Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Sony Officially Announces The PS4 To Arrive Q4 2013

PlayStation

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 of 107 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,054 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted November 17 2013 - 02:04 PM

Beautiful, please copy and paste that to the owners thread!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#102 of 107 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,817 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 29 2013 - 12:39 PM

I want to double-check: the PS4 isn't backward compatible with the PS3?I'm interested in getting a Ps3, but if the 4 was backward compat, that could get me to upgrade to next gen sooner than later.

Edited by DaveF, November 30 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#103 of 107 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 2,117 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted November 29 2013 - 12:42 PM

No, unfortunately the 4 is not backwards compatible

#104 of 107 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,343 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 03:29 PM

The PS4 does not recognize/play PS1/2/3 discs.  It does not even allow you to download older PS1/2/etc. games from the PSN (unless they were ported to the PS4, as is the case with a couple PSN games for PS3).  However, Sony bought a company a year and a half ago called Gaikai that does streaming gaming stuff (like OnLive) and they are working to make PS1/2/3/etc. games available to play through the internet on PS4 (and also PS Vita and PS Vita TV).  This technology is already used as the basis for PS4/Vita remote play.  They have not announced how exactly this will work, whether games you own can be read from a disc to verify you have the game and streamed from a server or must be purchased through PSN to work.So currently, the PS4 does not support backward compatibility.  The only current console that does is the Wii U, oddly enough, but only for Wii games and not GameCube games.  Microsoft is supposedly working on a similar streaming solution to get Xbox and Xbox 360 games on the One but they haven't announced anything remotely official on it.  Sony's service should debut next year.For the price of a refurbished PS3 and the cost of used PS3 games, you might as well get one instead of a new PS4.

#105 of 107 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 29 2013 - 06:44 PM

The PS4 does recognize PS3 games.  It won't play them, but you can use them to buy the digital upgrade.  If you do the upgrade ($10) you must have that disc in the system for it to run.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#106 of 107 OFFLINE   Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,343 posts

Posted November 29 2013 - 08:37 PM

Any game that is available for the digital upgrade plan is pointless to buy, honestly.  The PS3 and PS4 versions of games cost the same ($60) and any saved data does not transfer from one version to the other.  The idea for the upgrade was for people to buy a hit game on a current console ASAP and be able to move it to the next-gen console when they finally bought a new console, but that only seemed to matter if you were completely incapable of waiting a few weeks for the next gen version and console to come out.

#107 of 107 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,817 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 30 2013 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll look at the Craigslist market for used ps3's.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PlayStation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users