if necessary.. . I would have all the audio go out to headphones or some speakers (I currently don't have any good speakers). Basically I am asking for help on how everything would hook up, or what I would have to purchase. If you have any questions, just ask.

Cheetashock

Auditioning
Real Name
Duncan
schan1269 said:
A real AVR with HDMI upconversion. Those are as low as $250 at the moment. Pioneer 1022 and Onkyo NR515.
Is there a component to VGA converter box of some sort, or is that impossible?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes those... Cables Adapters Converters Exist. Cables only work if the "source" and monitor are the same resolution. An adapter is just something you stick on the cable. A converter(powered that you plug in the wall) takes the component signal and changes it to VGA. And it is extremely rare that a cable/adapter works. You'll most likely need a converter. And good luck searching Amazon/Ebay/NewEgg for a converter as you have to weed throught the "idiot sellers" that don't understand the difference. Add to that VGA>Component is much more common than Component>VGA...and before you ask, no...they don't work "both directions".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks