What's new

Gotta see the onscreen menu for my new Yahama AVR, but TV has no HDMI inputs. (1 Viewer)

InTX

Auditioning
Real Name
A.W.
Thanks for creating this forum! My 13 year-old Sony STR-DE545 has been having speaker output channels cut in and out for a while, and I decided to replace it. The new Yamaha I bought, however, has an onscreen menu -- and the only output for that is an HDMI. My TV (also 13 years old, a big black boxy behemoth) only has RCA inputs and an S-video input. I'm currently using an S-Video switcher to bounce back and forth from my DVD player and my PS3. I need to be able to access my receiver's menu so I can optimize speakers and all that jazz. Could do it with the remote on the old Sony. Not with this. So, could I buy this: http://www.frys.com/product/7510236#detailed , send the signal to the switcher, and see/interact with the menu on my TV? I really don't need to be buying a new TV RIGHT NOW, but I know I will eventually. Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way!

InTX

Auditioning
Real Name
A.W.
schan1269 said:
I'll ask the obvious question... Does this TV not have DVI? Is it even a 1080capable TV?
It does not DVI, and it is not 1080 capable. I know I've got to upgrade the tv eventually. But, for now, I just want a workaround. If that HDMI/video converter will let me see the image so I can use the receiver's menu, that's really all I want/need for now.

InTX

Auditioning
Real Name
A.W.
Ok, that did the trick. My picture's passable, and I'm able to use the onscreen menu for my receiver. About a fifty buck solution instead of having to replace the TV. Thank you for your time!

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
Hope the TV continues to last. But when it is time to upgrade, you will enjoy and appreciate the performance of today's devices. Welcome to the forums

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks