Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ALL THINGS 'GODZILLA' ON DVD AND BLU-RAY!!!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 of 177 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 06:22 AM

Classic Media was purchased by Dreamworks Animation a couple years ago (IE: not long after Criterion did their release of Godzilla) so that may be why their licenses appear to be in limbo at the moment.

#162 of 177 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted July 22 2014 - 01:25 PM

I've had the opportunity now to view one of the Blu-ray double features. The audio for the Japanese tracks were a nice upgrade from the DVDs. But there was not much question that the provided English subtitles were derived from the dubbed English track. And that was a dissapointment.

As for the video: My DVDs of these films (1992 Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah / Godzilla vs. Mothra) were just P&S so there was no comparison. BTW, I thought the SFX work for these two films looked outstanding on the Blu's. So, IMO, they're rendered at just the right resolution. (Better detail, and the special effects probably wouldn't have looked as good.)

Which one did you look at? Not sure about others, but on Destoroyah the subtitles do seem to be a different translation from the dub (I don't understand Japanese, so I'm not sure how accurate it is). However, on the English dub, the dialogue seems to be mixed significantly lower than the music and FX, to the point of being drowned out at spots. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my system perhaps?

On King Ghidorah and Mothra, the credits aren't there, but on Mothra, the black continues for another two minutes after the picture fades out before going back to the menu. They could have at least kept the music going, since Ifukube's end title is so haunting. Weird decision.

Seems to be a mix of good and odd decisions with these releases.

• sleroi likes this
"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#163 of 177 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted July 22 2014 - 01:44 PM

It looks like the OOP Echo Bridge Blu-ray release of Godzilla vs. Biollante (1989) is getting re-released by Lionsgate on 10/7/14 (as part of the previously licensed Miramax > Echo Bridge titles now going to Lionsgate).

http://www.amazon.co...ASIN/B00LVZK1LG

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#164 of 177 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:25 PM

So am I just smoking crack or does Amazon not have the non-3D version of Godzilla listed? I only see the DVD and the 3D versions - but no bog standard Blu.

#165 of 177 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 10:30 PM

Shameless promotion so I can get a entry to win a set of DVDs. :)

Oh, as so not to be completely self serving, check out this trailer for the new Godzilla game coming for the PS3:

The narrator:

Can humanity control Godzilla? After six decades, Godzilla makes landfall, destroying all in its path. Godzilla invades to seek energy. As the devastation expands for humanity, the disaster level mounts. Humanity's counteroffensive intensifies — Mecha Godzilla MFS-3 launches. Then, the greatest rivals appear before Godzilla. The King of Monsters attacks.

This winter, the greatest battle in Godzilla's history begins on the PlayStation 3.

Godzilla for the PlayStation 3 makes landfall on December 18, 2014. The first copies of the game will include an early unlock code for the Hollywood Godzilla (2014) as a bonus extra. Pre-orders will include one of three randomly distributed "Heat Up Godzilla" reproductions of theater bonus figurines.

#166 of 177 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts

Posted September 04 2014 - 01:53 PM

1962_king_kong_vs_godzilla_1.jpg

They should make that into a movie!

I was able to secure a recent bluray disc pressing of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968) distributed by Tokyo Shock which I will use for viewing and save the withdrawn (or outlawed) first edition (which is unopened) as a collector's item (which is what it now become).

The following (modest) Godzilla Snickers tv commercial isn't as awesome as Tony's Playstation ad but it is still Godzilla nonetheless:

https://www.youtube....h?v=0bpwmiuwjLo

Jeff T.

:D

#167 of 177 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted September 11 2014 - 08:26 PM

Picked up G2K yesterday (the other two will have to wait until next week) and quickly compared it to my old DVD, in terms of extras. The commentary appears to be the same, along with the Behind the Scenes footage. We lose some text bio stuff - fine, since it was pretty naff Wikipedia text anyway and the trailers, also fine since we got Anaconda, Godzilla In Name Only and the american G2K trailer. We do, however gain the original Japanese trailer.

Of all the extras we lost, the american G2k Trailer makes me the saddest. It was kind of cool to compare and contrast the two marketing schemes. Although it was sporting some kind of Rob Zombie soundtrack, so I could see why it had to go. Marketing budget wouldn't allow for it, I bet.

