Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BLU-RAY DISCS FROM FRANCE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#101 of 108 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted November 23 2014 - 09:23 AM

Has anybody imported Necronomicon blu-ray and could they please comment on the image quality.

#102 of 108 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted December 12 2014 - 10:37 AM

My LOST WORLD arrived and it looks fantastic.  The subs are removable and the BD disc is region free.  There are several nice extras which are only in French and, sadly, haven't English subs.  Still, the widescreen image is gorgeous and the film remains a delightful guilty pleasure.  Highly recommended.  The 20's version is included, but it looks just as dreadful as the one on the old DVD.  Supposedly a BD of that version is in the works according to a post at NitrateVille.  I also received the giant boxed DVD set of the films of JEAN EPSTEIN, all of which have English subs. It's expensive but if you love early influential avant-garde films, all silent with nice scores, it is worth every cent. 

#103 of 108 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted December 12 2014 - 01:32 PM

Thanks Ed. I'm sure I'll end up buying The Lost World. I never saw it at the cinema, & at one time in the early sixties it was the film I most wanted to see. I had the Dell Movie Classics comic of it, & read it 'till it fell apart. When it finally did turn up on TV I was a wee bit disappointed, but still enjoyed it, as you say, a guilty pleasure. It's films from my past that I most enjoy on Blu-ray, sixties & fifties films I saw on TV in the sixties.

#104 of 108 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,482 posts

Posted December 17 2014 - 09:35 PM

The 1960 LOST WORLD is a dumb-as-nails movie (as are most Irwin Allen films), with sophomoric dialog and characters, and the ending with Professor Challenger misidentifying a newly-hatched dino is an insult to all 5-year-olds who know better. Still, as earlier mentioned, this is a guilty pleasure, one of the cornerstones of my Saturday matinee past, plus it features a truly wonderful music score by Paul Sawtell and Bert Shefter (available on CD). My order is in!

#105 of 108 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,653 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 15 2015 - 10:31 AM

My LOST WORLD arrived and it looks fantastic.  The subs are removable and the BD disc is region free.  There are several nice extras which are only in French and, sadly, haven't English subs.  Still, the widescreen image is gorgeous and the film remains a delightful guilty pleasure.  Highly recommended. 

Yup, you're right, this has just been on the telly in HD (Film Four) & it looks great, if only the Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Blu-ray had looked this good. I hope the re-master comes close.

#106 of 108 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted February 15 2015 - 09:29 PM

Yup, you're right, this has just been on the telly in HD (Film Four) & it looks great, if only the Journey To The Centre Of The Earth Blu-ray had looked this good. I hope the re-master comes close.

Yes I watched the TV broadcast of THE LOST WORLD as well. I couldn't help thinking that it looked so much brighter and sharper than LUST FOR LIFE which BBC2 showed again about a week ago.

#107 of 108 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted March 13 2015 - 12:56 AM

Has anybody imported Necronomicon blu-ray and could they please comment on the image quality.

I can now answer my own question. The image quality is superb, much better than I expected and superior in every way to the DVD. Although she isn't in the film for very long, I recommend it for fans of Belinda Bauer.

#108 of 108 OFFLINE   Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 661 posts

Posted March 23 2015 - 12:29 PM

A nice BD of the Korda The Jungle Book is available from Amazon France.  It is sometimes soft (where the DVD was) which is due to the surviving materials, but it often turns quite vivid and sharp.  All in all, a HUGE improvement and as good as we will probably ever see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users