-

Photo
- - - - -

Gotta see the onscreen menu for my new Yahama AVR, but TV has no HDMI inputs.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 InTX

InTX

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 23 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for creating this forum! My 13 year-old Sony STR-DE545 has been having speaker output channels cut in and out for a while, and I decided to replace it. The new Yamaha I bought, however, has an onscreen menu -- and the only output for that is an HDMI. My TV (also 13 years old, a big black boxy behemoth) only has RCA inputs and an S-video input. I'm currently using an S-Video switcher to bounce back and forth from my DVD player and my PS3. I need to be able to access my receiver's menu so I can optimize speakers and all that jazz. Could do it with the remote on the old Sony. Not with this. So, could I buy this: http://www.frys.com/...510236#detailed , send the signal to the switcher, and see/interact with the menu on my TV? I really don't need to be buying a new TV RIGHT NOW, but I know I will eventually. Thanks in advance for any help that comes my way!

#2 of 5 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,566 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted February 24 2013 - 03:37 AM

I'll ask the obvious question... Does this TV not have DVI? Is it even a 1080capable TV?

#3 of 5 InTX

InTX

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 05:52 AM

I'll ask the obvious question... Does this TV not have DVI? Is it even a 1080capable TV?

It does not DVI, and it is not 1080 capable. I know I've got to upgrade the tv eventually. But, for now, I just want a workaround. If that HDMI/video converter will let me see the image so I can use the receiver's menu, that's really all I want/need for now.

#4 of 5 InTX

InTX

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted February 24 2013 - 10:39 AM

Ok, that did the trick. My picture's passable, and I'm able to use the onscreen menu for my receiver. About a fifty buck solution instead of having to replace the TV. Thank you for your time!

#5 of 5 mpompey

mpompey

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:30 AM

Hope the TV continues to last. But when it is time to upgrade, you will enjoy and appreciate the performance of today's devices. Welcome to the forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users