Haven't watched the Japanese version yet - I'll save that for October and the Halloween Marathon.

#168 of 177 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 638 posts

Posted November 13 2014 - 09:04 AM

I have GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER, with the original AIP English dub (complete with "Save the Earth") on VHS. As I understand it, all DVD releases of this film go by GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH and contain only Toho's "international" English dub and no rendition of "Save the Earth." Was there ever a legit release of GODZILLA VS. THE SMOG MONSTER'S AIP dub on DVD? 

Thanks.

Around the time I wrote the above question in May (which Randy Korstick kindly answered in the negative), this Blu-ray of the film came out:

http://www.amazon.co...he smog monster

When Korstick said the new ones don't have the AIP dub with "Save the Earth," I'm assuming he meant this release also.  Can someone please confirm this for me?

Thanks.

#169 of 177 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted November 13 2014 - 02:44 PM

I *thought* these were verified as simply being rehashes of the Sony releases which means international dubs.  AIP dubs require additional clearance time with Toho and expense, which implies that they would be advertised as a selling point.

#170 of 177 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted November 17 2014 - 08:08 AM

Toho's famous for not playing ball when it comes to the AIP dubs (IIRC it was one of the reasons that Destroy All Monsters got recalled).

#171 of 177 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted November 18 2014 - 03:59 PM

The only 3 that I haven't bought in BD are:

G vs Hedorah
G vs Gigan
G vs The Sea Monster

I have them on SD when they last released them. Should I buy these in BD or keep my SDs???
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#172 of 177 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted November 19 2014 - 06:25 AM

The only 3 that I haven't bought in BD are:

G vs Hedorah
G vs Gigan
G vs The Sea Monster

I have them on SD when they last released them. Should I buy these in BD or keep my SDs???

Its up to you, read the reviews see what you think.. the BDs are very cheap. Personally I wasnt blown away by the HD quality but they are serviceable. They are higher resolution, the discs are sturdier and take up less space on the shelf :)

#173 of 177 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted December 13 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hey guys -

TRSI has a handful of Godzilla Blus and DVDs on sale for 6 and 4 bucks each. Not a big deal if you have them all, but to fill in gaps it's pretty sweet.

http://www.rightstuf...em/101502/4/0/0

#174 of 177 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts

Posted December 15 2014 - 10:44 AM

godzilla-vs-biollante-still_5220bba49606

Thank you for your conscientious devotion to your fellow Godzilla fans Tony.

I've noticed that Lion's Gate has issued GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE (1989) on blu-ray.

Just how does this differ from the (now) discontinued Miramax blu-ray release (which I bought when it first came out)?

Should I get the Lion's Gate edition too?

Thank you and keep up the fine work!

https://www.youtube....h?v=arYwXXBXvlA

Jeff T.

#175 of 177 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted December 15 2014 - 02:22 PM

godzilla-vs-biollante-still_5220bba49606

Thank you for your conscientious devotion to your fellow Godzilla fans Tony.

I've noticed that Lion's Gate has issued GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE (1989) on blu-ray.

Just how does this differ from the (now) discontinued Miramax blu-ray release (which I bought when it first came out)?

Should I get the Lion's Gate edition too?

Thank you and keep up the fine work!

https://www.youtube....h?v=arYwXXBXvlA

Jeff T.

Others may have to confirm, but from what I understand the Lionsgate release is essentially the same as the corrected Echo Bridge release. The original EB had a flaw in the 5.1 track (the left surround channel was silent) that was corrected in later pressings.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#176 of 177 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts

Posted December 15 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'd better watch mine again during the holidays.  I (honestly) don't know whether I have a flawed one or not.  It was pre-ordered before the actual release.

Thank you for the informative response my friend!

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

#177 of 177 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,730 posts

Posted December 15 2014 - 09:46 PM

Hang on - let me get my copy off the shelf. . . .

Special features include Making of G vs Biolante and Behind the Design (I also seem to recall the trailer on here, but it's not listed on the back), the audio is 5.1 and 2.0 Japanese and 1.0 English, it comes with English subs, subtitle track for the English dub, and sub track for the on-screen text and signs and it's 16x9 with a run time of 104m.

Mind you, I dont have the older release to compare the two, so you'll have do some legwork of your own. . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users