What's new

Optoma hd20 bulb (1 Viewer)

Trauma1

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Hello all and thanks for reading; I was given a very nice Optoma HD80projector when a friend upgraded. The projector worked very well until the bulb died. I replaced it with an bulb that is NOT an original bulb but in fact an after market. (it was about 300.00 cheaper). my picture has a tremendous amount of "hot spots" or too much contrast. Is it the cheapo bulb or does it sound like I need to replace the unit entirely. I have tooled with all the different settings and if it gets better its a dull washed out pic. Thanks in advanced. (yesterday incorrectly put hd20 - it's actually an HD80.

Trauma1

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Okay. Thanks for that Sam. by your response I suppose the bulb is my problem. Now, a new projector is about 300 more than an original bulb. Is it worth the extra money for a new unit or should I be ok? I ask that because I have no idea if there are other components that periodically go bad as a norm. thanks again in advance.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
Sorry your bulb is giving you problems. Unfortunately their are some cheapo bulbs being advertised out there. A good place for bulbs is VisualApex, Amazon, and of course Optoma. I would replace the bulb for now, and save your money for the next year or so then when the next bulb goes out, upgrade the projector. I usually do three bulbs then upgrade. I go through a bulb in about 12 to 18 months. By then your display is at least 4.5 years old and you are due for an upgrade.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
Sorry your bulb is giving you problems. Unfortunately their are some cheapo bulbs being advertised out there. A good place for bulbs is VisualApex, Amazon, and of course Optoma. I would replace the bulb for now, and save your money for the next year or so then when the next bulb goes out, upgrade the projector. I usually do three bulbs then upgrade. I go through a bulb in about 12 to 18 months. By then your display is at least 4.5 years old and you are due for an upgrade.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Trauma1 said:
Hello all and thanks for reading; I was given a very nice Optoma HD80projector when a friend upgraded. The projector worked very well until the bulb died. I replaced it with an bulb that is NOT an original bulb but in fact an after market. (it was about 300.00 cheaper). my picture has a tremendous amount of "hot spots" or too much contrast. Is it the cheapo bulb or does it sound like I need to replace the unit entirely. I have tooled with all the different settings and if it gets better its a dull washed out pic. Thanks in advanced. (yesterday incorrectly put hd20 - it's actually an HD80.
The HD80 u have is six years old u can get the newer model 4 about 1299.99!!! & it has 3D! New bulb is under $300.00. I have the HD 180 which is 2 years old. That was under $1.000.00. I say go with a newer model. My bulb is still going.:D

Trauma1

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
Thank you ALL very much for the strong advice. I need to find a good vendor now. Looked at B&H and their lamp is 399.00!!! ouch!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Have you tried contacting Pureland for a replacement? They get good reviews for customer service...but you are still buying a Chinese Knock-off bulb.

Trauma1

Auditioning
Real Name
Fred
yes. they will only honor 30 days post purchase. I have learned my lesson. I won't buy seconds any more. A 400.00 light bulb stings! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks