What's new

Anyone else want NATIONAL VELVET (1944) on Blu? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'd love to see National Velvet (1944) starring Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney, and Angela Lansbury on Blu-ray. The DVD is ancient and has always looked awful. I think it was one of the first MGM released back in 1997, and when Warner acquired the MGM catalogue, they just re-packaged the same disc. Apparently it's a big seller for Warner, so it would make sense to see it remastered on Blu-ray.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Glad to see some other fans of this classic--hopefully WB is listening! :) WB owns many of Elizabeth Taylor's films, and so far they've only released the documentary, "That's Entertainment!" Thankfully "Giant" will be out this year.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Great, lovely film. Count me in. Young Taylor did look lovely in Technicolor, didn't she? One could tell she was going to grow up to be a real stunner.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
bujaki said:
Great, lovely film. Count me in. Young Taylor did look lovely in Technicolor, didn't she? One could tell she was going to grow up to be a real stunner.
I was surprised when I recently watched the Orson Welles version of Jane Eyre (1943) and found an uncredited Elizabeth Taylor in the role of one of Jane's young schoolgirl friends.

Even in glorious (and dramatic) black & white, it was obvious she was going to grow up to be an absolute stunner!

JaneEyre.jpg

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
NATIONAL VELVET is long overdue for a proper restoration. It is one of the most beautifully shot and well made films of the era, and has never looked particularly good on home video.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mark Collins said:
Sorry Mike!!
That's why I have my own rule of reading each post at least four times before I respond. I miss things all the time.

;)
Mark B said:
NATIONAL VELVET is long overdue for a proper restoration. It is one of the most beautifully shot and well made films of the era, and has never looked particularly good on home video.
And fairly popular, for goodness' sake. I would think it would do pretty well in sales.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
When I asked about it on a chat with WB here about 10 years ago, they did say it was one of their most popular films on DVD. Hopefully Mickey Rooney's death yesterday will accelerate things.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
And when I re-read one of my own posts a while after posting and spot a glaring error, I remember a dictum I was taught as a cadet journalist at my old newspaper The Age here in Melbourne, 'Never sub your own copy'. You can stare forever at your own mistake and not see it!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
If you've ever seen a 35mm IB Tech print of this, and gazed at a close up of Velvet Brown's face, and those violet eyes, you'd know that this, properly done, would be a knockout of a BD. Plus, it won Anne Revere an Oscar; it's one of Rooney's best roles as he transitioned into adulthood; Clarence Brown's direction is wonderful (and unsung); and you also get to see a young Angela Lansbury. This film is a treasure.
Yes, we want a BD release of this great family film.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Warners is re-releasing the DVD (yet again) for one of their TCM double-feature packs, paired with "Lassie Come Home". I think that says a lot about their plan for any Blu release in the near future...

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I agree with everyone who said this film needs a restoration. A wonderful film, beautifully shot in Technicolor, but the DVD has registration errors all over the place. Imagine just how good the Blu-ray can look, even if it's only done through the Warner Archive.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
It was just announced that National Velvet will screen at the TCM Film Festival this Sunday as a tribute to Mickey Rooney. I'll be at the festival and hoping to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks