• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 of 107 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted May 20 2013 - 02:13 PM

It's looking to be a boxy PS3 Lite/Slim.  Also, the horizontal blue beam at the end of the teaser probably means there will be a long horizontal blue light on the console.  I'm curious as to whether it will be cool or ugly retro.

#22 of 107 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,828 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 21 2013 - 05:25 AM

I'm wondering what the disk load mechanism will be.  I like the trayless slider best, I have the latest cheapo PS3 which has no mechanization, its a roll off top, and hate that.

Seems like such a dumb little thing but it's an important detail.  I'll never ever ever load a game via disk, I am all digital, but I still expect to watch BluRays on this device.

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#23 of 107 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 21 2013 - 10:06 AM

That I wouldn't mind. When our original Wii died, I think we lost a disc inside (fortunately, I think it was Transformers, which we'd already finished).

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#24 of 107 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted May 22 2013 - 02:00 PM

I don't see the slot-loader being anything but the norm from here on out.

#25 of 107 Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• PipPipPip
  • 9,520 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted May 23 2013 - 08:00 AM

My interest in this has waned after seeing the cool XBox1 thing. My main concern is that I can stand it up like my PS3 since I have it crammed next to a record player in my rack.

Dumbest thing to base a buying decision on yet, I know. :P

My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#26 of 107 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,451 posts

Posted May 23 2013 - 08:00 AM

I know that anecdote =/ data, but I will say that over the decades, in my experience that tray loaders have proven more reliable to me than slot loaders. But many of the early slot loader failures were from machines made in the 90s. I think any slot loader made now should be as reliable as tray loaders.

Aaron - were you not able to take a screwdriver to the Wii to get your disc out? I've never tried to open a Wii but I know in an old PC with a slot load drive when the mechanism failed I removed the drive from the PC, opened the drive, and manually removed the disc.

#27 of 107 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 24 2013 - 06:47 AM

Not sure. . .I don't remember why I didn't try. I think I might've not realized that there might be a disc inside until after I traded it in (GameStop will take broken systems at a surprisingly reasonable discount).

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#28 of 107 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,828 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 04:27 PM

OK, back to non E3 PS4 discussion.  Good to know:

Dear Amazon.com Customer, 

Thank you for pre-ordering the PlayStation 4. Yesterday we made a change to the name of the product by adding "Launch" and "Standard" editions, which may have caused confusion for some of our customers. 

We are writing to confirm that you ordered the "Launch Edition," which is Release-Day Delivery eligible. All other aspects of the two editions are identical. 

You do not need to take any action or make any changes to your current order.

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#29 of 107 Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 719 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted June 13 2013 - 05:57 PM

And now it's sold out for that model. I really hope the PS4 is a huge hit - big enough to force Microsoft and publishers to reevaluate their policy on DRM. Sadly- they keep using Steam and the PC model as an example, but it doesn't hold up. Steam's average price and deals are FAR better than any pricing we'll see on the Xbone...

#30 of 107 mattCR

mattCR

Advanced Member

• 9,835 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:40 AM

Sam-

If it helps, the "Launch" and "Standard" are the exact same unit.  Launch just guarantees that you get it on Day 1 of release.  "Standard" is in their normal release method.   So, no difference. 

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#31 of 107 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• PipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:10 AM

They have shown a picture, look at the official UK site, it's there for all to see.

http://uk.playstation.com/ps4/

:EDIT:  I think i'm late to post, didn't notice this thread was started in February before images came out.  :lol:

PS4_09.jpg

Edited by FoxyMulder, June 14 2013 - 09:13 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#32 of 107 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,828 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:43 AM

Matt:  Yep my "Good to know" was in referencing that I got my order in on time for a day 1 delivery.  I should, I was refreshing Amazon like mad the second the price was official and I didn't stop until the order page was live.  I got in within the first 30 seconds =)

#33 of 107 DaveF

DaveF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,549 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 14 2013 - 05:01 PM

What is release day? Or embargo lift on reviews? When does real info start coming out?

#34 of 107 mattCR

mattCR

Advanced Member

• 9,835 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted June 14 2013 - 06:27 PM

At this point fave all they are saying is 'in time for Christmas.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#35 of 107 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 8,053 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 06:27 PM

None of that has been announced, Dave.  Most likely mid-to-late November, around black Friday, for both PS4 and XBOne.  As for reviews, that will probably be around then, too.  If the games are amazing then the review embargo might be earlier, but if they suck it might be the day of or day before launch.

#36 of 107 DaveF

DaveF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,549 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted June 15 2013 - 06:45 AM

Ah. I saw the pre-order frenzy and thought there was something definite to pay money for. Not yet.

#37 of 107 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,828 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 08:07 AM

Humbling, long, discussion by Marc Cerny regarding the failures of PS3 which informed the development of PS4:

http://www.engadget....ps4s-roots-and/

#38 of 107 Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,281 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:16 AM

Don't have time to watch it yet, but it looks like another great link from Samwise!

#39 of 107 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,460 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 04:03 PM

So the crux of that video was....."we created an architecture for PS3 so far ahead of its time that only 10 people at SONY actually understood how to use it"? He makes it sound like the PS4 architecture is actually a downgrade from the PS3 technically, but much easier for third party developers to understand and program for?

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#40 of 107 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Nutter

• 14,828 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 06:09 PM

It's about tradeoffs.  I'll take 9 million developers being able to get a super box at 100% of its potential over 100 developers maybe eaking out 100% of the potential of a super super box any day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PlayStation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users