Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Mad Max Trilogy (Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,569 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 01:35 AM

THE MAD MAX TRILOGY

BLU-RAY™ COLLECTION DEBUTS JUNE 4

FROM WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Mel Gibson Stars in the Franchise that Made Him a Star

Burbank, Calif. February 25, 2013 – Mad Max, the sci-fi franchise that introduced Mel Gibson to the world, will come together for the first time as a Blu-ray collection when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) debuts the Mad Max Trilogy on June 4th.

The three films – Mad Max (1979), Mad Max Road Warrior (1982) and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985) – are all set in the near-future in Australia. From the very first film, Oscar® winner George Miller (Happy Feet, 2006) proved a master at creating the gritty, bleak dystopian world and staging the incredible car stunts and crashes in the era when stuntmen, not computers, achieved the effects. All three movies starred Mel Gibson, virtually unknown until after the second film, as Max Rockatansky, a highway cop traveling through the Outback in a society descending into chaos. The films started Gibson on his road to international superstardom, led to his signature Lethal Weapon series, and later two Academy Awards® for his roles as producer and director of Braveheart (1995).

This must-own collection for action fans is available in limited premium tin packaging and makes a perfect gift for Father’s Day. The collection will sell for $49.99 SRP on Blu-ray Disc™. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, which is making its Blu-ray debut, will also be available as a single along with Mad Max Road Warrior. Order due date for all is April 30th.

About The Films

Mad Max (1979)

George Miller's first entry in the trilogy, Mad Max packs brutal action and insane stunts as it follows the inevitable downfall of relentless cop Max Rockatansky (Gibson) in a world gone mad. Living on the edge of an apocalypse, Max is ready to run far away from it all with his family. But when he experiences an unfortunate encounter with a motorcycle gang and its menacing leader, the Toecutter, his retreat from the madness of the world is now a race to save his family's life.

Mad Max Road Warrior (1982)

The sequel to Mad Max, Mad Max Road Warrior provides action-packed, “automotive” entertainment, telling the story of a selfish-turned-selfless hero and his efforts to protect a small camp of desert survivors and defend an oil refinery under siege from a ferocious marauding horde that plunders the land for gasoline.

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (1985)

Mel Gibson returns for his third go-round as the title hero who takes on the barbarians of the post-nuclear future - and this time becomes the savior of a tribe of lost children. Music superstar Tina Turner co-stars as Aunty Entity, a power-mad dominatrix determined to use Max to tighten her stranglehold on Bartertown, where fresh water, clean food and gasoline are worth more than gold.

THE MAD MAX TRILOGY

ON BLU-RAY

Street Date: June 4, 2013

Order Due Date: April 30, 2013

Catalog/UPC #: 1000334058 / 883929266661

Pricing: $49.99 SRP

Mad Max Run Time: 94 minutes; Rated R

The Road Warrior Run Time: 91 minutes; Rated R

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome Run Time: 107 minutes; Rated PG-13

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

Academy Awards® and Oscar® are both registered trademarks and service marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Inc.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution, interactive entertainment, technical operations and anti-piracy businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,569 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 01:38 AM

Definitely in for this, but will wait for a sale.  I wouldn't pay more than $30
for this set given the amount of times I have repurchased some of these films.

Will wait to see what Amazon sells it for.

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 8 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,593 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted February 25 2013 - 05:16 AM

Of course I just picked up the current blus of Mad Max and the Road Warrior for $10 each. I've not watched them yet, if these prove to be actual new, improved masters I might bite on the set.

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#4 of 8 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,026 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted February 25 2013 - 07:24 AM

So, did Warner license Mad Max from MGM, or did they somehow obtain the rights outright?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#5 of 8 HDvision

HDvision

Supporting Actor

• 921 posts
  • LocationPandora

Posted February 26 2013 - 08:02 PM

I hope Mad Max is remastered, the picture on the Blu-ray looks like there's a grey veil on it.
Also Mad Max 2 is missing a bit of dialogue and the color timing needs to be redone because it's off in many scenes (the desert should be near red/orange, not drab and yellow)

#6 of 8 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,751 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 26 2013 - 10:59 PM

So, did Warner license Mad Max from MGM, or did they somehow obtain the rights outright?

I've always thought of MAD MAX as a Warner Bros film. I think it was only in the US where it wasn't originally distributed by them.

#7 of 8 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,569 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 11:08 PM

Now available for preorder.  Pretty decent price of $35 for the set

Ronald J Epstein

#8 of 8 darkrock17

darkrock17

Supporting Actor

• 710 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted February 27 2013 - 04:46 AM

I've always thought of MAD MAX as a Warner Bros film. I think it was only in the US where it wasn't originally distributed by them.

American International Pictures (AIP) originally released Mad Max in 1979. AIP was later on bought by Filmways and Filmways was bought by MGM, so MGM owns the 1979 Mad Max. WB, probably made some negotiation with MGM and Fox to obtain Mad Max for this release as the MGM logo is probably on the back cover of this set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users