Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Cleopatra 50th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) (Limited Edition Blu-ray)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,978 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 03:27 AM

AFTER 50 YEARS, CLEOPATRA RULES AGAIN: ON BLU-RAY MAY 21

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton Sizzle on Screen in this Hallowed Classic
Arriving on Blu-ray for the First time

50th Anniversary Collection Features Never-Before-Seen Missing Footage!

LOS ANGELES, CA (March 1, 2013) – Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment is proud to announce that the four-time Academy Award® winning* classic CLEOPATRA, will be released on Blu-ray Disc for the first time May 21 in a special golden anniversary edition and is available for pre-order at major retailers.

In honor of the iconic film’s 50th anniversary, the 243-minute premiere version of CLEOPATRAhas been meticulously restored and presented on Blu-ray for a stunning high definition in-home viewing experience. Artfully packaged with a full-color book featuring rare images from the making of the film, the 2-disc Blu-ray edition is packed with dazzling bonus materials featuring never-before-seen exclusive content including Cleopatra’s lost footage, commentary from Chris Mankiewicz, Tom Mankiewicz, Martin Landau and Jack Brodsky, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and more. Additionally, fans can watch footage from the film’s original theatrical premieres in both New York and Los Angeles.

To kick-off a global celebration commemorating the film and its special edition Blu-ray release, Richard Burton will receive a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today, Friday, March 1. Burton’s star will be placed next to Dame Elizabeth Taylor’s, honoring one of the most famous theatrical relationships and greatest love stories in history. The campaign for Burton’s star was spearheaded by the Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama to celebrate the actor’s heritage.

Directed by Academy Award winner Joseph L. Mankiewicz, the historical epic shot on 70mm film was the highest grossing film of 1963, bringing in more than $24 million in its initial release. The film cost an unprecedented $42 million to make (equivalent to over $300 million today) and nearly bankrupted Twentieth Century Fox. In addition to elaborate sets and costumes, production delays and the relocation of principal filming from London to Rome added to the skyrocketing budget. A very public love affair between Taylor and Burton that blossomed during the three-year production meant that there was as much romance and intrigue off-screen as on-screen. The film later won four Academy Awards, and was nominated for five more, including Best Picture.*

The opulence and grandeur of this epic spectacle has never been more glorious, as it comes to Blu-ray for the very first time. This 2-Disc 50th Anniversary Edition includes a collectible book that provides a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the making of this legendary film.

Elizabeth Taylor stars as Cleopatra, the glamorous and cunning queen of Egypt. To secure her hold on power, she seduces the rulers of Rome, only to meet her match in Mark Antony, played by Richard Burton. Their passionate romance could decide the fate of the world’s greatest empires.

CLEOPATRA Blu-ray Features:

Disc 1
  Cleopatra Through The Ages: A Cultural History
  Cleopatra’s Missing Footage
  Fox Movie Channel presents Fox Legacy with Tom Rothman
  Commentary with Chris Mankiewicz, Tom Mankiewicz, Martin Landau and Jack Brodsky
  The Cleopatra Papers: A Private Correspondence

Disc 2
  Cleopatra: The Film That Changed Hollywood
  The Fourth Star of Cleopatra
  Fox Movietone News
    Archival Footage of the New York Premiere
    Archival Footage of the Hollywood Premiere
  Commentary with Chris Mankieqicz, Tom Mankiewicz, Martin Landau and Jack Brodsky
  Theatrical Trailers

* Best Art Direction (won); Best Cinematography (won); Best Costume Design (won); Best Visual Effects (won); Best Picture (nominated); Best Actor (Rex Harrison) (nominated); Best Film Editing (nominated); Best Original Score (nominated); Best Sound Mixing (nominated)

ABOUT TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX HOME ENTERTAINMENT
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, LLC (TCFHE) is a recognized global industry leader and a subsidiary of Twentieth Century Fox Film, a News Corporation company. Representing over 75 years of innovative and award-winning filmmaking from Twentieth Century Fox, TCFHE is the worldwide marketing, sales and distribution company for all Fox film and television programming, acquisitions and original productions as well as all third party distribution partners on DVD, Blu-ray™, Digital Copy, Digital HD™, and VOD (video-on-demand). Each year TCFHE introduces hundreds of new and newly enhanced products, which it services to retail outlets from mass merchants and warehouse clubs to specialty stores and e-commerce throughout the world.

CLEOPATRA BLU-RAY: (Catalog # 2277459)
Screen Format: 16:9
Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD-MA
  French 5.1 DTS
  Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital
  Castilian 5.1 DTS
  Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish, Castilian, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, Hebrew, Icelandic and Mandarin
U.S. Rating: PG
Total Run Time 561 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 34 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,340 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 09:28 AM

I went ahead and pre-ordered the digibook because the price suddenly dropped down to $18.99 this morning. I just hope the transfer is better than we've heard about overseas copies (mostly complaints about the color). Maybe...just maybe...Fox took so long to get it to the U.S. because they were busy preparing a color-corrected version for domestic release?? We can only hope. By the way, does anyone know the release date? Amazon doesn't say.

