-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Splitting Digital Coax Audio, please help.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:39 PM

I have scoured the internet, for what I thought would be an easy fix. I give up, and I'm finally willing to sacrifice the instant gratification of cooking something up tonight in exchange for a clear, precise answer on what it is that I actually need. My 50" LCD TV only has but one awkward external audio output-- digital coax. I want to hook up a pair of wireless headphones (1/8" phono) and also connect my surround sound system that has an optical audio in. I am already aware that I will need a digital coax to optical adapter, a digital coax to Analog RCA adapter, and a RCA to 1/8" adapter, but how can I effectively split the digital coax? I can't seem to find a splitter specifically for digital coax on the web, and I know that digital coax shouldn't be split using any kind of passive RCA splitter. So, if anyone knows where I can find one, or has a safe, workable solution, please let me know.

#2 of 8 Mr645

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts
  • LocationBoca Raton, Florida

Posted February 24 2013 - 11:32 PM

Is there a headphone jack on the receiver?

#3 of 8 jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 11:58 PM

No, it doesn't. It's one of those DVD player/surround sound box systems.

#4 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,364 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 25 2013 - 12:42 AM

http://www.amazon.co...oslink splitter http://www.amazon.co...l coax splitter I guess neither of those exist.

#5 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,364 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 12:50 AM

And, by the way... digital coax=composite video=shielded subwoofer. Those three cables are exactly the same thing. http://www.amazon.co... video splitter http://www.amazon.co...woofer splitter

#6 of 8 jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 03:42 AM

I guess neither of those exist.

...really? Sarcasm? Not cool, man.

And, by the way... digital coax=composite video=shielded subwoofer. Those three cables are exactly the same thing.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

#7 of 8 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,364 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 04:46 AM

Just be glad you got the sarcasm without snark... Ha. Since you can buy the dig coax splitter as a male to two female for under $2, buy that. Two composite video cables of "about .5 meter" should be around $1 a piece(cause composite tend to cost less than "digital coax" or "shielded subwoofer"). Then your dig coax>toslink adapter/converter should be $5-$10(depends how "cheap" you want to get). You "might" be able to find a headphone amp with a digital connection. Mini-toslink to headphones was popular with gamers 15 years ago and those headphone amps are still made...

#8 of 8 jimintheb0x

jimintheb0x

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted February 25 2013 - 08:05 AM

Haha, ok. Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already have the adapter-converters for digi coax to toslink and digi coax to RCA, and then of course RCA to 1/8" (the wireless headphones powered). That adapter you showed me was the last piece of the puzzle ;) thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users