#3 of 34 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,021 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 24 2013 - 12:44 PM

Is the digibook the only difference between the two releases?
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 34 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,184 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 04:17 PM

Is the digibook the only difference between the two releases?

Probably, but there hasn't been a press release yet. I'm sure I sound like a broken record by this point, I'd love it included the few deleted scenes that have turned up (our first glimpse of Cleopatra divining the future, Cleopatra in her camp, and the trims from the Entry Into Rome sequence), as well the Pinewood footage and screen/costume tests. I don't know why Fox is sitting on this material... Maybe they're saving it for a re-release when the Cleopatra film based on the Stacy Schiff biography is released, with Angelina Jolie rumoured to play the title role.

#5 of 34 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted February 25 2013 - 06:32 AM

Interested to hear what the specs are - already have the UK version so will probably wait for some reviews to see if there's a difference.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#6 of 34 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,080 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted February 25 2013 - 06:55 AM

This is up for pre-order with still no hint of release date?  (Sorry if I missed anything about that.)

#7 of 34 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,978 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 11:11 PM

Quote:
This is up for pre-order with still no hint of release date?

Yeah, that's normal Amazon practice.  Many releases appear on the website 

weeks prior to an actual press release, which we have not received yet.  

Ronald J Epstein

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#8 of 34 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,184 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 05:07 PM

This article says the Blu-ray will be released May 7th. Bonus features are identical to the UK/Europe/Asia releases. http://www.wearemovi...f-fame-march-1/

#9 of 34 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,654 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 28 2013 - 05:14 PM

I actually sprung for the Digibook on this one.

#10 of 34 OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,539 posts

Posted February 28 2013 - 09:07 PM

This article says the Blu-ray will be released May 7th. Bonus features are identical to the UK/Europe/Asia releases. http://www.wearemovi...f-fame-march-1/

Not a good sign, I fear that everything including the cold anemic colors and the exaggerated sharpening will be the same. One can always hope I guess...

#11 of 34 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,978 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 04:46 AM

Updated with official press release

Ronald J Epstein

#12 of 34 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,176 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 01 2013 - 05:24 AM

Total Run Time 561 minutes? Must include all the extras on the discs.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#13 of 34 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,558 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 01 2013 - 05:45 AM

Total Run Time 561 minutes? Must include all the extras on the discs.

Your right for in the body of the announcement it says its the 243 minute Premire version
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#14 of 34 battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 674 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted March 01 2013 - 11:54 AM

"includes Lost footage"

Are these the deleted scenes?

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#15 of 34 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 01:47 PM

Theres a doc that was on the UK BD that talks about the lost footage and how they tried to find it, and there are moments of clips in the long documentary as well, but really nothing major. Perhaps some collector somewhere has the missing material but aside from that miracle I doubt we'll ever see it all. Of all the films with missing material, this is the one I most pray for a Metropolis type miracle for. The extra 90 minutes-2 hours would elevate this to a really great film, instead of what it is now, a film with some wonderful scenes, dialogue and performance that has many logical holes and gaps. I would bet that the 6 hour version would feel shorter to watch than the 4...

#16 of 34 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,184 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 01:59 PM

As I've said in other "Cleopatra" threads, some scenes have turned up: - The original first glimpse of Cleopatra, veiled and divining the future - Cleopatra in her camp - Trims from the Entrance into Rome The latter two are shown briefly in the 2hr documentary. The film is never going to be restored (although there are rumours of a 6 hour black and white work print in the hands of a collector), so I don't understand why Fox is just sitting on this material and not including it like Sony did with the balcony scene from "Lawrence". If anyone wants a comprehensive look at the deleted scenes, check out my friend's site: http://taylortribute... Main Page.html

#17 of 34 WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 894 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 02:00 PM

Yeah, there's nothing new here that's not on the UK release. Unless the picture has been improved or they fixed the intermission, both of which I doubt.

#18 of 34 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,134 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 04:48 PM

and not everyone hates the color and feels the intermission is a problem...

#19 of 34 Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,184 posts

Posted March 01 2013 - 07:45 PM

To be honest, I don't have a big problem with the colours either. I do think it looks cool and golds are more on the silver side, but I think it's one of the most beautiful Blu-rays in my collection. I've loved this film since I was a kid and owned the VHS and 5 Star Collection DVD. The Blu-ray is a revelation in comparison. Here's RAH's "A few words about... Cleopatra": http://www.hometheat...a-uk-in-blu-ray

#20 of 34 Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,778 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted March 01 2013 - 08:39 PM

I don't have a problem with the colour either, although admittedly I don't remember exactly what it looked like originally but placing the Entr'acte at the end of Part 1 is definitely wrong and an incorrect representation of the original showing of the film. The Entr'acte for roadshow presentations always led seamlessly into the beginning of Part 2 of the film. In having to switch discs to play Part 2, the Blu-ray makes it impossible to view the film as it was heard and seen theatrically. Of course that may not matter to some but for those who saw these films in their original presentations it's an annoyance which could so easily have been done right - if only the people doing the mastering had more knowledge about roadshows. I will also hazard a prediction that Fox will not have made any changes from the version previously released in Europe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users